Windows 10: can't startup

Discus and support can't startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For over a year, I have had Windows 10 on a Lenovo G580 idea pad laptop. A few few minutes ago, I turned the computer on as usual but after seeing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by casale, Oct 29, 2017.

1. casale Win User

can't startup

For over a year, I have had Windows 10 on a Lenovo G580 idea pad laptop. A few few minutes ago, I turned the computer on as usual but after seeing the Lenovo logo, a screen appear saying BOOTMGR MISSING Press ctl+alt+del to restart.

After doing so, the a screem woth the same instructions appear. I tried turning the computer off and starting all over, with the same result. I am not a sufficiently knowledgable about computers to know if is a problem with window or the computer.

I would be grateful for any help.
    PS. I have a google chromebook on which I can get the same emails as the laptop avoiding, therefore, the catch 22 that I can't get your response because I can't get on the laptop.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

:)

casale, Oct 29, 2017

2. Can't log in at startup

How can anyone reinstall the Win 1o installation media if it was downloaded from MS in the first place?

Jeff CD&P, Oct 29, 2017
  3. Can't log in at startup

Hi Eric,

Let's try these simple troubleshooting steps and see if it resolves the issue.

Step 1:

We would suggest you to enable the Built-in Admin account and create a new local account.

• Insert Windows 10 installation media and restart the computer.
    • Swipe F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.
    • Once the Windows Setup appears, follow these steps:
    • Swipe Next and select Repair your computer.
    • Then you will see a blue screen and an option to choose.
    • Choose the option Troubleshoot and select Advanced options.
    • Select Command prompt
    • Type: net user administrator /active: yes

Note: Follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

After you reach the login screen, click on Administrator account at the login screen. From Built in administrator account, create a new user account and transfer all the user profile data of the old account (The account which
    you are not able to log in).

Step 2: Create a user account

Create a new user account from inbuilt admin account. Follow the steps:

• Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard.

• Type netplwiz and press Enter.

• Click on Add button and select Sign in without a Microsoft account.
    • Now click on Local account and follow the on screen to create the local account.

Step 3:

Follow the steps to change the account type of the new account to administrator by navigating to user accounts under control panel:

• Press Window key + X and select Control Panel.

• Click on User accounts.

• Click on Manage another account.

• Click on the new account that you have just created.

• Click on Change account type settings.

• Click on Change account type.

• Click on Administrator.

• Click on change account type.

• Restart the computer and log in through the new administrator account.

Step 4:

Transfer the user profile data from the old account to the new user account.

• Press Windows and x together and select Windows Explorer.

• Click on View tab and Click on Options at the top right corner.

• Click the View tab, and then click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

• Uncheck the box which states Hide protected operating system files.

Click Yes to confirm, and then click OK.

• Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and Old Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.

• Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:

• •Ntuser.dat

•Ntuser.dat.log

•Ntuser.ini

• Right click and Select Copy.

• Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and New Username is the name of the new user profile you created.

• Right click inside the folder and select Paste.

Restart your PC and check if you are able to log in to new user account.

Hope this helps. Do get back to us should you need further assistance.

Regards.

Armand Cos, Oct 29, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

can't startup

Samuria, Oct 29, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    The startup repair options from a standard Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD will very seldom repair such problems. I would suggest that you create a bootable USB flash drive or DVD of Kyhi's Recovery Tools available from this forum:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Boot the computer from a USB flash drive or DVD with Kyhi's Recovery Tools and you can do a couple of things. There is a program on it called Macrium Reflect. Run that program and under the Restore menu is a utility to Fix Windows boot problems. Select that utility and it has a much better chance of fixing the boot partition than the standard repair menu offered by Windows installation.

You can also access disk management and take a screenshot of the disk management display and we can see the status of the drive and possibly determine what the problem might be.

NavyLCDR, Oct 29, 2017
  6. casale Win User
    Thanks for the suggestions. I hope I can get back to you if I have trouble following the directions or it doesn't work.

Frank

casale, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

can't startup

1. can't startup - Similar Threads - can't startup

2. Help me, i can't log in to my account on advanced startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help me, i can't log in to my account on advanced startup: I tried to reset my computer because of "something happened and your pin isn't available. click to set up your pin again. set up my pin" this problem when i tried to open my computer after an update.But when i tried to reset my windows using advanced startup, it ask me to log...
  3. Help me, i can't log in to my account on advanced startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help me, i can't log in to my account on advanced startup: I tried to reset my computer because of "something happened and your pin isn't available. click to set up your pin again. set up my pin" this problem when i tried to open my computer after an update.But when i tried to reset my windows using advanced startup, it ask me to log...
  4. Help me, i can't log in to my account on advanced startup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Can't run on startup as administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't run on startup as administrator: I granted Discord and Unikey permission to run as administrator and they can't open automatically on startup anymore. I've tried checking the task manager and startup apps in settings, but to no avail. What can be done regarding this?...
  6. Can't run on startup as administrator

Can't run on startup as administrator: I granted Discord and Unikey permission to run as administrator and they can't open automatically on startup anymore. I've tried checking the task manager and startup apps in settings, but to no avail. What can be done regarding this?...
  7. boot loop again, can't access advanced startup because i don't know the administrator password

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    boot loop again, can't access advanced startup because i don't know the administrator password: Just a few weeks ago, I had to reset my computer because it was stuck in an infinite boot loop. Now, it is in another boot loop thanks to a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error, but this time I can't access advanced startup as I don't know the password to the administrator account. I...
  8. boot loop again, can't access advanced startup because i don't know the administrator password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    boot loop again, can't access advanced startup because i don't know the administrator password: Just a few weeks ago, I had to reset my computer because it was stuck in an infinite boot loop. Now, it is in another boot loop thanks to a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error, but this time I can't access advanced startup as I don't know the password to the administrator account. I...
  9. boot loop again, can't access advanced startup because i don't know the administrator password

10. i can't delete app from startup apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i can't delete app from startup apps: hii have an issue to delete appcan u help me for deleting some app name "Program"i can't delete this app called Programthe application can't display the properties and open file location, so i cant find and delete this app....