Windows 10: Can't set headphones as Default Device?

Discus and support Can't set headphones as Default Device? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I just encountered a problem yesterday, I'm unable to change my headphones to the default device. I can only set them to Default Communications... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hudzell, Aug 27, 2015.

1. hudzell Win User

Can't set headphones as Default Device?

So I just encountered a problem yesterday, I'm unable to change my headphones to the default device. I can only set them to Default Communications Device or not default anything. Here's a picture of my playback devices tab

Can't set headphones as Default Device? [​IMG]

The communications headphones is the headphone jack, and the speakers just don't work anymore for some reason. Oh, also my volume mixer is empty

Can't set headphones as Default Device? [​IMG]

I noticed the problem when I saw that my mixer was empty, and I had League of Legends muted before it started, so now I can't unmute it. It's really starting to bother me. If there's any more information you need, I will try to provide it.

:)

hudzell, Aug 27, 2015

2. can't set headphones as default device

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

To which programs the Headphone are not working?

I suggest you to connect the headphones and then Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

1. Press Windows key + S and type troubleshooting.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click Hardware and Devices.

5. Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.

Reference:

I would also suggest you to refer the section Set default device from the windows article link below:

Fix sound problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab04

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Suvarna Govinda, Aug 27, 2015
  3. can't set headphones as default device

I'm trying to set my headphones as the default but it will only change if i select default communication device. Nothing will happen if i select set as default but when it is a communication device it docent work for most programs

Brandonlookalan, Aug 27, 2015
  4. Can't set headphones as Default Device?

that's a known issue with IDT... especially if you have a single jack instead of separate mic and speaker ones... mine was the same way when i upgraded to 10 tho I'm fortunate hp came out with a modified driver for mine... i cant make the headset a default device but when i plug it in sound comes thru the headset instead of both laptop and headset... check with your pc maker and see if they have any drivers for windows 10.... that's what i had to do....

also if your laptop headset jack is a single jack make sure the headphones is for a cell phone i forget where i seen a diagram of the plug but modern laptops are moving to the cell phone type jack.... that could be an issue it was with me as well...

i had an older headset with built in mic single plug but i could only hear out of one speaker and the mic didn't work at all...
    so i went and bought a headset for a cell phone... and now it works like it should

icpwolverine, Aug 28, 2015
Thema:

Can't set headphones as Default Device?

1. Can't set headphones as Default Device? - Similar Threads - Can't set headphones

2. Setting default audio and video devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting default audio and video devices: Hi,I'm trying to set the default camera and microphone devices on my PC. I thought the best way was to select a device, mark it as the default, then carry on.But when I go to Printers and Devices and right-click on my preferred USB webcam, however, there is no "set as...
  3. Wireless headphones wont keep default device.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless headphones wont keep default device.: Hey team. Whenever I turn off my PC, my wireless headphones loose "default device" status. this seems to be due to the fact that the software needs to boot up before running the device, so the PC grabs another device my monitor to compensate for not having a device, but when...
  4. Wireless headphones wont keep default device.

Wireless headphones wont keep default device.: Hey team. Whenever I turn off my PC, my wireless headphones loose "default device" status. this seems to be due to the fact that the software needs to boot up before running the device, so the PC grabs another device my monitor to compensate for not having a device, but when...
  5. Dolby Atmos Only Works on Other Devices When Headphones Is Set to Default. HELP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dolby Atmos Only Works on Other Devices When Headphones Is Set to Default. HELP: I have this new issue where Dolby Atmos isn't working with my outputs on my goxlr where they previously Yesterday did.I looked in my settings after noticing the output in my headphones connected through goxlr sounded awful. Turns out Dolby Atmos just had an update and was...
  6. Dolby Atmos Only Works on Other Devices When Headphones Is Set to Default. HELP

Dolby Atmos Only Works on Other Devices When Headphones Is Set to Default. HELP: I have this new issue where Dolby Atmos isn't working with my outputs on my goxlr where they previously Yesterday did.I looked in my settings after noticing the output in my headphones connected through goxlr sounded awful. Turns out Dolby Atmos just had an update and was...
  7. Can't Set Default Program!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Set Default Program!: What a real pain this is!!!!!Cannot set existing program as default for Photos. Dropdown list doesn't have that program listed yet it is installed on computer. Cannot add .ATN extension and associate a program to open it. So I have to pay to get App??? And the App store...
  8. Can't set Photoshop as default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't set Photoshop as default: I have Windows 10 Home version 1803 (OS Build 17134.407. Until I got the update 1803 for Windows, Photoshop was always my default and it worked perfectly. Photoshop itself works just fine, but Windows will not allow it to be the default. I have tried to set Photoshop...
  9. can't set default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    can't set default apps: Hi, I just did a clean install of windows 10 on both my pc and laptop (downloaded the install tool, it installed 1803, not 1809, winver says compile 17134.376) and now I can't set default apps on both machines. nothing happens if I click a file and choose "open with" and...
  10. Can't Set IE11 as Default Browser in Settings

in Browsers and Email
    Can't Set IE11 as Default Browser in Settings: I'm not even close to being ready for MS Edge. Problem is I can't set IE11 as the default in settings because it is not an option when I click on Web Browser in Settings. For what it's worth, Edge isn't listed either. Links in MS Outlook revert to Edge 45999