Windows 10: Can't see motherboard temperature [broken sensor ?]

Discus and support Can't see motherboard temperature [broken sensor ?] in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was rendering video when I noticed that in Speccy my Motherboard (CPUSocket) temperature was ridiculously high (90C), I turned my pc off to check... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bambucha, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Bambucha Win User

Can't see motherboard temperature [broken sensor ?]

I was rendering video when I noticed that in Speccy my Motherboard (CPUSocket) temperature was ridiculously high (90C), I turned my pc off to check those temps in UEFI and there it was only ~30C so Speccy was probably showing wrong temps. But when I turned my pc back on to check them again it on Speccy, it wasn't displaying any temps where it was before. Tried downloading HWMonitor, but it didn't show anything also.May it be that it actually showed close to real temps and it burned the sensor off, and it doesn't display any temps now [if it's even possible]?Motherboard - ASRock B250M Pro4

:)

Bambucha, Mar 25, 2017
  2. auggy Win User

Motherboard temp = or >100° C

Consider the issue may be with the Speccy software or perhaps the sensor.

Try another software such as
    HWMonitor
    and see if the same result.

Seems other users have reported similar issue with Speccy such as
    here.

auggy, Mar 25, 2017
  3. TallFry Win User
    Windows 10 keeps freezing my computer randomly

So far y problem has turned out to be a hardware issue. I downloaded the program called "speccy", and it told me my motherboard was at 118 degrees celsius. I reached into my rig and it was cold. If you have an asus motherboard, it might have a faulty temperature
    sensor. You may want to check it out.

TallFry, Mar 25, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Try another program just to be certain its not Speccy. You could try Speedfan.

swarfega, Mar 25, 2017
  5. Bambucha Win User
    Bambucha, Mar 25, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    It could be a faulty sensor, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to provide further insight.

swarfega, Mar 25, 2017
  7. Bambucha Win User
    If the sensor is faulty, would it not show in UEFI also (which I can see it in there)? Or UEFI uses some other direct sensor?
    Plus it was working just fine, prior to the mentioned render. The mobo is quite new, just built my new pc.

Bambucha, Mar 25, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

Yes indeed it would not show in BIOS if its faulty so worth checking there. Did you perform any sort of stress tests after building the PC? Have a look at this article for some ideas.

swarfega, Mar 25, 2017
  9. Bambucha Win User
    Check the picture I linked in original post of UEFI H/W monitor, it's working fine there.
    Nope, didn't perform any stress tests. I haven't received other temperature spikes or performance issues when gaming or rendering videos other than this motherboard socket sensor temperature issue.

Bambucha, Mar 25, 2017
  10. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    The temperature sensor for the CPU is normally on the CPU. So if it failed there I would think you would be having more problems than this!

You could try a CPU reset.
    Turn off the PC, switch off the power supply (or unplug the cord), Remove the 3v battery on the board, press the power button for a few seconds, put everything back and power on.
    See if the CPU reports normally.
    (For extra measure you could perform a ClearCMOS/CLRTC procedure at the same time)

Warning: this procedure will reset ALL your UEFI BIos settings to defaults. If you have made customizations, make sure you record them so you can set everything back again before starting into Windows.

11. Bambucha Win User
    Hm, you're saying this about CPU, but I can see my CPU temperatures. I can't see the motherboard/cpu socket temperatures. Or I didn't quite get it right (will that CPU reset work for resetting cpu socket sensors)?

Bambucha, Mar 25, 2017
  12. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Yes. The reset does nothing to the CPU. It resets the motherboard and the Bios settings.
    This forces the OS to repopulate it'd device information.

The ClearCMOS/CLRTC procedure clears everything in Bios, and makes the motherboard re-enumerate all devices, and the OS to do so also.

13. Bambucha Win User

Wait, then I guess I'll skip the ClearCMOS/CLRTC procedure and do the CPU reset only as I don't want to reset/resintall my OS. And that CPU reset wouldn't do anything such like, it's safe to do? Could't find any info on 'CPU Reset' on google for more info.

Bambucha, Mar 25, 2017
  14. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    No, sorry, you misunderstood.
    Neither procedure does anything to your OS installation.

Every time you start your PC, the OS checks with the BIOS to see if any hardware has changed. This is what I meant by "repopulate it's device information".
    In your case we hope that the temp sensor comes back on once the hardware list is refreshed.

15. Bambucha Win User
    Oh, sorry, yes I misunderstood then. Alright I'll try it then, tho I would need to remove gpu in order to get to that 3v battery. And in your #8 post you said
    , what kind of power button? Is there a power button once I remove the battery?
    Read it about here - 3 Ways to Reset Your BIOS - wikiHow
    Also found out that there are 3 methods in the article, 2 of whom you mentioned. Are there any advantages or disadvantages which method you use to reset the BIOS?

Bambucha, Mar 25, 2017
Thema:

1. Can't see motherboard temperature [broken sensor ?] - Similar Threads - Can't motherboard temperature

2. Windows Hello drivers/sensors broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello drivers/sensors broken: So one day I opened the computer, expecting the amazing smiley face I love seeing. But then, windows said it was unavailable for some reason. So i checked why and saw some other questions in the Microsoft Community about the same problem. So then I ended up in the Device...
  3. Windows Hello drivers/sensors broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Hello drivers/sensors broken: So one day I opened the computer, expecting the amazing smiley face I love seeing. But then, windows said it was unavailable for some reason. So i checked why and saw some other questions in the Microsoft Community about the same problem. So then I ended up in the Device...
  4. Realtek audio or motherboard broken?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Realtek audio or motherboard broken?: Now for little more than 8 months i have tried a few methods trying to get my mic to work on my computer. First the mic just quit working on the chat app discord and worked on the program related to the headset Razor headset with razer synapse to be exact 1 time before that i...
  5. Why can't I see my GPU's temperature in Windows 10 Task Manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why can't I see my GPU's temperature in Windows 10 Task Manager: I notice my GPU is running very loud and the PC is blowing out quite a lot of hot air, so I wanted to see what temperature the GPU is currently at to find out if I should install another case fan. But upon looking at my task manager it is apparent that it is not being...
  6. windows update seems to have broken motherboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows update seems to have broken motherboard: As I turned my desktop on this morning 21,03,2020 windows started updating, when it was finished my HDMI ports stopped working. luckily my spare monitor is using DVI so still worked. Now windows had booted in a different aspect ratio than normal and there were a few things...
  7. Display wireless temperature sensor data bytes in CLI using python

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Display wireless temperature sensor data bytes in CLI using python: Hi, I need some suggestion to create the Ethernet communication between Arduino and my PC and read the data in bytes format in Command line interface using python script. Also, Arduino is connected with wireless modem which receives from wireless temperature sensor and using...
  8. Display wireless temperature sensor data bytes in CLI using python

in Windows 10 Support
    Display wireless temperature sensor data bytes in CLI using python: Hi, I need some suggestion to create the Ethernet communication between Arduino and my PC and read the data in bytes format in Command line interface using python script. Also, Arduino is connected with wireless modem which receives from wireless temperature sensor and using...
  9. Windows 10 Temperature Sensor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Temperature Sensor: I know that Windows 10 has a temperature sensor that defaults each disk drive to 60 or 61 Degrees and sounds an alarm if a drive goes above the temperature setting. How do I Change the alarm temperature setting maximum value? I have 5 machines and all are version Windows...
  10. Motherboard sensor no longer working with windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Motherboard sensor no longer working with windows 10: Do I really need to re-install 8.1 to see if it's a software issue? Because before I went to 10, it worked fine. But now in speccy and OpenHardwareMonitor, I am unable to get a reading. Obviously, if you can't tell, I'm a bit of a noob. Any thoughts or help? 21361

Users found this page by searching for:

1. temperature sensor broken windows 10