Windows 10: Can't type in search and IE after update

Discus and support Can't type in search and IE after update in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Fresh install of Windows. Did the updates. After the last updates and a restart, now all of a sudden I can't type in the Search field anymore, and I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by RealJustMe, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Can't type in search and IE after update

Fresh install of Windows. Did the updates. After the last updates and a restart, now all of a sudden I can't type in the Search field anymore, and I also can't type in the address bar in Internet explorer.

But I can type if I create a notepad, and I can type if I open the notepad inside. I can also type my password when my computer starts.

So what gives? What can I do here?

p.s I already did a restart. Didn't fix it.

:)

RealJustMe, Oct 11, 2017
  2. manoj1963 Win User

Google as default?

Can't set Google as default search engine in IE after Amber Update - Lumia920

manoj1963, Oct 11, 2017
  3. search bar doesnt allow to type and search

Hi Laxmi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if there is some system file is corrupt or due to some security software is conflicting to system funtionality.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

1. Are you getting any error message when try to type in search bar?

2. Have you made any changes to the Computer prior to the issue?

3. Have you installed any third party security software?

Refer to the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to temporarily disable the antivirus or uninstall third party security software and check if it helps.

Disable Anti virus:

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it
    to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

If the issues still persist, refer to the below method.

Method 2: I suggest you to perform the below methods and check if it helps.

1. Open an Administrator CMD window. If you can’t find a way, use these steps:

2. Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task Manager.

3. Click File > Run New Task.

4. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”.

5. Type "CMD" without the quotes and hit on
    Enter Key.

6. Type the following commands at the CMD prompt and hit onEnter Key:

sfc /scannow

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

7. If the above didn’t resolve the issues. Then perform the below methods.

8. If the above commands both completed and show no remaining issues, run these commands:

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

9. Restart your Computer.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 11, 2017
  4. Can't type in search and IE after update

RealJustMe, Oct 11, 2017
Thema:

Can't type in search and IE after update

1. Can't type in search and IE after update - Similar Threads - Can't type search

2. Can't type on Search Bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't type on Search Bar: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/75tavares [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/179x1rc/cant_type_on_search_bar/
  3. Can't type in search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't type in search bar: If I click on the search bar in the task bar, it briefly highlights - the cursor appears as if to allow me to begin typing, then the cursor disappears and the box is no longer highlighted. I cannot type into it.This is also true in the search bar of Windows Explorer, thus I...
  4. Can't type in search bar

in Cortana
    Can't type in search bar: If I click on the search bar in the task bar, it briefly highlights - the cursor appears as if to allow me to begin typing, then the cursor disappears and the box is no longer highlighted. I cannot type into it.This is also true in the search bar of Windows Explorer, thus I...
  5. Can't type in search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't type in search bar: I am unable to type in the search bar of either File Explorer or desktop search. I had the problem with Windows 10 and hoped that upgrading to Windows 11 would fix it. That didn't help....
  6. Can't type in search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't type in search bar: I am unable to type in the search bar of either File Explorer or desktop search. I had the problem with Windows 10 and hoped that upgrading to Windows 11 would fix it. That didn't help....
  7. Can't type in windows search

in Cortana
    Can't type in windows search: So yesterday I saw that my windows search is not working I'm tried to fix it I'm watched a lot of videos in YouTube but it didn't helped https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-type-in-windows-search/9db6a80c-4635-4bea-a1f1-8be6e87a094f
  8. Can't type in windows search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't type in windows search: So yesterday I saw that my windows search is not working I'm tried to fix it I'm watched a lot of videos in YouTube but it didn't helped https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-type-in-windows-search/9db6a80c-4635-4bea-a1f1-8be6e87a094f
  9. Can't Hit Windows Key And Start Typing To Search After Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Hit Windows Key And Start Typing To Search After Update: I used to be able to just hit the Windows key and then start typing to search for apps, etc. After the most recent update, this is no longer the case.If I click on the Windows icon and then start typing, the search works.It's as if the focus is not there to allow for typing...
  10. After update, can't type in windows search bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    After update, can't type in windows search bar: After a recent update, the windows search bar no longer works. I can, thankfully, access most of what i need through the Windows start button but any help to get the search bar working again would be much appreciated....