Windows 10: Can't setup new VPN connection for outside RDP access.

Discus and support Can't setup new VPN connection for outside RDP access. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I'm trying to setup multiple PC's on my home network so that I can access them from the Internet while I'm away from home. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NJsKing321, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Can't setup new VPN connection for outside RDP access.

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to setup multiple PC's on my home network so that I can access them from the Internet while I'm away from home. I've read the most secure way for me to do this is by setting up a VPN connection through Windows, rather than opening ports on my router and exposing my entire network. I've been following the guide at the following link: How to Create a VPN Server on Your Windows Computer Without Installing Any Software and keep running into the same issue.

Upon completion of setup, I receive the following message...

Can't setup new VPN connection for outside RDP access. [​IMG]

I read on another forum to go into MMC and add all the available Snap-ins, which I believe I did. I was prompted to save a file when I was done, and did as requested. Any and all assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! *Huh*092*Confused

:)

NJsKing321, Apr 24, 2017

2. WM6.5 - Remote desktop over VPN

The RDP application in Windows Phone is not connection manager aware. Windows Mobile 5 had a version of RDP that was connection manager aware so launching RDP and connecting to a machine with a netbios address would initiate a VPN session. Since this is
    no longer the case you need to manually launch the vpn connection. One way(actually the only way) to verify that the vpn tunnel is up is to tap on the wireless icon at the top of the screen. In the window that comes up it will show you your wireless/cellular
    signal as well as the name of your vpn connection. If you plan to use dotted addresses to access remote RDP machines then you will need to add that addresss space to the VPN exceptions. Otherwise the connection mamanger will tear down the VPN connection
    thinking that you wanted to be on the internet.

MVP-Mobile Devices

Eric Hicks, Apr 24, 2017
  3. VPN and remote desktop...need help!!

Hey guys,

I have a pptp vpn router for my office and I also use RDP to connect to machines. Can you guys tell me how to setup the vpn connection and remote desktop software?

Thanks!

vettegofast, Apr 24, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Can't setup new VPN connection for outside RDP access.

It says check event log what does that say? Your gaining nothing as you still have to open ports on the router as it states in the article team viewer or rdp are a lot simpler

Samuria, Apr 24, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    What router are you using? Does the router have a VPN server built-in? My Netgear R7000 does. Once I connect to the VPN server provided by my router, then I can RDP into any computer on my network. You also have to know what your external IP address is to connect to any VPN service on your network. My router also provides that by going through the DDNS service no-ip.com.

The other advantage to VPN through my router is that I also have access to my two NAS devices on my network.

NavyLCDR, Apr 25, 2017
  6. To be perfectly honest, I don't even know how to access them.

NJsKing321, Apr 25, 2017
  7. Right now I'm running an ASUS RT-AC66U. It has a built-in VPN and I have a DDNS through No-IP as well. I am able to access my network through it, but am only able to get to shared folders. When I use RDP within my personal network (Intranet), I am able to access entire machines, as if I am at them directly. Oftentimes, I'm away from home and either using my Android device directly, or using it for WiFi tethering for my laptop. I typically run PureVPN for added security on all my machines. On my local machines, I setup direct VPN connections, which I have no problem getting into. I have been running TeamViewer, which works quite well, but I would like to cut back on the use of 3rd party tools, while improve upon my own PC knowledge base. I'm a master certified auto tech who used to build race and custom cars. Now, I'm too sick to wrench and got into political activism. Part of that is Internet broadcasting. My mechanical/technical side forces me to be my own tech guy. I usually do relatively well figuring things out on my own, but this one has me a bit stumped!

NJsKing321, Apr 25, 2017
  8. Can't setup new VPN connection for outside RDP access.

I found it. Please disregard my previous reply. Kindly review the attached screen shots.

NJsKing321, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't setup new VPN connection for outside RDP access.

1. Can't setup new VPN connection for outside RDP access. - Similar Threads - Can't setup VPN

2. HW Change, can't setup new Pin autoconnect VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HW Change, can't setup new Pin autoconnect VPN: I replaced some hardware, and it attempts to start the process of logging in with PW but it fails I believe because I have VPN set to auto connect.What steps do I need to take to get logged in?Windows 11...
  3. HW Change, can't setup new Pin autoconnect VPN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HW Change, can't setup new Pin autoconnect VPN: I replaced some hardware, and it attempts to start the process of logging in with PW but it fails I believe because I have VPN set to auto connect.What steps do I need to take to get logged in?Windows 11...
  4. Can't connect VPN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't connect VPN: I can't conect to vpn. I receive a notification saying the specified port is always open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-connect-vpn/2d318593-d313-4226-8ca3-fedfe44e4249
  5. Can't connect VPN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect VPN: I can't conect to vpn. I receive a notification saying the specified port is always open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-connect-vpn/2d318593-d313-4226-8ca3-fedfe44e4249
  6. VPN connects but can't access shared folders

VPN connects but can't access shared folders: About a month ago I came into work and one of our engineers said he wasn't able to access the shared folders from home using his VPN anymore. I logged onto the VPN and everything worked as it should, but then 1 week later I wasn't able to access the shared folders. Now my...
  7. Can't connect to vpn

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't connect to vpn: Hello guys I'm watching k-drama on laptop recently but it says I gonna need vpn to continue so I search for Google and follow the instructions but after all I setup the vpn profile I can't connect to vpn. It says "a connection to the remote computer could not be established,...
  8. RDP + VPN performance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    RDP + VPN performance: I have a SoftEther setup for my work PC - Home is host and client + work PC is the client. Split tunnel (so rest of the traffic will not go through VPN). I can ping the work PC, I get ~12ms (ping with -t for longer pinging). The office is 200mbit fibre and is almost empty of...
  9. Can't connect to VPN

Can't connect to VPN: We have a remote user trying to connect to our company VPN receiving the following message: "Can't connect to VPN the connection was terminated by the remote computer before it could be completed" Any insight on how to resolve this would be appreciated....
  10. Can connect to VPN but can't access connected PC

Can connect to VPN but can't access connected PC: So I've scoured the web and pulled together enough info to enable me to create an incoming VPN connection on our dedicated P2P file "server" which runs Windows 8.1 Pro. On my Windows 10 Pro laptop, I've also created an outgoing VPN connection to the server. When I click the...