Windows 10: Can't unmark Read only from folder.

Discus and support Can't unmark Read only from folder. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, I cant make a folder to full access. It remains as READ only always, when I try to unmark the square mark. Its like there in all of my files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NRT, Aug 3, 2015.

1. NRT
    NRT Win User

Can't unmark Read only from folder.

Hi there, I cant make a folder to full access. It remains as READ only always, when I try to unmark the square mark. Its like there in all of my files and folders. Do anything special to do to make them full access other than unmarking read only ? Thank You.

:)

2. Windows 10 file explorer not responding

Actually, it was the fix for me in Windows 8.

I had these 'not responding' issues in Windows 10 and the fix was interesting:

a right click on the folder, selecting properties, it said "read only" - possibly due to the changeover from 8 to 10. I realized lots of folders are marked read only now that I never intended to be read only.

So I unmarked read only and it is working like a charm now.

Hope this helps!

EdwardSodmann, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Gater_999 Win User
    Read Only - Widows 10 changed all my files to read only - "Administrator Permission?

Well, the Documents folder is still marked as read only, but suddenly all the subordinate files are unmarked and I can change and save them.

Gater_999, Aug 3, 2015
  4. steve1711 Win User

I had same problem - all files and folders (except on desktop) had been set to read only. Changing attributes did not work. What I did was go to the security tab, chose edit, find the user and then tick the box which says write (it was always unticked). Can do this for file by file or for whole folders. Hope this helps.

steve1711, Aug 3, 2015
  5. AvSion Win User
    I tried this and it does not work - the files remain not accessible. What to do?????

AvSion, Aug 5, 2015
  6. This again...geeze how many times must we tell people. The read-only attribute in Folder Properties does not apply to folders. (It says so right there next to it.) The box is always a filled in block on Folder Properties no matter what. It will always display as an intermediate value. A check box at three states: Unchecked - Intermediate - Checked.

Most likely you need to reset the permissions of this folder. I'm going to guess it was setup from another installation of Windows, those permissions are setup for that installation.

logicearth, Aug 5, 2015
  7. AvSion Win User
    Thanks for replying, logicearth. I got this new computer one month ago with windows 8.1. It did not have this problem. I downloaded and installed windows 10 last week. This week I discovered that all my files are effectively blocked - I cannot edit them and save them (I can however copy them elsewhere, e.g. to my desktop, and edit them and save them there).
    I tried many things to get out of this unsuccessfully - hours and hours of useless work. Under Properties, I tried changing the permissions to Documents folder in the security tab, then removing the read-only in the General tab, but nothing works. I also tried running "control userpassword2" and giving myself admin privileges there, but that did not work either. My files are still unaccessible - word, excel, money, etc.

It seems that windows 10 screws up the normal course of things in 8.1. It looks like microsoft has again given out stuff before optimizing it.

What to do? - Should I try to revert to windows 8.1 and give up on windows 10? And will this give me back control of my files? Any instruction as to how to solve the problem would be very welcome.

AvSion, Aug 5, 2015
  8. snacdaws Win User

I have the same issue on my new windows 8.1 Desktop, not sure what caused it

I'm going to try reinstalling 8.1

snacdaws, Aug 21, 2015
  9. snacdaws Win User
    I personally don't think reverting back to 8.1 now will fix it but you are welcome to try
    Especially since it has been happening on Windows ever since Windows 2000/XP

snacdaws, Aug 21, 2015
  10. This question will never go away, because it makes no sense, there is no explanation in the GUI, and it is impossible to universally inform people of anything. And there aren't 3 states, there are 2: a black square and a checkmark, and with only 2 states, an "intermediate" state is impossible. "Unchecked" isn't a real state, because, as you pointed out, "The box is always a filled in block on Folder Properties no matter what." Yes, you can click it once, leaving the checkbox empty, but that doesn't actually do anything.

Instead of something which makes sense, such as an empty checkbox by default, and clicking it adds a checkmark to the box (or a filled-in square; a checkmark and a filled-in square mean the exact same thing anywhere else on Earth), they have this "two real states plus an illusory state, with the real 'off' state looking exactly like what would be an 'on' state anywhere else, and the real 'on' state requiring two clicks in a row, unlike anywhere else" nonsense. So of course people are going to wonder what the hell is going on.

MaximRecoil, Aug 21, 2015
  11. AvSion Win User
    I just want to say that my read-only problem suddenly disappeared after a day or two, and I was again able to access my files. Don't ask me why! Maybe the fact that I used the "control userpassword2" ?

AvSion, Aug 21, 2015
  12. snacdaws Win User
    Ya I'm not waiting for it to just go away
    I'm taking immediate action

snacdaws, Aug 22, 2015
  13. Stokkers Win User

Unfortunately, not ALL of us are as clued up as you are. I have been trying to sort this problem out ever since I upgraded to Win 10 from 8.1. It has got so annoying, that I have reverted back to 8.1 on my laptop. My other PC is OK as that was a clean boot. If 8 hadn't come with this machine, with an upgrade to 8.1, I would revert back.

Unfortunately, as with many of your readers, Logicearth, a lot of the jargon means not a lot! Now, give me the inside of a Radio or Radar set, and I would probably lose you. I often try these suggestions, only to find that afer step 2 or 3, I don't appear to see what I should be looking for.

Now! Come on and be a bit more helpful to us numpties (probably in your book) what to do step by step and do NOT assume we know what the Hell you are refering to. Remember the old say, 'A picture replaces a thousand words!

I have tried severeal methods from different MVPs and all seem to be different. So ------------ looks like I will have to keep on trying.

Stokkers, Sep 7, 2015
  14. AvSion Win User
    Try running "control userpassword2" and then setting your personal account as also having administrator status. After doing that, restart computer, and then see if you are able to read all your files as desired. This may be what worked for me, so I pass it on (even if I am not sure what worked) - because I am free of the read-only problem now. I have Windows 10, of course.

AvSion, Sep 7, 2015
  15. Stokkers Win User
    Thanks for your reply. How do I run "control userpassword2"? Not come across that one before.

Stokkers, Sep 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Can't unmark Read only from folder. - Similar Threads - Can't unmark Read

2. Read Only Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Read Only Folders: My folders have suddenly become marked as Read Only and I can't change it. In the Security tab all the permissions that have been allowed are checked, but grayed out. I haven't changed anything in regards to my system other than installing Windows updates. I'm running Windows...
  3. folders are read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folders are read only: hello, I'm on windows 10 pro and I cant seem to find a way to remove the read only, I've tried as admin, cmd, etc.if someone can help me would me appreciated !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folders-are-read-only/7f8f773d-718c-42cf-835b-bffa74e59326
  4. folders are read only

folders are read only: hello, I'm on windows 10 pro and I cant seem to find a way to remove the read only, I've tried as admin, cmd, etc.if someone can help me would me appreciated !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folders-are-read-only/7f8f773d-718c-42cf-835b-bffa74e59326
  5. Can't Remove "READ ONLY" Attribute Setting from Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Remove "READ ONLY" Attribute Setting from Folder: For some reason, a folder with some important data I have stored is sett as "Read Only." In the Security settings, permission is given to every user to modify the files and such, which is something I'm trying to do with a QGIS project I'm working on. For whatever reason, it...
  6. Can't Remove "READ ONLY" Attribute Setting from Folder

Can't Remove "READ ONLY" Attribute Setting from Folder: For some reason, a folder with some important data I have stored is sett as "Read Only." In the Security settings, permission is given to every user to modify the files and such, which is something I'm trying to do with a QGIS project I'm working on. For whatever reason, it...
  7. Read only folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Read only folders: Hi I am using windows 10 Home addition. And I am facing two problems. 1. My folders in laptop has become read-only. I have tried to un-check read-only from properties, and as well as from CMD prompt window by using Attrib -R +S\ command. But still no luck. for your...
  8. Can't remove read-only from folders

Can't remove read-only from folders: How to remove read-only from folders. All searched helps don't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-remove-read-only-from-folders/aea3e09c-34ed-4f11-a009-ab70939d8b66
  9. Read-only folders

Read-only folders: All folders on both computers on my home network have become read-only; the files within them are not showing as read-only, but cannot be amended due to the folder permissions. I have tried the solutions referenced on line using security permissions, allowing inheritance etc....
  10. Can't disable Read-Only on folders

Can't disable Read-Only on folders: When I try to disable Read-Only it just keep undoing my action I'v treid every solution from here:https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-folder-keeps-reverting-to-read-only-on-windows-10/ I really don't know what to do....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unmarking read-only not working

2. cannot unmark read onlu

3. how to unmark folders that say read only