Windows 10: Can't unpin excel jump list file from the start menu

Discus and support Can't unpin excel jump list file from the start menu in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; There's nothing there that links those shortcuts to the jumplist for the app that opens them, that the job of the files in the AutomaticDestinations... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by madmax2, Apr 5, 2018.

1. madmax2 Win User

Can't unpin excel jump list file from the start menu

So what is the purpose of the recent items folder?
    Where are those shortcut files, folders used?

madmax2, Apr 5, 2018
  2. madmax2 Win User

I got excel pin to my start menu
    and also some jump list files

e.g.

ABC.xls

But when I tried to unpin it, it will not unpin.

I have also tried to delete the file and then click on that file in the jumplist so it prompts me to delete the short cut
    but that does not work either.

:)

madmax2, Apr 21, 2018
  3. JediSQL Win User
    Start Apps not in Most Used - Windows 10

I experimented. I made a fresh install of Windows 10 1511 with Office 2016. I used Excel several times without it its icon pinned to the Start Menu, and its icon appeared in the "Most used" list with a jump list. I right clicked the icon and chose "Pin
    to Start" and the "Most used" icon immediately disappeared. When I right clicked the Excel tile in Start Menu and chose "Unpin from Start," the icon immediately reappeared in the "Most used" list.

I could not do this experiment on my main computer, because a different problem had caused my "Excel 2016" icon to permanently and irreversibly disappear from the "All apps" list in Start Menu.

BTW, I did have "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar" turned on.

Moderator, please mark this as the answer.

JediSQL, Apr 21, 2018
  4. Can't unpin excel jump list file from the start menu

On upgrade to Windows 10 1607, jump list arrows no longer appear on start menu items

Jump lists are turned on in settings, but they only appear in items on the taskbar. Jump list arrows do not appear next to "most used" apps in the Start menu. This is a major annoyance, because I like to launch my Excel and Word files from the start menu,
    and now the jump lists are only usable in the taskbar, which means I have to pin a bunch of stuff to the taskbar to have jump lists.

Is there a simple way to get jump lists active again on the Start menu?

R. Hansen_690, Apr 21, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    The same jumplist shows wherever you right-click on Excel (or any other app that has a jumplist) be that on a tile in Start, pinned to the taskbar or in Start's 'all apps' list.

Right-click on any file name in the jumplist (like your ABC.xls) and you should see options to 'Pin to this list' and 'Remove from this list'. If the file is pinned to the list, you have to unpin it first before you can remove it from the list.

Can't unpin  excel jump list file from the start menu [​IMG]

Can't unpin  excel jump list file from the start menu [​IMG]

*Arrow Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

If that isn't working for you, then it sounds like you'll need to reset the recent items that jumplists show. This will reset ALL jumplists, not just the Excel one, so only reset it if nothing else works.

*Arrow Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10

6. madmax2 Win User
    Thanks.

Solution 1, I already tried (prior to making this thread) to unpin and it didn't work.

Solution 2, I used the batch file to clear the recent items and it works.
    It got rid of the trouble jumplist file.

The biggest downside is all my pin items / quick access / jumplists are gone.

madmax2, Apr 24, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    Jumplists can sometimes get corrupted, the only practical solution is to delete them, I'm afraid *Sad

All Jumplists are held in...
    C:\Users\<user-name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
    ...and in theory you just need to delete the corrupt one(s), but it's an almost impossible task to identify which one that is, they all have cryptic names like: 5f7b5f1e01b83767.automaticDestinations-ms

Best to clear them all in case more than one is corrupt.

8. madmax2 Win User

Yeah if I look into this folder I can see the cryptic names.

How does that differ to the folder one level above ie. C:\Users\[redacted]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent?
    In this folder I can clearly see all the files and folder's names

The AutomaticDestinations folder is hidden if we browse the Recent Items folder
    Is there any other hidden folders in there?

Yeah the price to pay to get rid of that one corrupt jumplist is quite high.

I now need to repin all my fav folders, quick access and files which is time consuming.
    Not sure if it is worth the price to do it again.

Microsoft needs to fix this bug.

madmax2, Apr 24, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    There's nothing there that links those shortcuts to the jumplist for the app that opens them, that the job of the files in the AutomaticDestinations folder.

Thema:

1. Can't unpin excel jump list file from the start menu - Similar Threads - Can't unpin excel

2. A couple of Excel files will not show up in jump list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A couple of Excel files will not show up in jump list: New laptop only 2 weeks old with Windows 11 running... I have a handful of Excel files that I use regularly and have had them pinned in my taskbar Jump List for years previous laptop was running windows 10 and now on the new laptop, a couple of those Excel files that will not...
  3. A couple of Excel files will not show up in jump list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A couple of Excel files will not show up in jump list: New laptop only 2 weeks old with Windows 11 running... I have a handful of Excel files that I use regularly and have had them pinned in my taskbar Jump List for years previous laptop was running windows 10 and now on the new laptop, a couple of those Excel files that will not...
  4. Unpin tiles from Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unpin tiles from Start menu: Hi, I have a question How can I unpin all tiles from the Start Menu using a batch script or registry editor in Windows 10 20H2 175931
  5. unpin start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    unpin start menu: i tried to reinstall my browser (firefox) so i uninstalled it but i can't unpin the shortcut i have in my start menu what's the solution? https://i.postimg.cc/5jc0DFvM/2.png forgot to add that when i click on it, nothing happens submitted by /u/djindjer [link]...
  6. Cannot unpin an Excel file from the Taskbar

Cannot unpin an Excel file from the Taskbar: Long ago I pinned an Excel file to the Windows 10 taskbar. This means that if I right click on the Excel icon, which is also pinned to the taskbar, a pop-up list of file names appears with the pinned file at the top. The pinned file has an "Unpin from this list" icon beside...
  7. Can't add document to Excel jump list

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Can't add document to Excel jump list: I am no longer able to add a new pinned Excel document to the Excel jump list on the Taskbar. I can remove existing items from the jump list, but when I try to pin a new item to it my request is ignored. I can manage my MS Word jump list without any problems. I've tried using...
  8. Can't unpin from start menu

Can't unpin from start menu: A few months ago, I could unpin from start, but now when I unpin something, it comes back every time I shut down my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-unpin-from-start-menu/84d8eb39-c74d-45d0-b093-e167399f8d17
  9. Unable to copy file from Excel jump list

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Unable to copy file from Excel jump list: Hi, With Win7 I used to be able to copy a recent or pinned file from any MS Office jump list by right clicking and selecting Copy from the context menu For Win 10 the menu is still there but when you r/c the file it doesn't appear to be in focus and consequently nothing is...
  10. Unpinning apps from the Start Menu ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Unpinning apps from the Start Menu ?: So, am I just stupid or when I right click an app and choose "Unpin from Start" the app is still in the Start Menu and works no problem, am I just missing something or there is no way to get rid of pinned apps ? Also I read somewhere that when you right click a blank space...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shortcut to unpin in excel

2. cant unpin from start

3. cant get rid of pinned excel

4. unpin from excel list,
  5. cant remove excel from start menu,
  6. unable to unpin from list,
  7. nu vot,
  8. Excel 365 jump list corrupted,
  9. cannot unpin from jump list,
  10. windows 10 excel 2016 unable to unpin,
  11. how to unpin files in excel,