Windows 10: Can't See Shared Win10 Machine/Seeker in workgroup but shows in domain

Discus and support Can't See Shared Win10 Machine/Seeker in workgroup but shows in domain in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have scoured the Networking and Sharing portion of this Win 10 Forum for an answer to my issue but have not found anything that works. We have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by cmilstead, Jan 21, 2016.

1. cmilstead Win User

Can't See Shared Win10 Machine/Seeker in workgroup but shows in domain

I have scoured the Networking and Sharing portion of this Win 10 Forum for an answer to my issue but have not found anything that works.

We have a peer to peer network, with one Win 10 machine (acting as server - which we call server) which shares several hard drives for everyone in the office to access. It has network discovery on, file and printer sharing on, turn off password protected sharing off. It has all the drives named and shared properly so everyone has full access. All the other Win 7, and Win 8 machines have complete access as designed. Another Win 10 machine has complete access as designed. All machines are part of the same workgroup Engineer. My machine is a Lenovo laptop which was upgraded from Win 8 to Win 10. When I try to access the Win 10 machine (which is acting as server), I get the Enter Network credentials pop-up asking for Username and Password which we do not use nor have ever set up on the Win 10 machine or any other. I know that there are several posts that have the Enter Network credentials popping up, but the difference is that their screenshot showed them as part of a workgroup. See the following:

Can't See Shared Win10 Machine/Seeker in workgroup but shows in domain [​IMG]

When I get the same pop-up on my Lenovo Laptop It looks like the following:

My System Properties information:

Notice that the example above which is part of the workgroup has no reference to a domain. My pop-up on the Laptop shows reference to a domain, and whats interesting is that the domain is the computer name of the laptop itself. There are no domains set up on any machine of our peer to peer network. I think what needs to be done is the Laptop needs to be convinced it is not part of a domain but part of a workgroup called Engineer, and that might be one step in solving the problem. I wouldn't doubt that after solving that issue that a lot of the others listed in other threads will rear their ugly heads afterwords, but who knows, knowing how to resolve that might solve all my problems. Any ideas community?

Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

cmilstead, Jan 21, 2016
  2. bitbob Win User

Cannot get 10 to recognize other win 7 computers in a workgroup after being set to share

No there is no server and thus no domain just a peer workgroup. Yes the error states that there is no such network path. I have found that I can access the shares via command line with IP addresses. At first I could not open the shares however until I
    discovered that giving share rites to everyone did not show up as security rites. After I added everyone to the security rights I was able to access the shares with command line IP addressable shares. So I guess my questions morphs to why can't the win10 machines
    see the Names of the private Lan computers so they can be accessed without resorting to IP addresses. Why isn't internal local network communication providing this data to the windows 10 computer?

bitbob, Jan 21, 2016
  3. After the 1511 update, the windows 10 pc's cannot see other shares if it is not the master browser

Thanks for replying. Still the problem remains: the windows 10 machine cannot see all the shared pc's, only itself and a windows 7 pc. not even a windows server 2012r2 datacenter in workgroup mode(no domain). It has to be the MB to see all pcs and shares

SrCorrecto, Jan 21, 2016
  4. cmilstead Win User

No one has seen this problem?

cmilstead, Jan 24, 2016
  5. rhansen Win User
    Are you using a Microsoft account? I've had trouble accessing shares from within a Microsoft account. The only solution was to create a Microsoft account on the host machine and log in to that. The other solution is to use a local account to access the share.

Just a stab in the dark.

rhansen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't See Shared Win10 Machine/Seeker in workgroup but shows in domain - Similar Threads - Can't Shared Win10

2. domain to workgroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    domain to workgroup: Hi Is it possible to change a domain account to microsoft account and move the computer from the domian to a workgroupRolf https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/domain-to-workgroup/d2eb94fe-13c4-488f-a1b2-0961207b8555
  3. domain to workgroup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    domain to workgroup: Hi Is it possible to change a domain account to microsoft account and move the computer from the domian to a workgroupRolf https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/domain-to-workgroup/d2eb94fe-13c4-488f-a1b2-0961207b8555
  4. domain to workgroup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Workgroup computers not showing/sharing properly

Workgroup computers not showing/sharing properly: Hi. I have 2 computers in my home, one family computer and one personal. I was running Windows 7 on my personal machine and Windows 10 on the family with no problems with workgroup or sharing. I recently upgraded my personal computer to Windows 10 and now I cannot get the...
  6. Domain and Workgroup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Domain and Workgroup: I want to know if I setup domain then what is the benefit and if I setup homegroup then what is the benefit, which one is more useful. I read two articles from google but did not clear my queries: https://hubsadda.com/domain-vs-workgroup/...
  7. Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder

Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder: Hi, I have a home network that is a simple workgroup. There is an NAS that has some shared folders on the network, with some media servers, etc. I have a desktop computer attached to the router through cable, some laptops, tablets, cell phone, etc. that are attached to the...
  8. Is it possible to Share a Windows 10 machine on a WorkGroup

Is it possible to Share a Windows 10 machine on a WorkGroup: Hello I'm trying to access a Windows 10 Machine on a Worgroup from My Windows 7 Machine From the Windows 7 machine I can browse the Windows 7 Machine But when I try to acces the windows 10 Machine it requires Username Password and the single ADMIN username / Password used...
  9. Another can't see other shares in Workgroup thread.

Another can't see other shares in Workgroup thread.: Ever since the Win10 1709 update, my network has gone off the rails. I'm hoping you folks can help me get it back. I have three computers connected through a router. An office computer, shop computer and a laptop. The office and shop are hard wired and the laptop is...
  10. Windows 10 PC can't see other shares in Workgroup

Windows 10 PC can't see other shares in Workgroup: We set up our small business network as a Workgroup awhile ago with all Windows XP computers. Some have been since upgraded to Windows 7, others to Windows 10. The most important issue is a folder on an XP machine that all others in the network need to be able to access....