Windows 10: Can't toggle Hidden Files

Discus and support Can't toggle Hidden Files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Since yesterday I've been unable to toggle hidden files from the View tab of the ribbons. It's unchecked and when I click on it the check mark... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by VeeK727, Nov 25, 2015.

1. VeeK727 Win User

Can't toggle Hidden Files

Hi, Since yesterday I've been unable to toggle hidden files from the View tab of the ribbons. It's unchecked and when I click on it the check mark appears for a second and disappear again.

Only change I've done recently is installed an antivirus (Bitdefender 2016), could that be the cause?

I had this problem before on Windows 8.1 before it got updated and I had to do a reinstall to fix it. I really don't wanna do it again.

:)

VeeK727, Nov 25, 2015

2. Free cell and windows 10

Turns out I had also fiddled with the hidden files setting in Windows Explorer: View > Show/Hide > Hidden Items. When I checked that, it hid files like thumbs.db, but it also hid files and folders I actually use! Once I toggled that, I got everything back.

Somehow a lot of the files and folders that I regularly use are also hidden. So I need to go through and fix that (right-click the folder > General tab > Attributes > Uncheck "Hidden"). This "feature" didn't show up until the
    migration to Win10.

PatRodgersSJ, Nov 25, 2015
  3. TonyUsi Win User
    Windows 10's "photos"-app can not delete images from onedrive

Open file explorer then picture where the file is hidden that you can't delete, open view and check hidden items now you can delete that photo...it's hidden that can't be deleted on photo apps...

TonyUsi, Nov 25, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 25, 2015
  5. VeeK727 Win User
    File Explorer options and ribbon check mark doesn't work for me like I said. I tried the registry key editing and I get this error "Cannot edit Hidden: Error writing the value's new contents", Hidden being the key that needs to be changed.

I'm using Windows 10 btw.

VeeK727, Nov 26, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 26, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Disable Bit Defender and see if that is the cause (as you mentioned).

Ztruker, Nov 26, 2015
  8. VeeK727 Win User

@Brink Sorry. Forgot about that. The bat file failed to restart the explorer so I did it manually and when I did it was still the same. No change

VeeK727, Nov 27, 2015
  9. VeeK727 Win User
    @Ztruker Yes it worked. Particularly the problem was the Intrusion Detection module of bitdefender. The explanation says that the module blocks attempts to change critical files and registry entries. Disabling that made hide/show hidden files possible.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

VeeK727, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't toggle Hidden Files - Similar Threads - Can't toggle Hidden

2. A hidden hidden file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A hidden hidden file?: Win 10 is telling me a folder exists that it doesn't show no matter what I click.I've been trying to install Corel Photo house 4.0 on Win10 but it keeps telling me that there's a .dll file missing that it can't load. I've tried recreating the folder in Win10 that it's looking...
  3. A hidden hidden file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A hidden hidden file?: Win 10 is telling me a folder exists that it doesn't show no matter what I click.I've been trying to install Corel Photo house 4.0 on Win10 but it keeps telling me that there's a .dll file missing that it can't load. I've tried recreating the folder in Win10 that it's looking...
  4. A hidden hidden file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hidden file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hidden file: Some time ago i had made an antivirus scam but my antivirus could not open and scan a file that was strange to me. The path to the file is "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender" The file's weight is 0KB, the file is also hidden. My amtivirus's publisher wrote that...
  6. Can't hide hidden files.

Can't hide hidden files.: Whenever I do a document/file search on my computer it always shows a bunch of files that should be hidden and I can't seem to hide them. I have tried going into the folder options and making sure that show hidden files are off but it still makes no difference. Does anyone...
  7. Hidden files

Hidden files: Good day, i have a problem regarding on my files that cant be seen even you already change the settings to view hidden folder or files... the history of this, is when i was try to secure my files, i change the security settings of that folder in properties... i denied all the...
  8. Hidden File

Hidden File: Sandeep thanks for your reply as you say it can help forum users. However the original question was deleted by on of your Colleagues I cant see what I did wrong or what rule I broke. I dont know if you can retrieve it Thanks once again...
  9. Hidden Files Can't be changed to "View Hidden Files"

Hidden Files Can't be changed to "View Hidden Files": Hello I have Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.523) I noticed that my hidden files could not be viewed, and after exhausting multiple options I just created a new User Profile. Now this new User profile has the issue, and I do not want to keep on creating new...
  10. Can't See Hidden Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't See Hidden Files: I ran into a recent problem where I can no longer see hidden folders or files. Yesterday or the day before I could but now I can't . On the drive and folder my hidden folder is in, when I go to re-select the View and then click the Hidden Item box, the menu closes without...