Windows 10: Can't update

Discus and support Can't update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; No Windows 10 for me right now. It says my peocessor's not up to spec. AMD Athlon 64. This is what it tells me. [img] Is there anything I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DrewS75, Aug 1, 2015.

1. DrewS75 Win User

Can't update

No Windows 10 for me right now. It says my peocessor's not up to spec. AMD Athlon 64.

This is what it tells me.

Can't update [​IMG]

Is there anything I can do short of updating hardware?

I came across this doing a quick Google search for CompareExchange128.

http://www.dirkstrauss.com/how-to/vi...r#.Vb031pyCOK3

:)

DrewS75, Aug 1, 2015

2. We couldn't connect to the update service... Windows 10 Pro Build 10586

Ended up using third-party software that tweaks Windows to fix all of the typical issues with the Windows Update:

- completely fixed my other machine which runs Windows 7,

- for this Windows 10 build, fixed most of the issues, but several updates, while downloaded, could not install - restart was required, but the the restart button would not work (and powering off did not install). Figured this one out that by turning off
    the fast startup option within Power Options.

However, that still left one piece de resistance - namely "Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3106246) - Error 0x80070643". It is downloaded, but for some reason does not install no matter what. I could leave it be, but am concerned
    that the error will lead into another series of failed updates. Please advise.

Can't believe this, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Windows update_1900101 Windows 10

I haven't been able to install Windows 10 due to the following error: C1900101-20017. Any idea what this is and does it mean I'm out of luck?

Windows update-1900101, Aug 1, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

Can't update

This may be more appropriate:

New Windows 8.1 requirements strand some users on Windows 8 | PCWorld

I'm not knowledgeable about this issue, but I believe that your CPU isn't supported by Windows 8.1 or 10. That probably seems odd because it's much more powerful than the minimum requirement for 10, and a lot of the 64 bit instructions in Windows are referred to as AMD64 ones, but I guess that Intel (and the newer AMD CPUs) added instructions that aren't present in your chip.

I don't know whether it'd be fixable with a CPU swap. I doubt that I'd even try for a PC that old (more than 10 years' I'd guess).

bobkn, Aug 2, 2015
  5. DrewS75 Win User
    Thanks bobkn. In doing other searches, I see plenty simply saying my processor doesn't meet the requirements. I'm even seeing that was also an issue for people trying to upgrade to Windows 8.1. You're right, the hardware is at least 10 years old (my video card is an nVidia GeForce 7600 GS AGP card). I was hoping I could make the jump to Windows 10 as it is.

DrewS75, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't update

1. Can't update - Similar Threads - Can't update

2. How to fix this ? can't install update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix this ? can't install update: Cant finish downloading the new update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-this-cant-install-update/008a5fc4-47ba-4855-9078-95d49e588e18
  3. How to fix this ? can't install update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix this ? can't install update: Cant finish downloading the new update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-this-cant-install-update/008a5fc4-47ba-4855-9078-95d49e588e18
  4. Since update, i can't sign in to my account on PC

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Since update, i can't sign in to my account on PC: Please could you assistWindows has updated overnight on my PC and is asking me to sign in to verify. Every time i try to sign in to my account i just get a blank white sign in box with nowhere to enter details. I haven't forgotten my account or password so don't need these...
  5. Since update, i can't sign in to my account on PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Since update, i can't sign in to my account on PC: Please could you assistWindows has updated overnight on my PC and is asking me to sign in to verify. Every time i try to sign in to my account i just get a blank white sign in box with nowhere to enter details. I haven't forgotten my account or password so don't need these...
  6. Since update, i can't sign in to my account on PC

7. Can't update/repair Windows 11 22H2 to 23H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't update/repair Windows 11 22H2 to 23H2: Trying to resolve a number of issues with my son's computer, successfully having some bad RAM replaced by the manufacturer. There are a number of things off with windows, such as not being able to get msconfig to run, microsoft store not opening, and windows update not...
  8. Can't update/repair Windows 11 22H2 to 23H2

Can't update/repair Windows 11 22H2 to 23H2: Trying to resolve a number of issues with my son's computer, successfully having some bad RAM replaced by the manufacturer. There are a number of things off with windows, such as not being able to get msconfig to run, microsoft store not opening, and windows update not...
  9. I do not have xbox but keep getting requests to update it and can't get to support from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I do not have xbox but keep getting requests to update it and can't get to support from...: I do not have xbox but keep getting requests to update it. I tried to uninstall Xbox but it doesn't exist on my computer. I don't want it and would like to stop the constant update notifications....
  10. I do not have xbox but keep getting requests to update it and can't get to support from...

I do not have xbox but keep getting requests to update it and can't get to support from...: I do not have xbox but keep getting requests to update it. I tried to uninstall Xbox but it doesn't exist on my computer. I don't want it and would like to stop the constant update notifications....