Windows 10: can't share folder with another windows 10 computer, help??

Discus and support can't share folder with another windows 10 computer, help?? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hey all, i think this should be a pretty straight forward process, but i'm getting stumped! i have two windows 10 pro computers. first computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Matt26, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Matt26 Win User

can't share folder with another windows 10 computer, help??

hey all,

i think this should be a pretty straight forward process, but i'm getting stumped!

i have two windows 10 pro computers. first computer has a folder on the root of the C drive that i want to access from the second computer- both on the same wifi network, same workgroup, set to private network in windows- no homegroups set up.

i can enable sharing of the folder, but i can't select the user account from the second computer that i want to have access to the folder- when i try to select the user account (from the second computer), i can only see the local computer accounts- how do i set access for a specific user account on the second computer?

i'm pretty sure i remember this being more easily done back on windows 7, but honestly it's been awhile since i've needed to set up folder shares.

any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

:)

Matt26, Feb 6, 2016
  2. srodar Win User

Windows 10 machine can't access shared folder

I have a customer with a peer to peer network. They have just added a Windows 10 Home computer to the network. The new computer shared folders can be accessed by any of the other computers on the network. Additionally the new computer can access shared folders
    on a Windows 7 computer but is not able to access shares on another Windows 8 computer. The Windows 8 computer can access shared folders on the new Windows 10 computer.

Network discovery and file sharing are turned on on all computers. Password protected sharing is turned off. When attempting to see the shared folders on the Window 8 machine from the new Windows 10 machine a prompt asking for a Username and password appears.
    I enter the logged in username from the Window 8 machine and the password that user enters to log on to the Windows 8 machine. Each time it tells me the username or password is incorrect. The shared folders are set for full access by Everyone. The shared folders
    on the Windows 8 machine are easily accessed from the other two computers on the network. I can successfully ping the Windows 8 machine from the new Windows 10 machine.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what might be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

srodar, Feb 6, 2016
  3. Many Hats Win User
    sharing with XP computer

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can't share with my XP computer. How can I open file/folder sharing here?

Many Hats, Feb 6, 2016
Thema:

can't share folder with another windows 10 computer, help??

1. can't share folder with another windows 10 computer, help?? - Similar Threads - can't share folder

2. Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network: I'm trying to share a Drive on my laptop Win11 Home through my Network so my desktop Win 11 Pro can rename files and do some file management on it. Both are on the same network and what I've done so far is mess around with settings to the point where I can see the other...
  3. Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network: I'm trying to share a Drive on my laptop Win11 Home through my Network so my desktop Win 11 Pro can rename files and do some file management on it. Both are on the same network and what I've done so far is mess around with settings to the point where I can see the other...
  4. Sharing a Single Folder with Another User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing a Single Folder with Another User: Hello, I am running Windows 10 Pro (21H1 - Build 19043.1052). I am trying to set up another user with access to a single folder and its subfolders on a new machine. I've shared this folder with that user by editing the share settings in Windows Explorer. When I log in as that...
  5. Sharing a display with another computer

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Sharing a display with another computer: My desktop has two displays using Display Ports. The card is a GTX1660. W10Pro v2004. I also use the left one as an 2nd display for my laptop through a HDMI port. When I want to do this, I obviously select HDMI input. My annoyance is as follow. When I use the 2nd display...
  6. Windows 10 Folder Sharing Help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Folder Sharing Help: I have a Win10 (v2004) pure network (two laptops, two desktops). One desktop has a 20TB Storage Spaces setup, and a folder named "Fileshare" is shared over the network for all my users. Suddenly, for no discernible reason, neither laptop can see the "Fileshare" folder or even...
  7. Need to share folders to another computer on another wifi network.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need to share folders to another computer on another wifi network.: Basically, I have two houses with two desktops, and a laptop that I take everywhere. I would like to be able to share a specific folder or two (not OneDrive, it will not work) with my two desktops, and if possible, to my laptop as well. If it helps, I always run Enterprise on...
  8. Share a folder/drive with a named user from another computer

Share a folder/drive with a named user from another computer: Ideally I'd like to share a drive, but even giving access to "Everyone" results in an error message "You do not have permission..." I can successfully share a folder on that drive, if again I give access to "Everyone" which seem like madness... As the title says, I want...
  9. How to share folders with a specific user on another computer

How to share folders with a specific user on another computer: I've gone through the tutorials here on how to set up share folders. Very useful. I've done a fair bit of google searching as well. There does not seem to be an answer to my question. I have some folders on my desktop PC that I have shared on my network using the "Everyone"...
  10. Cannot share files/folders over the network with another computer

Cannot share files/folders over the network with another computer: The closest I got to was the ability to see the 2nd computer's Users folder from the main computer, which is perfectly fine - but for some reason, I can't get an access anymore....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant share folder with another windows 10 computer