Windows 10: Can't uninstall English (GB) speech recognition from optional features

Discus and support Can't uninstall English (GB) speech recognition from optional features in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I accidentally installed English (GB) speech recognition with the scroll wheel, and haven't been able to find any way to remove it. It's using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 123456789a, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Can't uninstall English (GB) speech recognition from optional features

I accidentally installed English (GB) speech recognition with the scroll wheel, and haven't been able to find any way to remove it.
    It's using valuable space on my SSD and I'd rather not have it, I don't intend to use speech recognition at all.

You can see here in the optional feature history that it was just installed, it didn't come as part of the windows installation. Imgur: The magic of the Internet

In the Manage Optional Features list, there is no uninstall button, simply a Manage button. Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    When I click the manage button I am brought here Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    And as you can see I don't even have a GB or UK language installed. English (Canada) has been installed the entire time.

I have found the location of the installation in my windows folder here Imgur: The magic of the Internet but I can't manually delete it, and I assume it would just reinstall itself.

I just can't find anywhere to uninstall this item.
    I found this thread, but there was nothing helpful inside, and it was quite old.
    How to remove Optional Features (text-speech, speech rec., etc)? - Windows 10 Forums

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

:)

123456789a, Jan 10, 2018

2. Can't change speech setting to English (United Kingdom)

Hm - not sure; sounds like your local speech isn't installed. Did you miss the first step?

Settings->System->apps and features->manage optional features->Add a feature->English(GB) Speech Recognition.

M Nettlingham, Jan 10, 2018
  3. Can't change speech setting to English (United Kingdom)

I had this issue too. My solution was:

Settings->System->apps and features->manage optional features->Add a feature->English(GB) Speech Recognition.

Or, quicker, search for 'optional features', and take it from there.

Then, settings->Time and Language->Speech->English(GB)

However, I still can't turn Cortana on. Will try a reboot.

/Edit - nope Can't uninstall English (GB) speech recognition from optional features :( - I have GB English set as the laptop's language, the same for the region, and my location is also GB.

/Edit #2 - fixed it. You have to actively download the language pack before you can turn Cortana on. Settings->Time and Language -> Region and Language -> Click on the language previously selected -> options -> download language pack.

Then, you can turn Cortana on.

M Nettlingham, Jan 10, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Can't uninstall English (GB) speech recognition from optional features

Did you look in Control Panel or Settings for Programs and Features, click on Turn Windows features on or off for an entry?

Berton, Jan 10, 2018
  5. Yes, there is no listing under the programs or installed updates, and I don't see anything in the turn windows features list that looks related to speech recognition. Imgur: The magic of the Internet

123456789a, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't uninstall English (GB) speech recognition from optional features

1. Can't uninstall English (GB) speech recognition from optional features - Similar Threads - Can't uninstall English

2. Speech recognition language stuck to English

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speech recognition language stuck to English: Hi!I have three language packs installed English, French and Spanish. Even when I select another language as the speech language, the voice typing is stuck to English.Any help, please?...
  3. Speech recognition language stuck to English

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Speech recognition language stuck to English: Hi!I have three language packs installed English, French and Spanish. Even when I select another language as the speech language, the voice typing is stuck to English.Any help, please?...
  4. Change Speech Recognition Language does not work from English to German

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Speech Recognition Language does not work from English to German: Voice typing in German How can I dictate texts in German language? OS: windows 11 current settings: display language: German [Germany] time and language / language and region: - German [Germany] - English [American English] time & language / speech recognition language:...
  5. Change Speech Recognition Language does not work from English to German

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Speech Recognition Language does not work from English to German: Voice typing in German How can I dictate texts in German language? OS: windows 11 current settings: display language: German [Germany] time and language / language and region: - German [Germany] - English [American English] time & language / speech recognition language:...
  6. Speech recognition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speech recognition: My built-in microphone isn't working. Worse, my microphone built into my headset isn't working either. I can hear fine from the speakers both built into the computer and from the headset, but can't speak at all. What's wrong?...
  7. Speech recognition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Speech recognition: Am using Windows 10. There is also Speech recognition. If i want to use it can i use an Virtual mic?Because i have a view movies with no subtitles.And for these movies are no subtitles to get.I have to put Dutch words on text so i can translate it to English....
  8. Can't uninstall optional features

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't uninstall optional features: I wanted to uninstall Notepad to install the UWP Notepad from the Microsoft Store, but Windows won't let me uninstall classic Notepad. [ATTACH] Please help!!!...
  9. Can't enable speech recognition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't enable speech recognition: I am unable to enable speech recognition. Can you help me? I got an error message saying that Speech Recognition could not start. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-enable-speech-recognition/aebf33f1-10bf-4849-9b06-1d5f04c23a0b
  10. SPEECH RECOGNITION

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SPEECH RECOGNITION: I HAVE WINDOWS 10. THE SPEECH RECOGNITION DOES NOT LOAD AT STARTUUPCAN I CORRECT THIS? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/speech-recognition/43c4fd94-71ab-4012-9ab3-0da1e255ed0a

Users found this page by searching for:

1. force uninstalling speech recognition pack

2. 0365 cant install english speech recognition

3. uninstall language windows 10 english gb

4. windows 10 optional features speech uninstall,
  5. english (gb) speech recognition pack,
  6. uninstall speech recognition,
  7. windows(gb) speech recognition feacher is cant download,
  8. 0x800f0854,
  9. english (gb) speech recognition failing repeatedly,
  10. i have problem in the optional features english speech recognition,
  11. english gb speech recognition wont install 0x800f0854