Windows 10: Can't update or use expired develop preview

Discus and support Can't update or use expired develop preview in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 build. One day out of nowhere, got error on boot stating that a component of the operating system has expired winload.efi. Any resolution I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ThreePeak, Mar 5, 2017.

1. ThreePeak Win User

Can't update or use expired develop preview

Windows 10 build. One day out of nowhere, got error on boot stating that a component of the operating system has expired winload.efi. Any resolution I could find always referenced tricking the OS by rolling back the system date in the bios, getting it to at least boot, then quickly updating the build. For over a week, I couldn't even get passed the first step. I would change the bios date, try to boot, and either get the same exact "your pc needs to be repaired" message as above, or one about "process1 initialization failed". I would get the second one instead after trying various things from forums in the windows 10 RE cmd prompt. Everything from chkdsk to sfc /scannow to dism commands and bootrec commands. Same result. Eventually, I think I found the work around. A post mentioning that a bootstat.dat removal or renaming may allow a boot. So I tried this, and TADA....I finally got the ******* to boot. Here's the thing: I can run some very basic functions and programs, but ANYTHING related to system and update in windows 10 fails with the exact same message always: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

I get this trying to open windows update, settings, command prompt, even trying to launch the windows setup.exe from a windows 10 dvd to try and upgrade. So I have access to the system, but I can't update the build, install/update windows via installer or even run any commands from prompt which basically leaves me crippled. The easy answer is that the system date is wrong. But in a classic damned if you do/don't...If I put the system date back to normal, i'm back to square one with the expired component winload.efi error

:)

ThreePeak, Mar 5, 2017
  2. Shae-lyn Win User

When my Windows Phone Ativ S could get an update?

Can't wait?

scan the store for a developer preview

I was using it til my update.

Shae-lyn, Mar 5, 2017
  3. WP 8.1 updating through preview for developers

According to WPCentral the windows phone 8.1 update for devs is coming on 14th April. I wanted to update my phone on 14th . I am not a developer, i use my phone personally.... I am little afraid that if my all data will be lost. You know i can't backup
    all the things .so i want to know that is updating through preview for developers is safe and will i get the full version or there might be some limitations in preview version. Did you guys have any problems by updating your phones through preview for developers.

rohitmohanta, Mar 5, 2017
  4. ThreePeak Win User

I should also add a little detail I expect to get asked about to save time. This is a dual boot desktop, 2 copies of windows 10 on seperate HDD. To answer the next obvious question of "If you have a working copy of windows 10, why do you care about the other one so much". The answer is that I have a LARGE amount of programs and tools installed that I don't want to loose access to. Either I no longer have access to the installer/missing license which takes re-install off the table, or I have alot of configuration and integration that would be a nightmare to start from scratch. And that's if by a miracle I can track down all the various directories. Although I have only the two OS, the pc holds partitions spanning 15+ years of hardware and versions of windows (Yes....I am cursing myself for not organizing and consolidating instead of just straight 1:1 copy)

If it came down to no other possible choice, I would accept a re-install if that meant I lost zero files but would loose some programs. But as it stands, I couldn't even launch the windows 10 dvd without that same error

ThreePeak, Mar 6, 2017
  5. ThreePeak Win User
    I also realized I haven't been here for a while and my system specs were for a wrong pc. Updated my system specs if anybody needs the data for the question. So again, I DO have access to at one of the windows 10 installs and do have install media, both dvd and usb based. So if any ideas revolve around replacing files, I will have access to the problem install directory. And assuming the usual first answers: Yes i've already tried running startup repair, system restore (claims there are no restore points although that shouldn't be the case), reset (says the disk is locked or gets a generic failed message with options to shutdown or go back to advanced options (re tools). bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /rebuildbcd. re-install obviously only gives the option for a clean install, which is a no go since I cannot loose the files and the other option won't run unless you trigger it from windows after boot. Trying to return to previous build just gives straight up failure message.

If there is an option whereby I could somehow transfer or backup the programs and deploy them on the different or new install, I'm game. I don't know if there is a way to transfer programs or image them in a way that they can be deployed again

ThreePeak, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't update or use expired develop preview - Similar Threads - Can't update expired

2. "your Developer's License has expired. To continue to use this App, please renew your...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "your Developer's License has expired. To continue to use this App, please renew your...: whenever I start my pc I get this popup instantly after I type my password, I have no idea what app it is referring too or how to remove this pop up and there is no option to turn it off. other posts have said its linked to Adobe XD, never used never installed so not that,...
  3. "your Developer's License has expired. To continue to use this App, please renew your...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "your Developer's License has expired. To continue to use this App, please renew your...: whenever I start my pc I get this popup instantly after I type my password, I have no idea what app it is referring too or how to remove this pop up and there is no option to turn it off. other posts have said its linked to Adobe XD, never used never installed so not that,...
  4. "your Developer's License has expired. To continue to use this App, please renew your...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Can't update Windows 11 developer insider

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't update Windows 11 developer insider: I can't update my Windows, I hasn't been able to update it for a long time, it has been like a month or something. When I try to update it. 1. It says I need to download. 2. When it's done downloading it comes up in a new window that my PC isn't compatible. "This PC can't be...
  6. Can't update Windows 11 developer insider

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't update Windows 11 developer insider: I can't update my Windows, I hasn't been able to update it for a long time, it has been like a month or something. When I try to update it. 1. It says I need to download. 2. When it's done downloading it comes up in a new window that my PC isn't compatible. "This PC can't be...
  7. Insider Preview Build About to Expire

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Insider Preview Build About to Expire: I am using an activated windows 2004 (OS Build 20226.1000) And recently I have started getting a message box informing that my insider build is about to expire on 2021/01/31 on every start. I checked for updates and there are none available. Can you tell me about what this...
  8. My Preview Build has expired

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Preview Build has expired: My Preview Build has expired in a laptop that has not been used for a while. Now I cannot get updates for that old build??? How can I get updates and continue using this PC?...
  9. For developers: Use developer features

in Windows 10 Customization
    For developers: Use developer features: I am trying to edit the use developer features section in the settings and I am trying to change them to sideload apps but I am unable to edit them and it says: *Some settings are hidden or managed by your organization. at the top and I don't know if that has anything to do...
  10. Announcing developer preview of AMP for email in Outlook.com

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing developer preview of AMP for email in Outlook.com: In March, we announced that we would have a preview to support AMP for email in Outlook.com by summer. Today, we are happy to announce that we have entered the developer preview phase. Support for the format has been rolled out but it is turned off by default. Any email...