Windows 10: Can't Set My Default Photo Editor in Windows 10

Discus and support Can't Set My Default Photo Editor in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been having a lot of problems in Windows 10 (factory installed HP computer), compared to my old Windows 7 computer. I like things simple and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bigfoot, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Bigfoot Win User

Can't Set My Default Photo Editor in Windows 10

I've been having a lot of problems in Windows 10 (factory installed HP computer), compared to my old Windows 7 computer.

I like things simple and I wanted to use the ACDsee for Pentax windows editor to upload photos from my camera to my computer. I can still edit the few that are on there already, but now something is weird.

When I insert my SD card, which is the way I've always done it, I can't clearly view each photo and choose which one I want to upload to my computer.

Instead I'm getting this whited out blurry "Photos - trusted windows" screen that wants me to upload all 800 photos from my SD card. Not letting me view anything but a blurred thumbnail with photos already sorted by month. If I could scroll from page to page, maybe I can uncheck all of the pictures that have already been uploaded on my old computer and just choose the recent ones.

Honestly I just want to be able to do what I've always done, and pick just one after viewing it full size to put in my Pictures folder.

So I've been looking around and tried to set ACDsee as my default photo viewer (no choice for editor there). Restarted computer and it still is not going to that screen after I insert the SD card. *Sad

Nosing around some more, I'm seeing all kinds of Cyber Link Director, Power Media Player, Power Director that was installed without my knowledge on 11/1/16. Also ARC Soft Panorama Maker installed on the same day. Is this stuff 'bloatware', can I get rid of it? I don't want or need any fancy editing programs.

It seems since I bought my new HP computer with Windows 10, I have no control of anything anymore. Since I don't know much about computers, I'm really lost and confused by all this.

Any thoughts at least to set my default and have it actually work again? Thanks again for your time and help.

:)

Bigfoot, Jan 5, 2017
  2. NeilWyatt Win User

Right-Click preview option missing after Win 10 install

Yes this works, but it means that I can't use my default photo editor with a double click.

I want to preview with viewer using a right click or go into an editor with a double click.

NeilWyatt, Jan 5, 2017
  3. Vashnik Win User
    Setting Defaults Broken: Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

When I set Photos as the default, it takes 38 out of 54 defaults. The "Photos" app remains the default program in the Default Apps part of the settings.

When I select Windows Photo Viewer again as the default, it remains as the default app in the Default Apps window. However, Windows Photo Viewer only takes 2 out of 12 of it's defaults: *.tif and *.tiff in the "Set Default Associations" window. When I try
    to click the "Set this program as default" button, it sets the default app for Photos as "WavePad Sound Editor" instead of any other photo viewing/editing app.

Snaggy - easy screenshots

If I attempt to set associations by selecting all it's defaults by "Choose defaults for this program" then selecting all listed file types for Windows Photo Viewer and clicking the "Save" button, it does the same thing as if I had hit "Set this program as
    default" when Windows Photo Viewer is selected. Instead of Windows Photo Viewer becoming the default for all 12 supported image types, it sets "WavePad Sound Editor" as the default app to view photos and Windows Photo Viewer is still only associating with
    *.tif and *.tiff files.

Vashnik, Jan 5, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

@Bigfoot
    Check the pics, they're sort of self explanatory. I know there's tutorials for this stuff, just trying to find them......

Can't Set My Default Photo Editor in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Edwin, Jan 5, 2017
  5. Bigfoot Win User
    I did get to set it as default, but it didn't take, nothing's different.

Bigfoot, Jan 5, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    I've found it more reliable to set the default file associations using Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs. Choose your photo program then assign which files the program should open. Else you can choose the file type and select the default program from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations.

Steve C, Jan 5, 2017
  7. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Jan 5, 2017
  8. Bigfoot Win User

Thanks for your advice guys, I did as suggested and it's set as default including file types, but still not working the way it should. I still can't use ACDsee to view my photos on my SD card and copy the particular ones I want to put on my computer. For now, since I don't want to delete all the 800 images on my SD card, I'm just going to put a new empty card in my camera. That way when it wants to import all the files instead of letting me choose, at least I'll only have a small amount to deal with. *Sad

Bigfoot, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Set My Default Photo Editor in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't Set Default

2. Can't set Imageglass as default photo viewer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't set Imageglass as default photo viewer: I am trying to set Imageglass as my default photo viewer. When I go to the default app section and select photo imageglass doesn't come up as an option. Is there any other way to set a default image viewer?...
  3. default settings for photos

default settings for photos: I want to change the default settings for images to Photoscape NOT Photoscape X or Photos but I can't see Photoscape listed as an option. I've de-installed Photoscape X and am thinking about de-installing Photos as well/ Any way to includ Pehotoscape as an option and choose...
  4. Photo Editor windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photo Editor windows 10: Hello, I have finish my project with Windows 10 Photo Editor but I am not able to reproduce the video in any media player. The extension vpb is not supported. I always receive the following error: 0xc10100be Any sugestion on how to solve this issue? Thanks...
  5. Video Editor 10 became my default save setting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Video Editor 10 became my default save setting: Yes, I've used Video Editor 10. Somehow, when I save a downloaded picture, it first opens in a Video Editor screen. I can't seem to change that. Any suggestions please and Thank you...
  6. "Registry Editor" system default setting

"Registry Editor" system default setting: I want to know how to restore system default settings of 'Registry Editor'. I just messed up with some of these settings and I don't remember exactly what I changed. So now I want to reset or restore these settings to system default (as it came with the windows) instead reset...
  7. default settings for photos

default settings for photos: I had Windows 10 installed on my computer and now it's the default setting for all of my photos. I have Photoshop CS5 and have always had it for my default for loading and opening my photos. How do I get it back. I have to open each one individually to get them into...
  8. Default Settings - Photos

Default Settings - Photos: I have installed a favorite alternate photo viewing and editing program on my laptop, and can not see it or access it when trying to set - change default photo program for photos. It seems I fight Windows 10 more than other times when I have successfully accomplished...
  9. photo editor windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    photo editor windows 10: photo editor windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-editor-windows-10/a4701283-512e-4293-9bce-2bd0785bce1d
  10. set AutoPlay defaults with registry editor

in Windows 10 Support
    set AutoPlay defaults with registry editor: Do you know how to set the AutoPlay defaults with the registry editor? For example, I would prefer the default to be set to "Open a folder to view files (File Explorer) for "Removable Drive" and "Memory Card," but I don't exactly know how to set this in the registry editor...