Windows 10: Can't start or get to POST?

Discus and support Can't start or get to POST? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My 7 YO laptop wouldn't show anything on the screen a few months ago. Power light comes on, but can hear a click (like HDD trying to come on), but not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by spddemun, May 18, 2017.

1. spddemun Win User

Can't start or get to POST?

My 7 YO laptop wouldn't show anything on the screen a few months ago. Power light comes on, but can hear a click (like HDD trying to come on), but not always.

Power port was replaced a few years ago.

I pulled my Win10 HDD out & put in a blank, formatted one to try and get to POST, but nothing.
    Yesterday, it briefly showed MR-something Can't Be Found...was NOT MBR, but something else, went by too fast to see.

Just got back from visit to a repair shop I trust, & they said mobo is fried.

Any ideas on what to try? Doesn't appear to be Win10 problem.

:)

spddemun, May 18, 2017

2. Can't get started

I am trying to restart my Windows 10 notebook after performing a software update. I keep getting the following. I get “signs of life” but I can’t get the “normal” Windows screens. As long as i hold the mouse down I can get partial screen displays, but
    they disappear as soon as I lift my finger. I have copied what I hope is sufficient of the B&W screen messages.

Can anyone help please?

BSOD : Error 333 Registry Failure of operating system - HOST

BLUE SCREEN ERROR 0x000000CE
    TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
    * * * STOP : 0x000000E2 ( 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000 )

JohnSchmidtTY, May 18, 2017
  3. Can't get started

Hi,

Try the methods in the first link troubleshooter in my previous reply. There are methods to remove the update or revert your computer back to where it was previous to you applying the software update.

=================================

Added, but not instead of, you can use Safe Mode.

Try the Clean Boot method to see if a startup program is involved - if so it is a

process of elimination :

Right Click the start button - Command Prompt (Admin) - at the prompt type in

MSCONFIG

and hit enter

How to perform a clean boot in Windows - Windows 10 is essentially the same

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10

Rob - SpiritX

SpiritX MS MVP, May 18, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

All the symptoms point to a fried mobo. I seriously doubt there is anything you can do.

cereberus, May 18, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    Had a client called yesterday with a similar problem, her Notebook wouldn't start after having been used the night before. Pulled the power cord out and removed the battery, waited a couple of minutes then put things back, it started up and couldn't find any issue with it.

Berton, May 18, 2017
  6. spddemun Win User
    It has been sitting unplugged for 2 mos.

I will pull the battery (think it's already dead) & let it sit some more.

Just want to be sure before I let it go.

Thanks for suggestion.

spddemun, May 18, 2017
  7. spddemun Win User
    Thanks for opinion.

spddemun, May 18, 2017
  8. spddemun Win User

Curious, is mobo failure usually processor separation (paste on mobo)?

Had an older desktop & when I took it apart for recycling, paste had dried out & processor lifted up.

spddemun, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't start or get to POST? - Similar Threads - Can't start POST

2. Can't Post Replies

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Post Replies: Folks, I have three threads going, and for the last week I can't reply to any. I click Submit, and nothing happens.is anyone else on these forums reporting this issue? I talked with MS support and they said it's a known issue....
  3. Can't Post Replies

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Post Replies: Folks, I have three threads going, and for the last week I can't reply to any. I click Submit, and nothing happens.is anyone else on these forums reporting this issue? I talked with MS support and they said it's a known issue....
  4. Can't Post Replies

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't Post A Reply

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Post A Reply: Trying to post an answer to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/safe-mode/0d2adfdf-dfe3-4d9a-b4e3-844e12dff5ccbut after I click submit nothing happens and the Submit button is greyed out.any ideas why?? I was posting earlier in the day....
  6. Can't Post A Reply

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Post A Reply: Trying to post an answer to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/safe-mode/0d2adfdf-dfe3-4d9a-b4e3-844e12dff5ccbut after I click submit nothing happens and the Submit button is greyed out.any ideas why?? I was posting earlier in the day....
  7. Can't Post A Reply

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Memory XMP and Nvidia Surround On - Can't get POST

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Memory XMP and Nvidia Surround On - Can't get POST: Built a triple screen setup with AOC Agon 31.5 inch monitors (1ms 165hz). My PC specs: i7 7700k processor, 1 stick of RAM Corsair Vengeance 16gb 3000Mhz (at the A2 slot in mobo), GTX 1080Ti, Asus Maximus Hero IX motherboard, Corsair 850w psu. Windows 10 Pro legit fully...
  9. No posting at start/booting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No posting at start/booting: I had just reset Windows 10, as I am going to sell this pc. I waited for Windows to go through all the reset/reinstall process, but I stopped where it asks you to use your MS account. I figured that if the OS was already installed, and Windows was going to be used by someone...
  10. Can't get game to start

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't get game to start: Just installed doom 3 and it will not start. I get a message "do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" I tap yes and nothing happens! 118726