Windows 10: Can't Set IE11 as Default Browser in Settings

Discus and support Can't Set IE11 as Default Browser in Settings in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I'm not even close to being ready for MS Edge. Problem is I can't set IE11 as the default in settings because it is not an option when I click on Web... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by capri3156, Apr 1, 2016.

1. capri3156 Win User

Can't Set IE11 as Default Browser in Settings

I'm not even close to being ready for MS Edge. Problem is I can't set IE11 as the default in settings because it is not an option when I click on Web Browser in Settings. For what it's worth, Edge isn't listed either. Links in MS Outlook revert to Edge

:)

capri3156, Apr 1, 2016

2. Can't enable IE 11 and disable Microsoft Edge

You can't disable Edge. Just make IE the default browser.

How to find Internet Explorer (IE) on Windows 10

How to find Internet Explorer (IE) on Windows 10

To make IE11 the default browser in Wi10: Control Panel | Default Programs | Set your Default Programs. Select Internet Explorer 11.

Bruce Hagen, Apr 1, 2016
  3. Yahoo Search Keeps "Hi-Jacking" my IE11 Browser

To Whom It May Concern;

Yahoo Search Keeps "Hi-Jacking" my IE11 Browser!

No matter what I do, even after I set my Homepage to MSN

and attempt to Set my Search Provider to Bing as my DEFAULT Search Provider!

Whenever I (Cold), Restart my, Computer and Open the IE11 Browser in Win10 Pro 64 ,the DEFAULT set, Bing Search Provider is GONE, and an UNNAMED, DEFAULT Set Search Provider is in it's place. Hi-Jacking my Browser to YAHOO, which I NEVER USE! I have noticed
    that every time that I attempt to Set my IE11 Search Provider to BING, as DEFAULT, I never get any Confirmation that it was Successful. Instead the EDGE Browser Opens up Instead! Please Help!

j80r59mm95r08j, Apr 1, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Do it the old fashioned way..................

Right click at Start button > Control panel > top right, click View by : > select either large or small > Default Programs > Set you default programs > wait for loading > left side, locate Internet Explorer > click it > right side, click set this program as default > click OK when done.

davidhk, Apr 1, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.

davidhk, Apr 2, 2016
  6. OR just download a better broser than both of them !*really

blutos cousin, Apr 2, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    But I have run into issues when trying to access some Microsoft sites/pages using the "better browser" so I have to keep IE, not too impressed by Edge.

Berton, Apr 2, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

This thread is about the OP asking how to set IE11 as default.

Let's not start another one of those long-winded never ending so-called " discussions", if you don't mind.
    Should you people be interested in opening a debate of "IE11 vs other browsers", please kindly start a new thread.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Apr 2, 2016
  9. Seems like you may have missed the intended humor..... OTOH I can see your point some of these simple questions turn into never ending browser bashing and legitimately some browsers work better at specific things ,formats or web pages than others .

IE 11 & Edge come to mind on some videos they play better where other browsers wont load them or play them well and also wont play 1080p Netflix like Edge and IE can peace *Biggrin

blutos cousin, Apr 2, 2016
  10. I get it ...legitimately there are some web pages and videos the Microsoft siblings load others wont load and or they play videos better on certain sites and pages and not infrequently on some major web sites and more lately I use Edge when that happens it seems to do video well.

I cant offer solutions beyond control panel >default apps or same thing in settings > system> >apps >default apps but in any event one or the other worked for the OP so the outcome was fine *really

blutos cousin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Set IE11 as Default Browser in Settings - Similar Threads - Can't Set IE11

2. cant set default browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant set default browser: each time i update chrome it switches my browser to yahoo and doesnt let me change it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-set-default-browser/ffc10c08-25a5-4794-8192-a9736afe2257
  3. cant set default browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant set default browser: each time i update chrome it switches my browser to yahoo and doesnt let me change it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-set-default-browser/ffc10c08-25a5-4794-8192-a9736afe2257
  4. Unable to set a default browser in Default Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to set a default browser in Default Apps: Hello,I am unable to choose a default browser in my case I am trying to set Microsoft Edge as a default browser in the 'Default Apps' in Windows 10It was earlier set to Google Chrome. I also reset the 'Microsoft Recommended Defaults' but Windows 10 still cannot the attach...
  5. Unable to set a default browser in Default Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to set a default browser in Default Apps: Hello,I am unable to choose a default browser in my case I am trying to set Microsoft Edge as a default browser in the 'Default Apps' in Windows 10It was earlier set to Google Chrome. I also reset the 'Microsoft Recommended Defaults' but Windows 10 still cannot the attach...
  6. Unable to set a default browser in Default Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Set default browser to alternative browser

Set default browser to alternative browser: In the "Set Default Apps" settings page, there is no possible way to select a browser that is not either on the Windows store or has large userbase like Chrome. You used to be able to use Control Panel for this, but you changed that to just redirect to the same Settings page...
  8. Can't set Google Chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't set Google Chrome as default browser: Like the title says, I can't set Chrome as my browser. When I go to default apps, Chrome doesn't appear as an option under the browser category. It's also not in the Microsoft app store. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it. Still nothing. I've seen threads on this issue with...
  9. Default Browser Setting

Default Browser Setting: I want my default browser to be Chrome. I change it in settings from Edge to Chrome, then when I re-boot, it goes right back to Edge. How do I make the change permanent?...
  10. set chrome as default browser

set chrome as default browser: how to set chrome as default browser https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-chrome-as-default-browser/620d5e83-ab61-4586-93dc-eb5244b96387

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant set ie11 to ie11