Windows 10: Can't seem to change permissions on folders

Discus and support Can't seem to change permissions on folders in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I keep getting a "Permission denied" error when trying to save stuff in the "My Documents" folder. The folder seems to be set to "read only", which is... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by youradds, Aug 7, 2015.

1. youradds Win User

Can't seem to change permissions on folders

I keep getting a "Permission denied" error when trying to save stuff in the "My Documents" folder. The folder seems to be set to "read only", which is pointless for that folder - not even sure why it's been set to that.

Any suggestions? I have tried to untick and "apply", but then it tells me that I need admin access (even thought I am logged in as the primary user, who has admin access)

Mmmm

TIA

:)

youradds, Aug 7, 2015
  2. Brianx87 Win User

Administrator permissions

I can't change the permissions of any folder it seems and your suggested method did not work for me, even in the hidden admin account I could not change the permissions.

Brianx87, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Tomscot2 Win User
    How do you Restore Windows 10 User Permissions to default?

For Windows 10. I accidentally changed a user permission for my Documents folder. I am the administrator. The Security permission listed is for the homegroup users, but not System, Administrator or User (me). I
    can't change the permissions back because it tells me that I do not have access to certain folders. I did not have System Restore enabled. When I try to change the permission in the parent folder it still denies access for the one folder.

Is there any way to reset all permissions to default for this folder?

Tomscot2, Aug 7, 2015
  4. Can't seem to change permissions on folders

Read only attribute can be ignored since it is for Documents folder. It only matters when Read Only attribute is applied to a file. In this case it is not.

You are looking too much into the wrong tab take a screenshot of security tab, so that we can know what went wrong. We may need to take ownership for that specific folder if you are for some reason not the current owner. It may just be a simple thing like just elevating your controls if they were decreased for any specific reason or unknown reason.

chris1neji, Aug 7, 2015
  5. youradds Win User
    Ah, that was it. I changed the "normal" user permissions to allow all access, and it works fine now. Was driving me nuts that I couldn't save into that folder!

Thanks for your help *Smile

youradds, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't seem to change permissions on folders

1. Can't seem to change permissions on folders - Similar Threads - Can't seem change

2. Can't change folder permissions Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change folder permissions Windows 10: All started with a problem of crashing of Protection History tab. This problem appeared a couple of weeks ago. Before that there was no problems with that tab. I found a solution here:...
  3. Can't change folder permissions Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change folder permissions Windows 10: All started with a problem of crashing of Protection History tab. This problem appeared a couple of weeks ago. Before that there was no problems with that tab. I found a solution here:...
  4. Can't change folder permissions Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't change permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change permissions: I just upgraded to Windows 11. I cannot engage Core Isolation. There are seven drivers that block the engagement; when I try to rename/delete them, I'm told I need SYSTEM permission. When I try to change the SYSTEM permission, I'm not allowed to do so. How do I proceed?...
  6. Can't change permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change permissions: I just upgraded to Windows 11. I cannot engage Core Isolation. There are seven drivers that block the engagement; when I try to rename/delete them, I'm told I need SYSTEM permission. When I try to change the SYSTEM permission, I'm not allowed to do so. How do I proceed?...
  7. Can't change permissions on a folder no matter what I tried.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't change permissions on a folder no matter what I tried.: I've tried all registry edits. I've tried every input to CMD/Powershell I've tried Take Ownership. noting works please help. Change button is greyed out.[IMG]...
  8. Can't install WindowsApss folder and changing permissions gives permission denied on subfolders

Can't install WindowsApss folder and changing permissions gives permission denied on subfolders: I recently had to reinstall windows but was able to keep all my old files, but this includes the windowsapps folders which I appearently have on every drive. I tried deleting it with full priveleges, but giving myself the privileges got rejected. I am the owner and only...
  9. Changing folder permissions

Changing folder permissions: Hi, I have run into a problem when trying to run a neural network on jupyter notebook. This network ran on a mac previously but I have moved it to windows because I would like to use a GPU to allow for more efficiency. The problem involves it accessing the folders containing...
  10. Changing permissions on a folder that you can't access

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing permissions on a folder that you can't access: Hello, I am new to the forums but I was searching the forums for an answer to my question and didn't get one so I turned to the rest of the internet. In time I was able to develop a fix for my problem. This is the fix. If this is in the wrong place please tell me and I...