Windows 10: Can't see inside other PCs on network

Discus and support Can't see inside other PCs on network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I posted this originally in the Insiders section --but got no response -- so I'm reposting it here. I have a Win8.1 PC that I use as a file server,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mark Phelps, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Can't see inside other PCs on network

I posted this originally in the Insiders section --but got no response -- so I'm reposting it here.

I have a Win8.1 PC that I use as a file server, so I regularly connect to it, using "tried and true" accessing techniques that have worked fine for years.

I set up the drives on that PC using Advanced Sharing so that "everyone" has read access to the entire drive (all folders) and "everyone" also has read/write access to specific shared folders on each drive. This has worked fine for years, without problems.

This includes my desktop, which is running Win8.1 and Win10 Pro.

Then recently, I rejoined the Insider program and installed the Insider build on a separate drive in my desktop. Current build is 15031.

But, in the Insider build, I can not network to the file server. Every attempt is met with a demand to enter a password! The popup says Enter network credentials and will not work with any passwords I give it.

I have disabled IPV6 in the adapter settings because I read those can cause problems -- but I really need to get this working.

Can anyone help?

:)

Mark Phelps, Feb 14, 2017
  2. GaryW2 Win User

Windows 10 PC can't see other PCs on network

Dell4's solution worked for me.

I had to do a "Network Reset" for each of the three computers on my home network. Now each computer can see the other networked computers and browse their folders.

GaryW2, Feb 14, 2017
  3. Windows 10 PC can't see other PCs on network

I realise that I am necroposting here but, as seems to happen surprisingly frequently these days, this looks to be one of those problems that has raised its head again when you would have hoped that it had been fixed once and for all.

As you say, there does appear to be a documented issue with Creators Update. I remember having this problem way back but couldn't find the thread with the info so thanks for the link.

The odd thing is that my all of my PCs had been working fine on Creators Update until yesterday when I installed KB4040724 and every one of them stopped being able to see any computers on the WORKGROUP.

I could still connect by name or IP but they weren't being enumerated in network explorer.

Starting the "Function Discovery Resource Publication" and "Function Discovery Provider Host" services on all the PCs resolved the problem (the USB disk plugged into my router isn't enumerated but that may be by design).

Anyone know why the services sometimes start and sometimes don't or why whatever used to trigger a start of those services doesn't trigger it any more?

technodevotee, Feb 14, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Can't see inside other PCs on network

When you connect by default it passes your username and password that your logged in with so if you \\pc1\fred and use another pc you may connect with \\pc2\fred which wont have access it depends how you setup the share permissions

Samuria, Feb 14, 2017
  5. Sorry, I don't understand ...

With Win10 Pro, I open file explore, click on Network -- it shows this PC and the server box. (as does Windows Insider)

I then double-click on the server box -- it opens. Then, I double-click on the "drive" I want, and it opens -- and I can see all the folders.

I should mention that I "cloned" the Win10Pro setup to the Insider drive and then Updated that install using an Insider ISO -- so the network settings are exactly the SAME across the two instances. I also have other Win10 PCs and they can access the same file server without problems. It is ONLY the INSIDER instance that has the problems.

What is different with this version of Win10 such that does not work anymore?

Mark Phelps, Feb 14, 2017
  6. hldvuong Win User
    Which is your Windows 10 version ?
    and your network is workgroup or domain ?

Case 1 : your network is domain
    Some version windows not support domain, such as:
    Windows 8 SL or Windows 10 SL (Single Language)
    --> your computer cannot joint to domain: you cannot see another PC in network
    so you must use the stronger version: Windows 8 Pro or Windows 10 Pro
    to joint to domain

Case 2: your network is workgroup
    + you must setting right workgroup name
    Workgroup Name - Change in Windows 10

+ Turn on service Workstation :
    Start or Stop Workstation service from command line (CMD)

+ Open port in windows firewall:
    Inbound Rules: enable all rules: "File and Printer Sharing....." and "Network Discovery..."
    Outbound Rules: enable all rules: "File and Printer Sharing....." and "Network Discovery..."

Good luck.

hldvuong, Feb 14, 2017
  7. It's funny how the simple things always get you ...

So after checking ALL the networking settings on my desktop and confirming that they all match (i.e., Win8.1, Win10 Pro, Win10 Inside), I noticed the one thing that was different was I was signing into Win10 Inside using my MSN account.

So, I change that to a local account (like in the other OSs) and now, I can network just fine!

Mark Phelps, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't see inside other PCs on network

1. Can't see inside other PCs on network - Similar Threads - Can't inside PCs

2. Windows 10 PCs can't see each other

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 PCs can't see each other: I have two PCs both running Windows 10 and ESET Antivirus and Firewall. When they are both on Network 1 they can see each other and share folders happily. Then, if I move them to Network 2 they can no longer see each other or share folders. The only change I make to both is...
  3. Windows 10 PCs can't see each other

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 PCs can't see each other: I have two PCs both running Windows 10 and ESET Antivirus and Firewall. When they are both on Network 1 they can see each other and share folders happily. Then, if I move them to Network 2 they can no longer see each other or share folders. The only change I make to both is...
  4. Windows 10 PCs can't see each other

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Networking problems- can't see other PCs

Networking problems- can't see other PCs: We have a home networking router Nighthawk 7000 setup with 3 PCs 2 are Win 10 Home, 1 is Win 7 Home connected with ethernet, two Win 10 Home laptops connected via wifi. Here is the current state of affairs, under Explorer>Network: The Dell Win 7 PC can see all shared...
  6. cannot see other pcs on network????

cannot see other pcs on network????: all of a sudden, i cannot see the other 2 pcs on my network, nor can they see me. i have win 10 64 home on all, all updates as of today, have made sure 2 Function services are started, and all SMB file sharing boxes are checked in windows programs and features. i even tried...
  7. Some network PCs not seeing each other

Some network PCs not seeing each other: I have 5 PCs on my network, all running Windows10. Some are connected to the router by ethernet, others by wifi: it doesn't seem to matter which. A, B and C can see all 5 including themselves. Both D and E can only see B and D. What could be stopping them seeing all five?...
  8. Home network - can't get all PCs to see each other

Home network - can't get all PCs to see each other: I have a home network with 2 PCs (C & B) and 2 laptops (C & D) all running Windows 10 with latest update. Using File Explorer - Network - A can see B & self (A) B can see A & self (B) C can see A & B but not self (C) D can see A & B and self (D) but not C A can see and...
  9. New Win 10 PCs cannot see other PCs on network

New Win 10 PCs cannot see other PCs on network: I have 4 computers on a local private network. Previously these were 2 Windows 10 laptops which had been upgraded from Windows 7, 1 Windows 7 desktop and 1 Linux desktop. At that time all 4 computers could see every computer on the network and were set up so each could share...
  10. PCs Can't See Each Other On A Network

PCs Can't See Each Other On A Network: Hi Our network has not been working properly for ages but we've coped. Now, however, I want to get it working as it should do. Our network comprises three PCs, our two main PCs and a spare which does get used on a regular basis. All are connected via ethernet cables and...