Windows 10: Can't see Win8.1 machine anymore

Discus and support Can't see Win8.1 machine anymore in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've converted three different machines to Win10, and before the conversion, all three could see a Win8.1 tower PC that I used a data storage machine.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mark Phelps, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Can't see Win8.1 machine anymore

I've converted three different machines to Win10, and before the conversion, all three could see a Win8.1 tower PC that I used a data storage machine.

Now, after the conversion, only two of the machines can network to the tower PC.

The HP laptop, which I converted most recently, can not even see the tower PC in the list of networked devices.

I don't use HomeGroups, so I disabled the associated services on all three PCs. I also confirmed that all three PCs use the same named WorkGroup.

Of the three Win10 PCs, two are running Home and one is running Pro, but the Home desktop sees the Tower PC, the Home laptop does not.

I regularly use the network connection to do backups of the three PCs to the Tower PC, and even though the wireless is slower, it's till faster than copying the backup image file to a USB stick and then reading that in the Tower PC. So, I would like to continue to use the network connection.

The laptop connects to the Internet just fine, so it's not a general networking problem.

Don't really want to have to restore the laptop to Win7 because of this small problem.

But ... I'm at a loss what to try at this point.

:)

Mark Phelps, Feb 17, 2016
  2. Mbk88888 Win User

Windows 10 printer sharing to homegroup fails and homegroup Win 8.1 and Win7 PCs not found

I have a Windows 10 PC upgraded from Windows 7 with a shared printer connected to it. I want to print from another PC in the house, that runs Win8.1. The previously working printer sharing on USB003 with the usual suspects set correctly (network discovery,
    printer sharing etc) does not work after upgrade to Win10. I tried leaving and re-joining the homegroup on source and target PCs. The passwords are found correctly and the homegroup joining process works. But now the Win10 machine cannot see the Win7 and Win8.1
    machines anymore. All the while, the Win8.1 machine can see the others and even sees the default printer of the Win10 machine with a green check mark in "devices and printers". The Win8.1 machine however does not see the Win10 printer under the PC, just in
    "devices and printers". Any attempts to set printer prefs or to print to the Win10 machine's printer from the Win8.1 PC fails as "you do not have access to this printer". Attempts to open the network icon of the Win10 machine from within the Win8.1 machine
    fails with a request for username and password. All PCs claim to have joined the homegroup properly, and all troubleshooters on all machines find no issues. Any solutions?

Mbk88888, Feb 17, 2016
  3. Mbk88888 Win User
    Windows 10 ate my printer and sharing capabilities - how to fix

My printer sharing from Win8.1 machine to Win10 machine also stopped working, and the Win10 machine can't see the others. All troubleshooters on all machines (homegroup, printing, network) claim there is no problem.

Mbk88888, Feb 17, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Can't see Win8.1 machine anymore

It is possible that this has to do with "Master Browser" settings for networked devices. If you Google this you will see that W10 has a problem in finding network PC or devices if it is not the master browser on the network. Whether or not your PC is the Master Browser depends on if it was the first device powered up or if other devices have been turned off that were previously assigned as the Master Browser on the network.

You can check the devices on your network as follows:

1.Open up a command prompt
    2.Type net view and hit enter
    3.Look at the list of computer names. These are the computers on your LAN. Note that the format is \\COMPUTER-NAME
    4.For each name in the list, type the following command: nbtstat -a COMPUTER-NAME

One of the results from the nbtstat commands will show a row with “_MSBROWSE_” in it. That means that this computer is the Master Browser.

Check to see if that PC sees the Tower PC. You can change the order in which you turn on PCs and laptops to influence which is the master browser which is a workaround until MS fix the problem.

philc43, Feb 17, 2016
  5. philc43 Win User
    If your problem does turn out to be this Master Browser effect there are some on these forums who have applied the following workaround until MS fixes it.

See: Windows 10 1511 Network Browsing Issue and especially post #52

philc43, Feb 17, 2016
  6. Philc43: Thanks. I will give these commands a try and see what happens.

UPDATE: That didn't go well. I tried the commands from my desktop (this PC) and saw the results that this PC was the Master browser (as I expected).

So, I turned off this PC, booted the laptop, and when I entered the new view command, I got an error 1230.

So ... I Googled that and the error claims that the Client for Microsoft Networking function is not installed, and when I went into Setting and looked at the properties for the wired network adapter, both the Install and Uninstall buttons were there in the window. I clicked Install, selected the Client -- and nothing was listed but it wants the source.

Plus, when I went into Device Manager and looked at the details of the wired network device, while is says the device is working properly, the Events tab says the device ... requires further installation.

So, I guess now, I have to track down drivers for the Realtek NIC and install them.

UPDATE2: OK, installed new RealTek 8168 drivers and the net view command works now. But, I still can't see the file server tower PC. So, I'll turn off my desktop, reboot the laptop and see what happens.

OK, rebooted, and NOW, see all the PCs when I do net view, and I can see and access the tower PC,

But, since reinstalling the Realtek drivers, I no longer get any network icon in the taskbar ...

UPDATE3: This is ridiculous!!! The network icon was greyed out in Notifcations, do I did a winsock reset -- and after the reboot, the icon is back. But NOW, the net view doesn't show any networked devices anymore! So, I'm back to square one!! I'm going to retry the sc.exe config commands that were shown in the linked thread. If those don't work, I'm going to reconfigure this PC to dual-boot with the original Win7 install. And if THAT sees the tower PC OK, I may just scrap Win10 from this PC.

UPDATE4: OK, restored Win7, booted into it, and can see the other PCs on the network. So, I rebooted, this time, into Win10 -- and NOW, can see the other PCs on the network!

Don't ask me to explain this -- I can't!

Mark Phelps, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't see Win8.1 machine anymore

1. Can't see Win8.1 machine anymore - Similar Threads - Can't Win8 machine

2. Can't see Windows 11 update option anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't see Windows 11 update option anymore: Hello,My PC met minimum requirements for Windows 11 and I was eligible for free upgrade to Windows 11. I could see the option to download and install Windows 11 in my Windows Update setting for a while. However, I thought to to wait it out a bit till the reviews came out and...
  3. Can't see Windows 11 update option anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't see Windows 11 update option anymore: Hello,My PC met minimum requirements for Windows 11 and I was eligible for free upgrade to Windows 11. I could see the option to download and install Windows 11 in my Windows Update setting for a while. However, I thought to to wait it out a bit till the reviews came out and...
  4. win8 dvd

win8 dvd: I run my w8 DVD & this came up:- this is missing or corrupted "windows\system32\driversmsisadrv.sys," Error Code : 0xc000007d. Is there anything I can do to correct it? I bought this cd a long time ago & used it a few times as my spare laptop has w8.
  5. win8 dvd

win8 dvd: I run my w8 DVD & this came up:- this is missing or corrupted "windows\system32\driversmsisadrv.sys," Error Code : 0xc000007d. Is there anything I can do to correct it? I bought this cd a long time ago & used it a few times as my spare laptop has w8.
  6. Two computer on network can't see each other anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two computer on network can't see each other anymore: Updated second of two computers on same network to Update 1903. Now both are running 1903. Neither computer can see each other when Network is clicked in Explorer. One does see Media device on other computer only. This happened when I ran 1903 update a couple days ago on...
  7. Creators Update One machine can't see the other

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creators Update One machine can't see the other: I have Windows 10 Pro Creator's Update (version 1703, build 15063.413) running on two computers (wired through ASUS router). I've setup a workgroup called WORKGROUP. If I turn on one computer (call it A) and then turn on computer B, computer A can view computer B's folders,...
  8. Retail Win8 upgraded to Win10: Use the license on a new machine in the

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Retail Win8 upgraded to Win10: Use the license on a new machine in the: I'm wondering how to use my migrated Win8 Retail license on my next machine. It will be a few years from now and well past the free upgrade offer. I've used Showkey and I'm not sure if what it returns will be usable. If memory serves me (don't trust it myself) I think it's...
  9. Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.: "Reset This PC" Confusion Firstly it seems MS have gotten-rid of the 'Refresh This PC' terminology to describe the distinction between keeping files but keeping settings/apps intact, or removing both files and apps/settings (the old Reset This PC). After you make this first...
  10. See if Hyper-V Virtual Machine is Generation 1 or Generation 2

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    See if Hyper-V Virtual Machine is Generation 1 or Generation 2: How to: See if Hyper-V Virtual Machine is Generation 1 or Generation 2 How to See if Hyper-V Virtual Machine is Generation 1 or Generation 2 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc running win10 cant see pc running win8.1