Windows 10: Can't turn file history on

Discus and support Can't turn file history on in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; [img] File history is turned off and I'm not able to turn it back on. As you can see from the screenshot the "Turn On" button is grayed out. I'm not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Fred22, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Fred22 Win User

Can't turn file history on

Can't turn file history on [​IMG]

File history is turned off and I'm not able to turn it back on. As you can see from the screenshot the "Turn On" button is grayed out. I'm not sure how this happened, but believe it was while trying to backup files and folders. How can I turn file history back on, with the button grayed out?

:)

Fred22, Oct 10, 2016
  2. jknightms Win User

Can't turn File History back on

PA Bear

I restored to the only point before my troubles which was a September 2016 image. This reported that it had failed and files had not been changed but several programs immediately started reporting updates available and, more to the point, File History was
    working again. So it obviously had restored the system.

In the course of updating a reboot was required and Windows took the opportunity to update itself - including KB3206632. However File History is still working! So I'm guessing that the problem was indeed File History getting its knickers in a twist when
    I tried to make changes. I see now that when changing destination discs the original disc must be "Stopped" first. I had not done that.

Many thanks for you help

JK

jknightms, Oct 10, 2016
  3. Can't turn File History back on

If you're really, REALLY lucky and have a Restore Point dated 14 December (i.e., created prior to the install of KB3206632), see if using that Restore Point (followed by a reboot) resolves the problem.

I can assure you that your injudicious use of registry cleaners is playing a role here. CUT IT OUT!! <wink>

PA Bear - MS MVP, Oct 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, forgive the obvious questions, noting the error msg,
    - do you have an external drive plugged in?
    - is it allocated the same drive letter as when previously used?
    - is it the same drive?
    - is it visible in file explorer?
    - is there space?

dalchina, Oct 10, 2016
  5. Fred22 Win User
    . .

No external HD plugged in. I had one plugged into drive E: yesterday. I'm trying to turn File Folder on and get it to recognize C:. As you can see from the screenshot the "turn on" button is grayed out. How do I turn File Explorer back on? I've read the tutorials but can't seem to get it turned back on. I've tried in control panel and with File Explorer but can't get it turned back on. Any ideas?

Fred22, Oct 10, 2016
  6. Fred22 Win User
    The button that says turn off is not there...nothing
    This is what I have when I go to Backup. When I click "add a drive" I get "No usable drive found". I want File Explorer to find drive C: and use that for backup, as it was doing before.

Fred22, Oct 10, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Add a drive will look for an external drive or a network drive.

You should not back up what's (probably) on C: to C: anyway. Think disk failure, file system corruption, virus, ransomware.....

"No usable drive found" is trying to help you there.

Here I clicked 'Select drive' - with one USB drive attached, and two drives in my laptop, this is what it offered.

dalchina, Oct 10, 2016
  8. Fred22 Win User

Okay...so I have nothing to worry about? When I save a document it's automatically saved to the laptop hard drive (C*Smile. If I connect my flash drive it will find that one and use it. That's what happened yesterday. I backed up some docs and pics to a flash drive which I will transfer to my external HD. Guess I was just confused re what File Explorer is. I thought there was something wrong with my computer. But all is well, right?

Fred22, Oct 10, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    I don't think there's any sign of a problem.

File explorer is just the current name for explorer.exe - the file manager (and control panel and desktop).

Now think a bit further.. it's all very well backing up some data- that's good. But what if your PC suddenly becomes unbootable- or Windows starts acting strangely?

Here's what we recommend very strongly so as to give users a second chance in many cases without technical help.
    Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your disks and partitions to a previous working state, quickly and probably without technical help.

You can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

dalchina, Oct 10, 2016
  10. Fred22 Win User
    Disc imaging sounds like a good idea, but I really don't understand how it works though, since I've never used one. I assume I Google Macrium Reflect and download the program, but where do you store the program? Obviously not on the computer. Could you put it on a flash drive and run it like that (or external hard drive)? Thanks so much for your assistance. You've gone way beyond the call of duty.

Fred22, Oct 11, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Thanks- the idea is to get everyone using disk imaging, so they can restore images and so resolve a number of problems. That way forum traffic is reduced... *chuckle

Seriously, it's a great benefit and saved me several times. Can also help avoid clean installing in some cases.

So, just download and install as normal. Create the bootable medium too- that answers your concern about where to install it. You only need that if recovering an unbootable PC or restoring your system drive/partitions. It's not like data recovery programs where you don't install the data recovery program on the partition you want to recover.

dalchina, Oct 11, 2016
  12. Fred22 Win User
    You're right. Everything's okay w/laptop. I plugged in my flash drive and when I went to backup, it recognized E: and the On button appeared. Thanks again for your assistance.

Fred22, Oct 11, 2016
  13. Fred22 Win User

Back again...I went to Macrium website to download M. Reflect and found there is a trial version and a full version. I was under the impression that it was a free download. Am I missing something?

Fred22, Oct 11, 2016
  14. Mooly Win User
    Although you need to understand the implications (as dalchina pointed out), you can actually use File History with your main drive (to back up to another partition) and avoid the need to have a USB drive attached. I

found on a laptop that using a USB3 flash drive constantly for File History caused annoying and noticeable lag of the cursor and a general overall increase in 'resources used'. My otherwise extremely speedy laptop wasn't quite so snappy. So I use File History to back up to the main drive and continue with system images as a total safeguard.

File History - Windows 10 Forums

Edit... last post in that thread shows how to do it.

Mooly, Oct 11, 2016
  15. Bree New Member
    Neat trick - share a local folder so File History thinks it's a network drive. Being on the same drive it's no protection for a drive failure though (one of those implications that dalchina pointed out).

I prefer to point my File History to a completely independent network drive. It's easy to make one if your router has a USB socket, just plug a USB drive into it (preferably an HDD, but you can use a USB stick). Most routers will share this as a network accessible drive.

I also use a separate backup utility and make regular system images (you can never have enough backups).

Thema:

1. Can't turn file history on - Similar Threads - Can't turn file

2. file history won't turn on

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file history won't turn on: file history won't turn on so my external hard drive will work correctly.A message comes that it has no enabled devices attached to it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-wont-turn-on/246374cb-bec9-4233-a293-e00732f30c03
  3. can't turn on file history

can't turn on file history: I am trying to set up an external hard disk but can't get the file history to turn on. Can you assist?Thank you,Erich Swett https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-turn-on-file-history/766d9f1d-1437-4e61-9b39-3134768eda18
  4. Problems with turning on file history

Problems with turning on file history: My issues showed up some months ago, all of a sudden the photos I had neatly compacted into folders totally disappeared. I have been able to download a few camera chips, and put some files back in, but everything is just scattered everywhere. There is little seperation in any...
  5. How to turn on File History ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to turn on File History ?: From the control panel : How to turn on File History ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-on-file-history/5412cd2b-5ce4-4558-ba2b-5c0f6a865dbf
  6. File History can't find file but it is there

File History can't find file but it is there: I've been using File History for over 2 years on Win 10 with no issues. Files save to my external Seagate 2TB drive. Now, today I discover that when I want to see the file history of any file in my "MY PICTURES" folder using the "File History" icon in Explorer, I get "We...
  7. how to turn on file history

how to turn on file history: how to turn on file history. All my files were deleted after las windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-on-file-history/42b13248-9721-4299-9b97-eb212c0bbce7
  8. File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on: An apparent update to Windows 10 caused File History to turn itself off. When trying to restart it, File History keep getting message "no external hard drive detected". Widows 10 shows the external disk working with no problems. When i tried to download data to the external...
  9. File history is greyed out and can't be turned on?

File history is greyed out and can't be turned on?: File history is greyed out and can't be turned on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-is-greyed-out-and-cant-be-turned-on/bc21da1e-e0dd-4871-b0f5-7b56b1501750"
  10. Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back up versions of...