Windows 10: Can't take ownership of external hard drive

Discus and support Can't take ownership of external hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an external hard drive and when i try to open it, it says access denied.. when i try to see the ownership, it says unable to determine owner.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jenil295, Feb 14, 2016.

1. jenil295 Win User

Can't take ownership of external hard drive

I have an external hard drive and when i try to open it, it says access denied..
    when i try to see the ownership, it says unable to determine owner.
    When i try to change the ownership through various methods like cmd promp takeown or by going to the properties of the drive, it says unable to set new owner, access is denied...
    Please help!!

:)

jenil295, Feb 14, 2016
  2. slance310 Win User

can't take ownership of files in External Hard drive

Hi,

That sounds like either you have a bad connection to the drive, or the drive is failing...

If you are unable to get it to work in Windows you might see if you can save your files by booting with a Linus based bootable program...

Parted Magic has a File Explorer which works just like Windows Explorer for copying files... In one way it is different... It lists the drives on the left of the window by disk number and size... not the name you gave it...

Once you click on it though, it will display the contents of the drive and the name it had in Windows... Then you can just copy and paste...

This a link to the last free version... burn it as a ISO to a CD and it will be bootable...

Download Parted Magic - MajorGeeks

slance310, Feb 14, 2016
  3. can't take ownership of files in External Hard drive

Original title: can't take ownership

I have a hard drive from my old laptop that was running windows 7i took the hard drive out and turned it into a external drive when i hooked it up to my new laptop running windows 10 and tried to open the files it said i didn't have permission so i rid to
    take ownership of my old drive and it starts and gets half way done and then it stops and it says can't change ownership device not ready please help the old drive had important photos of my kids

thanks in advance

RussellRobbins, Feb 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Feb 15, 2016
  5. jenil295 Win User
    The underlining issue is the same.. However, the hard disk was never encrypted nor did it ever have windows installed on it..
    However, when i try to follow the steps given in the post, it still does not allow me to change permissions as i stated in the post itself..
    Somehow, even while using the Administrator acc built in of windows, i am not able to regain control of the hard drive..

jenil295, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't take ownership of external hard drive - Similar Threads - Can't ownership external

2. Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11: I have an external hard drive and when i try to open it, it says access denied..when i try to see the ownership, it says unable to determine owner.When i try to change the ownership through various methods like cmd promp takeown or by going to the properties of the drive, it...
  3. Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11: I have an external hard drive and when i try to open it, it says access denied..when i try to see the ownership, it says unable to determine owner.When i try to change the ownership through various methods like cmd promp takeown or by going to the properties of the drive, it...
  4. Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. can't take ownership of folders copied on hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't take ownership of folders copied on hard drive: Hi, On my old pc I copied some files on an HDD then removed it and installed it in another PC. On the new pc I can see the folders and some programs like unlocker allow me to see files in them. I tried everything from unlocker to registry edits to allow to take ownership...
  6. Can't mount external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't mount external hard drive: An external USB hard drive has been used for a number of years to regularly archive data on a Linux Debian system. The latest attempt to archive data gave the following error :- mount /media/backup mount : can't find UUID=0688802088800FFB Why does this error occur and how...
  7. take ownership of hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    take ownership of hard drive: Hi guys, I've been denied access on an external hard disk so I tried to take ownership but it won't let me do it. It says it is unable to set new owner as there is not enough space on the disk. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you...
  8. External hard drive can't open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive can't open: External hard drive is listed in disc management as "raw". Is there a way to open or access it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-cant-open/6ac9492f-b2ed-4301-916b-48d818c0af86
  9. Best way to take ownership of a user account on an external drive

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Best way to take ownership of a user account on an external drive: Something I need to do from time to time is transfer user data from an old Windows computer. I usually put the old hard drive in a USB enclosure, navigate to the user profile folder properties/security tab/Advanced/, add the admin user on the new PC, give "full control" to...
  10. Can't Access External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't Access External Hard Drive: I can't access my external hard drive from my laptop. But when connect to other laptop using win 7 it easily open. [img] Drive E not showing NTFS file system. [img] Pop up when I tried to open Drive E. This is so frustrating Its not my external HD fault and I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. taking ownership of a hard drive

2. ownership considerations for external drives

3. cant take ownership hard drive windwos 10

4. take ownership of usb external hdd,
  5. i cant take ownership of my hard drive,
  6. take ownership of extenal hdd,
  7. unable to take ownership of external