Windows 10: Can't Shut Down with WinKey-X-U-U -- Restart Instead

Discus and support Can't Shut Down with WinKey-X-U-U -- Restart Instead in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since the recent update, when I try to shut down with WinKey-X-U-U the system restarts instead of shutting down. I can only shut down by with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by beau, Jan 16, 2018.

1. beau Win User

Can't Shut Down with WinKey-X-U-U -- Restart Instead

Since the recent update, when I try to shut down with WinKey-X-U-U the system restarts instead of shutting down.
    I can only shut down by with the power switch.
    Is there a workaround for this?

:)

2. Search in Windows

You could just as easily restart and accomplish the same results.

Winkey+x and type u u to shut down too then simply restart.

ThrashZone, Jan 16, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Start Button Works Inconsistently

I would usually use Winkey+x and type u u to shut down

Then start up as usual.

Which exact mouse are you using ?

ThrashZone, Jan 16, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

You could associate a proper shutdown script using AutoHotkey. There's even a Shutdown page on their Website to give you the various necessary particulars. Enjoy!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 16, 2018
  5. beau Win User
    Thanks, Ed ~
    Good idea, I've been using AutoHotKey for years. But this script
    #^!S:: Shutdown, 9
    causes a restart.
    Do you know what modifications to that script will cause shutdown?

6. Bree New Member
    Odd. I've just tested WinKey-X-U-U on my machine running the latest 16299.192 build and it still shuts down as normal.

Or are you on an Insider build?

7. Try3 Win User
    Beau,

I have just tested 3 fully-updated Ver 1709 computers and they all shutdown correctly using WinKey-X, U, U

Is it being displayed correctly - with the u underlined in the Shutdown or sign-out entry and in the Shut down entry in the fly-out sub-menu?

Can't Shut Down with WinKey-X-U-U -- Restart Instead [​IMG]

Denis

8. beau Win User

Setings > Update & Security says "Your device is up to date. Last checked: Today, 12:11pm" and specifications says "Version: 1709 - OS Build 16299-192"
    I just tried WinKey - Power and it's the same problem, restart instead of shutdown

9. Bree New Member
    This seems to be something specific to the Intel NUC. Similar problems have been reported on and off over the years, and not just in Windows - this thread from a couple of years ago was using Ubuntu...
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/6237...4-on-intel-nuc

As I and others have said, the Windows updates haven't caused our machines to restart like this. It may be something else, have you had a bios update recently? There seem to be a lot being issued in the wake of Spectre/Meltdown. Perhaps an NUC one has reintroduced this bug?

You could try turning off Fast Startup and see if that helps. You could also try clicking on the Desktop and using Alt-F4 to shut down. Alternatively, try shutdown /p from a command prompt.

Those, and other ways to shut down are in this tutorial.

Shut Down Computer in Windows 10

10. zbook New Member
    win + x, u, u is working on my computer for shutdown.
    Alternative is control + alt + del > file > run new task > shutdown /s
    or
    1) win + x
    2) a
    3) alt + y
    4) shutdown /s

zbook, Jan 16, 2018
  11. EdTittel Win User
    Winkey+x, u, u also works on all of my machines here at the house. I think Bree is onto something with the Intel NUC identification. Autohotkey Shutdown, 1 is what I see on the web page for that sequence, and what works on my machine, too. Switch your 9 for a 1 and see if that does the shutdown but leaves the power running as the doc says it should (I do understand that 9 = 8+1 in HotKey terms). Hope you get this straightened out. Sounds maddening!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 16, 2018
  12. beau Win User
    Well, well well . . turns out the culprit isn't Windows or the NUC, it's an older USB hub with a power switch. If I turn its power off before shutting down, either with WinKey-X-U-U or Alt-F4 or WinKey > Power, there's full shutdown and no restart.
    Happy times are back again *Wink

13. EdTittel Win User

It's always something. But this time, it's something weird and interesting. Never ran into that one, before. USB definitely has its eccentricities. Glad you got it sorted.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 17, 2018
  14. Bree New Member
    Well I never *Smile

Have a look in Device Manager. A USB Hub generally has a 'Power management' tab, and that tab generally has an 'allow this device to wake the computer' tick-box. Maybe it was ticked?

15. beau Win User
    Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers has a "USB Root Hub" and a "USB Root Heb (USB 3.0)" and each has, under Power Management:
    "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", which had been checked, so I unchecked it
    and
    "Allow this device to wake the computer", which was greyed out whether or not the other was checked.

But unchecking the first didn't prevent re-start after WinKey-X-U-U.

So the easy thing to do is just not hit the power button on the hub until Windows has started, and always turn off the hub before shutting down. I just have to remember it each time *Rolleyes

Thema:

1. Can't Shut Down with WinKey-X-U-U -- Restart Instead - Similar Threads - Can't Shut Down

2. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  3. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  4. Windows-X hotkeys Win-X -> U not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows-X hotkeys Win-X -> U not working: Hello everyone,It seems that my Win-X hotkeys aren't working, and they were just fine before. To clarify, I mean pressing Win-X to bring up the Quick Links menu works just fine, but further hotkeys after do not work after that. For example, I usually use Win-X -> u -> u to...
  5. Windows-X hotkeys Win-X -> U not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows-X hotkeys Win-X -> U not working: Hello everyone,It seems that my Win-X hotkeys aren't working, and they were just fine before. To clarify, I mean pressing Win-X to bring up the Quick Links menu works just fine, but further hotkeys after do not work after that. For example, I usually use Win-X -> u -> u to...
  6. U

in Windows 10 Gaming
    U: the card says you should put the flash stick in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/u%E7%9B%98%E6%98%BE%E7%A4%BA%E8%AF%B7%E5%B0%86/c5cbab7b-d3b9-429f-a659-1f745de469e0
  7. U

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    U: the card says you should put the flash stick in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/u%E7%9B%98%E6%98%BE%E7%A4%BA%E8%AF%B7%E5%B0%86/c5cbab7b-d3b9-429f-a659-1f745de469e0
  8. U

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Computer restarts instead of shutting down

Computer restarts instead of shutting down: I don't know if this is a computer glitch or a Microsoft one. Lately, maybe since the last update, when I shut off the computer, it restarts instead. Not consistently, but maybe about half the time. I get the screen that says it's shutting down with the little circling dots...
  10. Computer shuts down instead of restarting

Computer shuts down instead of restarting: Hello, I have been having this issue for a while now. I have reinstalled the pc, complete clean installation, changed disk, added memory... all to no avail. Wheneveer I want to restart, the laptop just shuts down. I am keeping up with all sorts of updates. I have a ASUS...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows x u u not working