Windows 10: Can't select custom search engine in Chrome

Discus and support Can't select custom search engine in Chrome in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Okay so in Chrome under "manage search engines" there are 2 sections - "default search engines" and 'other search engines'. Under "other search... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by rivre, Aug 4, 2016.

1. rivre Win User

Can't select custom search engine in Chrome

Okay so in Chrome under "manage search engines" there are 2 sections - "default search engines" and 'other search engines'. Under "other search engines" I added a few custom ones like duckduckgo, startpage, etc., but Chrome won't let me select any of them as default. The only ones it allows me to select for default is the ones under "default search engines". What's the point of me adding other search engines if I can't make them the default?

Am I missing something?

:)

rivre, Aug 4, 2016

2. Can't set Google as default search engine on Microsoft Edge Browser

There isn't an option to change search engine. The only selection for Search engine is Bing. This is very unprofessional Microsoft and not the best to way win customer trust. Let us choose what we want as a search engine and stop resetting our bookmark
    imported from Chrome.

Going back to chrome...

duy.k.nguyen, Aug 4, 2016
  3. Yahoo has hijacked me

If you are using Firefox:

Click the 'Open menu' at the top right hand corner - looks like a Hamburger

Click Search

In the default search engine list box, choose Google

If you are using Google Chrome:

Click the Customize and Control Chrome menu represented by the three vertical dots in the top right corner.

Click Settings

In the search box, type the word: search

Click in the Set which search engine is used when searching from within the omnibox list box

Choose Google

Andre Da Costa, Aug 4, 2016
Thema:

Can't select custom search engine in Chrome

1. Can't select custom search engine in Chrome - Similar Threads - Can't select custom

2. Search Engines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Engines: All my 'pc' life I have used Google but recently have been observing some disturbing trends with them; both political and privacy. Finally, I decided to try another and did a 'google' search for a good unbiased search engine with privacy (alleged). I am trialing duckduckgo on...
  3. change search engine

in Windows 10 Customization
    change search engine: How can I chnage the default search engine from Bing to Google? Remove Bing from my desktop.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-search-engine/61249a04-2884-447b-b800-529c626db8cd
  4. Default Search Engine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default Search Engine: I've been using Windows 10 for some time and the only thing I didn't like in it is the inability to change default search engine for Cortana and Search. I don't wanna use Bing as my default search engine! I did some search on google to find some source for doing this, but...
  5. search engine hijack

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    search engine hijack: hi , had my gmail email account hi jacked by a search-switch dot com how do I delete it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-engine-hijack/8136a05a-33e4-4598-8dc6-a2db274369ee
  6. Search Engine Safesurfs.com

in Browsers and Email
    Search Engine Safesurfs.com: Hi Everyone I have had a recent problem which I believe is identified as a browser virus. When Firefox and Chrome startup they both browse to the search engine safesurfs.com. I have checked through all files and folders in my computer, searched for the name in my C:/...
  7. search engines

in Browsers and Email
    search engines: Here lately, search engines are not doing what they are designed to do. AS an example ,if I type in something like, “how to clean old furniture’ instead of taking me to links that gives information I want, they take me to links for other search engines that will do the same...
  8. Custom Engine for Start Menu Search possible?

in Windows 10 Support
    Custom Engine for Start Menu Search possible?: Has anybody figured out if it is finally possible to customize the "Universal Start Menu search" or replace the Bing Search by Google search or any other prefered online search engine? In Windows 8.1 that was sadly not possible and i assume it won't be possible to...
  9. Search Engine

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Engine: How to add a chrome search engine 78340
  10. Strange Search Engine

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Search Engine: When I first go to Internet Explorer, a strange search engine <www-searching.com> fills the screen. If I click on Home it goes away and my normal Start page comes up. I have blocked the address in Yahoo mail, and in "Per site privacy actions" in Internet Tools, but it...