Windows 10: Can't See Wife's Files

Discus and support Can't See Wife's Files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am using my wife's notebook. I changed the login to my name. Now I see all the files, etc I have created, but none of the old files. I don't recall... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DrDave969798, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Can't See Wife's Files

I am using my wife's notebook. I changed the login to my name. Now I see all the files, etc I have created, but none of the old files. I don't recall that account user name either. When I login, the login screen is not showing other accounts. It goes directly to mine. Note, I did not change the account password. So we are using the original pwd, but with my name as the user name.

What have I done and can I get to her files?

:)

DrDave969798, Apr 13, 2016
  2. REHolt Win User

Local network access

This didn't really help; I know HOW to do it, but it isn't working. I did use your reply as a reference, and double checked everything. I all appears to be set up correctly, and it works sometimes and from some computers.

From my Wife's desktop computer, I can see all of the other computers/laptops and can access their files.

From the 3D printer Laptop I can't even see my wife's desktop, but I can see my main laptop and sometimes I can even access the document files.

From my main laptop I can see my wife's computer in HomeGroup, but not in Windows Explorer. I can see the 3D printer laptop, but most of the time I can't access files. Sometimes the 3D printer laptop shows up on the explorer menu, but when I try to access
    the files, it says it doesn't exist. Yet, I am connected to it using Remote Desktop with no problems.

REHolt, Apr 13, 2016
  3. jamimer Win User
    Not showing DCIM folder in digital cameras

I'm having the same issue with a Nikon D700 and a Nikon D5100. I was able to download the files just fine on my wife's computer which has Windows 8 but can't see the DCIM folder on my computer with Windows 10.

jamimer, Apr 13, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Can't See Wife's Files

Right click on the start icon, click on Command (Admin). Enter:
    net users

What user accounts get listed?

Also, what folders show up under C:\Users?

NavyLCDR, Apr 13, 2016
  5. I get
    User accounts for \\MARSHALL-HP

Under Administrator appears
    Marshall
    The command completed successfully

DrDave969798, Apr 13, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Then that is the only user account on the computer. If Marshall, Default, and Public are the only folders under C:\Users, then that is all there is. How did you change the login to your name? When you delete a user account, it also deletes the files created by that user.

I would start looking for a florist to buy some flowers from....

NavyLCDR, Apr 13, 2016
  7. I think you are RIGHT.
    I have found one of her old files in C:\Users\Marshall\Documents

Still looking
    One hope to yet search .... she NEVER cleans her email sent/received files
    It may be there because she did send it

DrDave969798, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't See Wife's Files

1. Can't See Wife's Files - Similar Threads - Can't Wife's Files

2. i can't see .cur files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i can't see .cur files: I set the .cur files to open with Photoshop for editing. Then Photoshop said that the .cur format is not supported. I change the default format opener to nothing and now I can't see the .cur icon in the mouse settings. Previously, when I went to the mouse properties section...
  3. wife

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wife: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E4%BD%A0%E5%A5%BD/7f45c485-3c80-4c68-a17c-f69f4631f2fc
  4. wife

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wife: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E4%BD%A0%E5%A5%BD/7f45c485-3c80-4c68-a17c-f69f4631f2fc
  5. Can't see Files in a Folder Error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't see Files in a Folder Error: I can't see on my desktop my folders or what's in them and the pictures as well. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-see-files-in-a-folder-error/f62eb12e-4490-4108-a48e-1939300f90e9
  6. Can't see my files.

Can't see my files.: I recorded a bunch of clips and cut them over to a external drive windows 10 and now in that folder I can't see the files, there are some older files but when I check the space of them 63 GB but when I check the space of the folder it says 242 GB and inside the folder it says...
  7. I Can't See Wife's Computer; Hers Can See MIne

I Can't See Wife's Computer; Hers Can See MIne: My and my wife's machines are on version 1909 OS Build 18363.1016. Real simple problem: on our home network, my wife's machine can browse into my machine and see and change files. My machine can't even see hers. I went to this page: Share Files and Folders Over a Network...
  8. I Can't See Wife's Computer; Hers Can See MIne

I Can't See Wife's Computer; Hers Can See MIne: My and my wife's machines are on version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1016). Real simple problem: on our home network, my wife's machine can browse into my machine and see and change files. My machine can't even see hers. I went to this page: Share Files and Folders Over a Network...
  9. Can't see backup files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't see backup files: I'm running Windows 10 and using Windows Backup. It's set to back up to a Toshiba external drive. It says that it's backing up files every day. When I open the Toshiba drive I see no Windows backup files. I have it set to show hidden files. I am the administrator. I...
  10. Can't See Hidden Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't See Hidden Files: I ran into a recent problem where I can no longer see hidden folders or files. Yesterday or the day before I could but now I can't . On the drive and folder my hidden folder is in, when I go to re-select the View and then click the Hidden Item box, the menu closes without...