Windows 10: Can't update to W10 Anniversary Update?

Discus and support Can't update to W10 Anniversary Update? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; PC is up to date, downloaded the anniversary update via windows update. PC restarts and acts like its installing and it goes back to build 1511?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by UCDHIUS, Aug 2, 2016.

1. UCDHIUS Win User

Can't update to W10 Anniversary Update?

PC is up to date, downloaded the anniversary update via windows update.

PC restarts and acts like its installing and it goes back to build 1511?

I tried downloading the manual installer and same thing, doesn't seem like anyone had this problem yet?

The manual installer capture below. (this is my 3rd try, 2 times with windows update and 1 time with the manual installer.)

It doesn't give me any errors so I don't know whats going on.

Thanks
    Can't update to W10 Anniversary Update? [​IMG]

:)

UCDHIUS, Aug 2, 2016
  2. vtdddd Win User

Can't turn on the Night Light option on W10 Anniversary?

I'm having an issue here guys... why can't I turn on the Night light option on W10 Anniversary? It's faded so I can't open it...

vtdddd, Aug 2, 2016
  3. What is the difference between CREATOR and ANNIVERSARY?

Hello:

On the MS website for downloading w10 iso file, there are two edition:

w10 Creators Update

w10 Anniversary Update

Each one include 3-option:

W10

W10 N

W10 Single Language

To download these FILES, what are the difference between "Creators" and "Anniversary"

and w10 and w10 N.

--Zhao

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

HonglinZhao, Aug 2, 2016
  4. UCDHIUS Win User

Tried using the media creation tool and now getting.

0x80073b92 - 0x20009

UCDHIUS, Aug 2, 2016
  5. It wouldn't be build 1511 but version 1511 being upgraded and updated to version 1607. If you are still running with last November's update and haven't been receiving regular updates you wouldn't have reached the 10586.494 version 1511 equal. You may have to consider either enabling the Get insider builds option to upgrade to one of the more recent builds first or simply plan a full clean install to get past the problem(s) being seen.

Here with the Insider 14385 the update simply didn't arrive already having one of the Redstone 1 builds running where the manual upgrade for the 14393.10 general update had to be performed manually. A second desktop already running the 14393.5 Insider build might also need a manual upgrade as well but still has involvement in the Insider Preview program. The second desktop continues to show itself as being updated while the build is still an Insider Preview release but not one seeing a fast expiration date being one of the Redstone 1 update builds.

To get the RS1 update to go on here over the 385 Insider build the windows.iso download by way of the updated just seen out Media Creation Tool note was mounted by a 3rd party freeware app(Virtual Clonedrive originally by Slystone now available at Redstone) where the upgrade to update took as well as the previous Insider builds had done so by way of the WU function.

Simply choosing the folder on a different partition or drive to store the ISO to as well as the free app you can mount and browse the iso file for starting up the setup.exe manually to work the update by upgrade to see if that will take. That would be one alternate to try to see if you can get past the error being seen before the last resort clean install action.

The differences between last fall's TH2 update and now this one are large enough to be cause for concern where seeing a newer Insider build go on now and then try the RS1 anniversary is the other dual upgrade option you can test. First be sure nothing such as your av software, firewall, or other 3rd party wares are in no way interfering with the update process.

Night Hawk, Aug 2, 2016
  6. UCDHIUS Win User
    Finally got it to go through, searched up the error and a few people said to remove any external drives and to disable your antivirus before the PC restarts. Did that and it finally went through.

UCDHIUS, Aug 2, 2016
  7. Some av softwares and having external drives, devices plugged in especially when performing a clean install will raise havoc at times! I found that out fast last year when not able to even run any upgrade type of install here until unplugging the second OS drive to be made default host/boot once 10 was on along with two other internal drives. Since then however updates by upgrade of 10 between the Threshold 2 and Insider builds haven't seen any repeat of that initial problem.

So I might have to suspect that your av program was the culprit Nothing else being ruled out however. Here the manual mounting of the iso download to run the setup manually ended up seeing great results on two separate machines. Unlike upgrading from one version to anything newer where problems are common place MS seems to have worked out the previous issues as far as going about seeing newer builds applied in 10.

Night Hawk, Aug 3, 2016
  8. robb213 Win User

Personally, it was the fact that I have a second boot drive. In particular, one of my other drives has 8.1 on it. The moment I disabled the drive to install the update, it went without a hitch.

robb213, Aug 3, 2016
  9. The reason for that is the 10 installer will get confused on just where to unpack the boot files and write the mbr info! When I was trying to upgrade a temp 7 install a year ago the boot loader went onto the first of the two storage drives and later found other files on the second storage drive explaining why the initial attempts failed.

Once 10 is on however the WU updates as well as simply mounting an iso image file never presented any additional problem since the boot sector on the correct drive was no longer the issue. The BT and WS folders are another item then seen by the 10 installer as present and end up being overwritten with the newer files. With a clean install however those are wiped in favor of the new.

I should also mention another item noting the larger then 8gb flash drives previously used for the 4 in 1 projects of combining both editions with both 32bit/64bit flavors worked on with Insider builds after being wiped clean failed to see new media created using the MC Tool. Apparently the tool won't recognize drives 8gb or larger for some reason? and saw an error message. The older iso program previously used on 10 now simply won't work besides wiping flash drives clean and made raw as well leaving a manual format with copy+paste and extraction from iso options later seeing the flash drives made bootable by other means.

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't update to W10 Anniversary Update? - Similar Threads - Can't update W10

2. Anniversary Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary Update?: How do I upgrade from Win10 Home to the Anniversary ver? I am currently at the 2004 ver, I understand Anniversary was released in 2006. Do all subsequent updates carry the anniversary update and its features? If not, how would I go about upgrading to it? Thank you. 157468
  3. Can't update Windows 10 Anniversary

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't update Windows 10 Anniversary: I recently encountered a virus right around the time Windows 10 was updated to Windows 10 Anniversary. I had originally upgraded my Windows 8.0 to Windows 10 (beta), but my Activation code didn't work so I had to get windows to help me, and that's when Windows 10 Anniversary...
  4. Need activation key to update to Anniversary Upgrade W10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need activation key to update to Anniversary Upgrade W10: I never received a activation/product key for my version of W10 which was downloaded from the official Microsoft website over a year ago. How can I proceed to upgrade to the latest Anniversary update as I don`t have the required key/code. Thanks in advance. 58473
  5. Can't sign in after the Anniversary update

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't sign in after the Anniversary update: The screen goes black then returns me to sign in... 58388
  6. W10 Anniversary update - can't get ethernet at 1Gbps gives 100Mbps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 Anniversary update - can't get ethernet at 1Gbps gives 100Mbps: Hi there My Lan connection seems to report 100Mbps (Ethernet) instead of 1Gbps. This is after upgrade to new W10 anniversary edition. [img] My Laptop wifi can do better at 400 Mbps !!!! Cheers Jimbo 58448
  7. Update (Anniversary?) can't reboot; device missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Update (Anniversary?) can't reboot; device missing: Windows 10 x64 build 10240 on an old HP Envy desktop. Every morning when I look at the computer it has a cyan screen saying: Code: Recovery There was a problem with a device connected to your PC An unexpected I/O error has occurred Error code 0x000000e9[/quote] If I turn...
  8. Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update: How can I tell if I have received the "Anniversary Update"? 60115
  9. Can't get laptop to upgrade to Anniversary Update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't get laptop to upgrade to Anniversary Update.: OK so I have an Asus Zenbook Prime(UX31A) Ultrabook. It was purchased in 2013 and came with Windows 8 x64 Pro installed. The specs are … Intel i7, 256gig SSD drive, 4gig memory. I’ve since updated it to 8.1, then ultimately to Windows 10 Pro TH2 (x64). That said, I had...
  10. W10 Anniversary Update - delete windows.old directory?

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Anniversary Update - delete windows.old directory?: One me time! After installing the Anniversary Update I cannot delete the "windows.old" folder. I have gone through the routine of System Settings>Storage>This PC>Temporary Files and checked the Previous Version of Windows. That did the job and cleared out everything except a...