Windows 10: Can't Turn Off Activity Similar To Mouse Keys

Discus and support Can't Turn Off Activity Similar To Mouse Keys in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I know Mouse Keys allows the numeric keypad to control movement of the mouse on screen. I've checked this setting on my computer and it is turned off -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by thepipe, Oct 20, 2016.

1. thepipe Win User

Can't Turn Off Activity Similar To Mouse Keys

I know Mouse Keys allows the numeric keypad to control movement of the mouse on screen. I've checked this setting on my computer and it is turned off - which is my preference. However, when I press Alt and any of the arrow keys, my mouse moves across the screen. Alt-Up moves the mouse pointer up, Alt Left move the mouse left, etc. This interferes with other programs on my laptop. Is there some other setting or program that causes this? If so, how do I turn it off?

This is a recent occurrence. I've been using Windows 10 for a while and this has not happened before. I have not installed anything recently that would effect the mouse. I am using a Logitech MX Revolution mouse, which has it's own control panel settings. But, it has no function for moving the mouse using the keyboard. I've checked the Windows mouse and keyboard control panels too and have found nothing to stop this from occurring.

Does anyone have any insight? I'm running Windows 10 x64, on an HP Envy, with an i7 processor.

TIA for any help.

:)

thepipe, Oct 20, 2016

2. mouse usability by older persons

Can't test here, but first Google result:

Toggle mouse keys on / off

• Enable Mouse keys in the Control Panel item Accessability options, tab Mouse. Whether Num Lock is ON or OFF for active Mouse keys can also be set.
    • Activate Mouse keys with LEFT ALT + LEFT SHIFT + NUM LOCK . ...
    • Turn Mouse keys off by pressing again this sequence.

Mouse keys - Docu + Design Daube

www.daube.ch/share/win02.html

Keith A. Miller, Oct 20, 2016
  3. AlanCam Win User
    mouse usability by older persons

Thanks for the reply.

AlanCam, Oct 20, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

You may have a stuck key on your keyboard. Turn the keyboard upside down and shake it and blow it out with a can of compressed air. Try the Onscreen keyboard. Try a different USB keyboard.

spunk, Nov 30, 2016
  5. thepipe Win User
    Thanks, but it's not a stuck/dirty keyboard issue. It's definitely a software or system issue. Pressing the alt key with any arrow key moves the cursor in that direction. Onscreen keyboard is impractical. My computer is a laptop, so an external keyboard would be impractical, plus I'm not sure what another keyboard would do, aside from showing the behavior can/cannot be replicated. Yes/No?

thepipe, Nov 30, 2016
  6. spunk Win User
    Using the onscreen keyboard or USB keyboard isn't the solution, it is to test if it is a software issue or if it is the keyboard itself. If it is the keyboard, it may need to be replaced.

spunk, Nov 30, 2016
  7. thepipe Win User
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

EDIT

I can replicate the behavior with the OSK, so it's definitely a software thing. With both the actual keyboard and the OSK, it only happens when using the left ALT key.

thepipe, Nov 30, 2016
  8. thepipe Win User

SOLVED

I found the cause of the problem. I am using a screen zooming utility named Glassbrick. It has a setting that allows the cursor to be moved using the keyboard. I had inadvertently enabled the setting for the cursor keys.

Thanks for the help!

Can't Turn Off Activity Similar To Mouse Keys [​IMG]

thepipe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Turn Off Activity Similar To Mouse Keys - Similar Threads - Can't Turn Off

2. Can't turn off numpad for mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't turn off numpad for mouse: Hi all. I am pretty new to Windows, just since last summer. And moving between mac os and windows is not comfortable. :I am using windows 11 and a logitech mx keys keyboard.Right now I am having a really hard time turning on the numpad. Moving the mouse with the numpad works...
  3. Can't turn off numpad for mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't turn off numpad for mouse: Hi all. I am pretty new to Windows, just since last summer. And moving between mac os and windows is not comfortable. :I am using windows 11 and a logitech mx keys keyboard.Right now I am having a really hard time turning on the numpad. Moving the mouse with the numpad works...
  4. Qos or similar turned on?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Qos or similar turned on?: Hello, So i got myself a intel CT gigabit nic. Qos is off in router Qos & vlan turned off in adapter settings. Yet download / upload decreases 30-50% when watching youtube or a twitch stream? Whats going on? Thx submitted by /u/user_982396 [link] [comments]...
  5. Turning off Mouse Keys turns off my mouse pointer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turning off Mouse Keys turns off my mouse pointer: So every now and then Mouse Keys gets turned on. I'm not sure how, maybe some keyboard shortcut gets accidentally pressed to turn it on while I'm cleaning it? Anyways, I went to turn it off and when I do, it disables my mouse pointer. How do I fix this? I can't use my...
  6. Mouse Keys will not turn off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse Keys will not turn off: After recently restarting my Surface tablet, I am unable to turn off the Mouse Keys function. In Settings, I have the "Control your mouse with a keypad" option turned to "off", but using my arrow keys still moves my mouse....
  7. Mouse keys not turning off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mouse keys not turning off: I have the ease of access feature "Mouse Keys" turned off however it still moves when ever I use my mouse and keyboard. I have looked on the internet and each thing keeps telling me to go to settings. These are the things I have tried my self: unplugging both my mouse and...
  8. I can't turn Mouse Keys off

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't turn Mouse Keys off: The Mouse Keys function suddenly turned on for my Windows 10 and I can't turn it off. I've searched around on how to disable Mouse Keys, and I've done both options that I've been told. The option is turned off in the Mouse section in Ease of Access. Yet Mouse Keys is still...
  9. Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows: How to: Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows How to Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows By default in Windows, you need to click/tap on a window to make it active and bring it into focus. If you like,...
  10. Turn On and Off Mouse Keys in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On and Off Mouse Keys in Windows 10: How to: Turn On and Off Mouse Keys in Windows 10 How to Turn On and Off Mouse Keys in Windows 10 [img] Information Mouse Keys lets you control the mouse pointer by using the numeric keypad on your keyboard. [img] Moving the pointer using Mouse Keys...