Windows 10: Can't update / upgrade / Windows 10

Discus and support Can't update / upgrade / Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I'm using Windows 10 x64 Pro, 10.0.0.14393 I tried many times to upgrade to the latest build but everytime i receive this error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sinx, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Sinx Win User

Can't update / upgrade / Windows 10

Hello everyone,
    I'm using Windows 10 x64 Pro, 10.0.0.14393
    I tried many times to upgrade to the latest build but everytime i receive this error message
    BIOS has the latest update vers, i disabled the Turbo CPU, i unplugged all the peripherals i have, except the mouse and keyboard, and even all the HDD / SSD, except the one with the OS
    What else should i try, guys ?
    Any advices are welcome, thank you

:)

2. Windows10 upgrade

windows 10 free upgrade, Jun 24, 2017
  3. Windows 10 haven't updated to version 1511 --- How to find product key

I haven't run the ISO disk as of yet, I want the current product key in hand, on a post it note, prior to doing that, not interested in MS bullS**T about it not being needed. 2 hours online with tech support and they can't cope with the question of how
    can the current product key be accessed in windows 10.

I've never owned a Apple product, but I can never see buying or having another MS product in my household after this.

NOT THE ONLY ONE

Windows 10 update fail, Jun 24, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, please post a screenshot of your Disk Management
    (Windows key + X, click Disk Management)
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon.

That said, the problem is most likely related to drivers.

Please see:
    The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT - Microsoft Community
    ref.
    mcupdate_genuineintel.dll
    Noting the Gigabyte reference. (Note: the date needs checking as this is an older post).

Error 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 When Upgrading to Build 10162 Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    - again, Gigabyte references here

Fix We Couldn’t Install Windows 10 Error (0XC1900101 – 0x20017) While Installing Windows 10 - Technical Notes
    - a more general overview

Fix - gHacks Tech News
    - a drive encryption problem

0xC1900101 - 0x2000A - Error Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    - interfering old upgrade files

There are plenty of threads on this issue on the forum if you search for
    0x01900101 - 0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation
    which may offer more.

dalchina, Jun 24, 2017
  5. jl2509 Win User
    Hi

Have a read of this forum. There is a lot of information relating to issues that other users have overcome and in some cases, are still facing issues.

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT - Microsoft Community

There appears to be a consensus forming around USB devices, Backup drives etc.

You could try disconnecting everything except the installation Drive to remove hardware issues from possible causes.

Hope this helps

jl2509, Jun 24, 2017
  6. Sinx Win User
    I would try to install Windows 10, again, with the latest build, but i have a lot of installed games on the E partition
    If i do a fresh install, do i have to reinstall all the games, again ?

7. jl2509 Win User
    Unfortunately, Yes.
    If you have an old hard drive handy, maybe you could try to reinstall to that hard drive which would rule out any hardware issues before you delete you existing hard drive.
    If you get the same stop errors, then there is a little more trouble shooting to be performed

If you try installing to a new Hard Drive, ensure all partitions are deleted first, Windows will then format as required.
    tips here: How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10, the Easy Way

Also, remove any other devices, hard drives, CD/DVD drives, USB Devices etc that may cause issues during install.

Hope this helps

jl2509, Jun 24, 2017
  8. Sinx Win User

I have an older HDD, i dont use it anymore
    Should i try to install Windows 10, on it ?
    If so, should i remove all the SSD / HDD i have now ?

9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, it depends what you want to do. If you can quite readily rebuild your installation, programs, settings, data... in a reasonable time, then by all means do a fresh install.

On the other hand, that error message is relatively common and some good ideas to follow up.

It really is your choice which way to go.

Another angle is this: a few people experience real difficulty with the creator's build, so a fresh install would let you see how it performs.

If you choose to upgrade your existing OS (or try to) I would advise creating a disk image first, so you can rescue yourself from difficulties. (We strongly and repeatedly recommend the routine use of disk imaging e.g. Macrium Reflect (free).

Certainly remove your SSD as it has Windows on it.

If you are confident none of your other disks have any Windows partitions (EFI, Recovery...) on them (which is one reason why I asked for the Disk Management screenshot) then you can leave them in.

Naturally if you use a HDD your boot will be slower.

Laplink PCMover (for a 1 off fee) transfers programs from one OS to another. Easeus also provide such a program.

dalchina, Jun 24, 2017
  10. Benny483 Win User
    I bought a laptop yesterday - Asus fx553vd dm483 and they gave me it with an evaluation copy of enterprise edition which is activated for 90 days. Can i install any other version of windows on it ?? Will it cause any problems or not??

Benny483, Jun 25, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    You might want to look in the thread that you started asking the same question. Purposely double posting is bad etiquette. If you accidentally double posted, we'll forgive you. *Group hug

NavyLCDR, Jun 25, 2017
  12. Benny483 Win User
    I mainly wanted to ask that whether the evaluation copy will produce some error or its ok with me installing with Pro edition??

Benny483, Jun 25, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

You can replace the Enterprise evaluation edition with a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, no problem.

NavyLCDR, Jun 25, 2017
  14. Benny483 Win User
    I mainly wanted to ask that whether the evaluation copy will produce some error or its ok with me installing with Pro edition??

Benny483, Jun 25, 2017
  15. Benny483 Win User
    Thankss

Benny483, Jun 25, 2017
Thema:

1. Can't update / upgrade / Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't update upgrade

2. I can't update windows 10 or upgrade to windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't update windows 10 or upgrade to windows 11.: I have tried dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and sfc /scannow but sfc /scannow said Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service., I tried downloading and installing the installation media, the update assistant, as well as windows update from the...
  3. I can't update windows 10 or upgrade to windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't update windows 10 or upgrade to windows 11.: I have tried dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and sfc /scannow but sfc /scannow said Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service., I tried downloading and installing the installation media, the update assistant, as well as windows update from the...
  4. I can't update windows 10 or upgrade to windows 11.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't Upgrade to Windows 10

Can't Upgrade to Windows 10: Hello, I have an Inspiron 5558 that had multiple issues so I did a factory reset hoping that it would fix whatever was wrong with it. Windows 8.1 was no longer activated, so I purchased a key for Windows 10, but now I am unable to upgrade. The installation seems to go well,...
  6. Can't Upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Upgrade to Windows 10: Hello, I have an Inspiron 5558 that had multiple issues so I did a factory reset hoping that it would fix whatever was wrong with it. Windows 8.1 was no longer activated, so I purchased a key for Windows 10, but now I am unable to upgrade. The installation seems to go well,...
  7. Can't Upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can't upgrade windows 10

Can't upgrade windows 10: I am not able to upgrade windows 10 getting error code 0xc1900101-0x2000c https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-upgrade-windows-10/292944a7-6d9f-4c1e-9ca0-2c8efc203a73
  9. Can't upgrade to Windows 10

Can't upgrade to Windows 10: Hello I've been trying to upgrade my Win 7 to Win 10 for the last 3 days without success. Here's my system components AMD FX 6300 Six Core Processor RAM 8 GB GPU Nvidia GeForce 750 GTX Ti HDD WD 1TB Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1 and what I've tried so far: - Upgrade...
  10. Can't Upgrade to Windows 10!

Can't Upgrade to Windows 10!: Hi, I decided to upgrade my Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10 which seemed would be easy after reading all the advertising. WRONG. My surface pro is 128 gb and will only be one year old at Christmas. I made sure the updates were up to date and hit the UPGRADE button. The first...