Windows 10: Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

Discus and support Can't unpin/pin items in start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I've been using windows 10 for some time and I didn't have any problems until now, idk when the problem appeared or what caused it. I wanted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Master, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Master Win User

Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

Hi,

I've been using windows 10 for some time and I didn't have any problems until now,
    idk when the problem appeared or what caused it.
    I wanted to uninstall a program that I wasn't using, and it was pinned to my start menu tile,
    and I wanted to put something in that empty space, and for some reason I don't see any option to remove or add a tile.

Here is a picture of my issue Windows 10 Problem - Album on Imgur

I updated to the latest update but it didn't help, I searched some fixes,
    for example : using powershell, scanning for corruption (sfc /scannow)
    I saw a post saying that Kaspersky causes problems with the start menu, so that may be the cause. I once had Kaspersky installed but it was uninstalled months ago.

Thanks to anyone who has a suggestion.

:)

Master, Oct 7, 2016
  2. C.R.Akita Win User

undoing pinned start folder

Right clicking a folder or drive in file explorer gives the option of pinning it to the start menu. Did that with a mapped drive where I keep photos. Now I have all the photos and subfolders pinned to my start menu. Other than unpinning item by item,
    is there a way to undo the whole thing or, alternately, how can multiple items be selected in the start menu so that multiples could be unpinned at once?

C.R.Akita, Oct 7, 2016
  3. Scott76_ Win User
    OneDrive is showing up twice in Start Menu after Anniversary Update. How do I remove the duplicate?

It's not pinned to the start, pinning things to the start menu sticks them to the right with the tiles. If I right click they have the option to "pin to the start" so I can't unpin.

Both do work though.

Scott76_, Oct 7, 2016
  4. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

Master,

Welcome to the forum!

Do you know the name of the executable file associated with the dead tile?

If so, check the Program Files directory and change the name of the executable, like whatever.exe to what.exe, and see if Windows releases the association between the start menu tile and the corrupted file.

cottonball, Oct 8, 2016
  5. Master Win User
    I appreciate your sugestion but it didn't work.

Master, Oct 8, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    @Master
    See if you can access the option from within the Applications folder:
    type shell:appsfolder into a 'Run' box and press enter, locate a particular item to see if you can Pin/Unpin it from there.

Can't unpin/pin items in start menu [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 8, 2016
  7. Master Win User
    I tried and I still didn't have an option to pin/unpin anything.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll just wait for an update and see if it fixes it, if not I'll rollback to an earlier version of the update.

Master, Oct 9, 2016
  8. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

Master,

Looking again at your question and the capture you posted, maybe I am misunderstanding what you want to accomplish.

Now it is not, so you have an empty space.

If you left click the empty space, nothing happens. You do not get the option to remove or add a tile. That is happening to me also, I have no options for an empty space.

If I have still misunderstood your inquiry, take a look at the suggestions posted by PaulC_1:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...6-0aff7cdab6c8

He has two postings that maybe will help you with the issue, one of which is a Registry modification.

cottonball, Oct 9, 2016
  9. Master Win User
    My problem is that there's an empty space in my start menu and I can't put something in that spot,
    I looked at the link and tried using the registry method but it didn't..
    But I still appreciate the effort.

Master, Oct 10, 2016
  10. Master,

Can you drag and drop the People tilt located below the empty space, into the empty space? Or, use any other tile, if you wish.

(Tap (press) and hold on to the tile to select it, drag it to a new position, and then release your finger or stylus.)

cottonball, Oct 10, 2016
  11. Master Win User
    I can't , the tiles won't move.

Later I'll use a windows 10 boot disk and try to fix the corrupt/missing files.

Master, Oct 11, 2016
  12. Master,

Since your Windows 10 can boot, have you tried running System File Checker to check for system file corruption?

To run it:
    Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, then select: Command Prompt (Admin)

At the Command Prompt type in the following: sfc /scannow
    (Note the space between "sfc" and "/")
    Press: Enter

It will run for a while...

cottonball, Oct 12, 2016
  13. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

Master,

Just saw that you ran sfc /scannow already. Did you try running it in Safe Mode?

Have you tried to run the System Restore tool to restore your Windows operating system files to an earlier state? This may fix system corruption problems if the operating system wasn’t damaged at that earlier point.

cottonball, Oct 12, 2016
  14. Master Win User
    Tried sfc /scanow in safe mode, it didn't work. And I don't have a restore point..

Master, Oct 12, 2016
  15. Are you familiar with "The Ten Commandments"?
    Well, in the computer world, there is an Eleventh commandment.

It is, "Thou shalt not operate any PC without having System Restore turned ON!".

Being a good little boy who always follows the rules, System Restore is one of the (first) things I make sure is running when I set up a new PC, or just install a new OS on an existing PC. I even go one step further..... I run a script in my Startup folder that forces a new Restore Point every time I boot up my PC (daily). So when something gets all wonky with Windows I can go back a day or two, to a time when everything was working correctly. I've been doing that since the XP days. Even Windows ME, which many people hated, would make a new Restore Point, on every bootup. "ON" was the default setting in ME.
    But in ME, the restore points would build up till the HD was full.

In the more recent versions of System Restore, you can also select how much of your HD free space that you want to donate to the storage of Restore Points, before they start dropping off into the old Bit Bucket. I usually set mine to 25%.

So when ever I see that someone is having a new problem with Windows and they say, "I don't have a restore point" I just sit here shaking my head and saying "Why? Why? Why?".

Well, Good Luck!

*Cool

TechnoMage, Oct 12, 2016
Thema:

Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

1. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu - Similar Threads - Can't unpin pin

2. unpin start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    unpin start menu: i tried to reinstall my browser (firefox) so i uninstalled it but i can't unpin the shortcut i have in my start menu what's the solution? https://i.postimg.cc/5jc0DFvM/2.png forgot to add that when i click on it, nothing happens submitted by /u/djindjer [link]...
  3. Start Menu Unpin items like Voice recorder

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Unpin items like Voice recorder: Is it possible to unpin items like Voice recorder, which I would like to keep but move the shortcut into my audio editing folder. I have some other programs like alienware update, why cant those be unpinned and are they located anywhere that I could move them to another...
  4. Can't unpin from start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't unpin from start menu: A few months ago, I could unpin from start, but now when I unpin something, it comes back every time I shut down my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-unpin-from-start-menu/84d8eb39-c74d-45d0-b093-e167399f8d17
  5. Start menu problem "pin and unpin to start"

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu problem "pin and unpin to start": Hi guys I work on win 10 pin to start & unpin to start was working normally and a few days ago i found that it's not exist anymore and when i perform a right click on a free space in start menu there's nothing happens [img] [img] [img] [img] 49409
  6. Can't change start menu setting, layout and pin/unpin malfunction.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't change start menu setting, layout and pin/unpin malfunction.: Windows 10 Pro 64bit - ver 1703 Hi, I have problem with start menu, setting and layout can not be changed (I could change them, but the setting won't effect and layout will be reset everytime) At first, the problem didn't present until I try to pin some *.exe files and...
  7. Item pinned to Start Menu is not visible

in Windows 10 Support
    Item pinned to Start Menu is not visible: I pinned Windows Update to my Start Menu. After some time, I noticed it was gone and tried to re-pin it. But when I right-clicked on the setting, all that showed up was "Unpin from Start." Selecting that option causes the dialog window to crash/close. As things stand, I...
  8. Unable to pin/unpin for start menu OR customize!

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to pin/unpin for start menu OR customize!: just done a fresh install of windows and i literately cant do anything that relates to pinning or tweaking the start menu. i was reading that there is a way to fix this via tiledatalayer ??? and followed some examples however there was no tiledatalayer folder present in...
  9. 'Pin to Start' and 'Unpin from Start" items in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    'Pin to Start' and 'Unpin from Start" items in Windows 10: How to: 'Pin to Start' and 'Unpin from Start" items in Windows 10 [img] Information You can pin to Start any apps, contacts (People app), folders, drives, homegroup, library, network, and OneDrive so you can open them quickly, and see updates on live tiles for modern apps...
  10. Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen?: Any of the items under games in this screen shot will not pin to my Start Screen? They will pin to my taskbar though. It's windows 10 Enterprise if that matters. I can right click and select Pin to Start, but nothing happens. Right click again and Pin To Start is still listed...