Windows 10: Can't Upgrade to 1511

Discus and support Can't Upgrade to 1511 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Thanks for the thread on this. So I tried the command prompt and the only option I have is UEFI firmaware settings or turn off Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Ryantw, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Ryantw Win User

Can't Upgrade to 1511

Thanks for the thread on this. So I tried the command prompt and the only option I have is UEFI firmaware settings or turn off

Ryantw, Jul 21, 2016
  2. f14tomcat Win User

Simrick, this is from the previous thread. I had asked him to post the bcdedit data.

Windows 10 fails to update - Page 11 - Windows 10 Forums

The results:

bcddata.txt says
    The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
    The requested system device cannot be found.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does not look good.

If Navy's instructions for bcdedit fixes don't fly, he may need the ISO from whatever version he is on (still don't know that from WINVER), boot it to try a repair boot records.

f14tomcat, Jul 21, 2016
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    Ryan, are you running the command prompt for Administrator or normal UN-elevated user? Lots of commands will fail if they are not run as Administrator. The top line of your command window (the top border) should look like this:

Can't Upgrade to 1511 [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Jul 21, 2016
  4. Ryantw Win User

Can't Upgrade to 1511

yep Im running the admin prompt, my version is win 10 build 10240.

Ryantw, Jul 21, 2016
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Ryan, did you run these commands from post #7?

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    exit

f14tomcat, Jul 21, 2016
  6. Ryantw Win User
    under advanced options I only have UEFI firmware settings as an option or turn off. can those be run just from an admin command prompt or only from booting into a command prompt.

Ryantw, Jul 21, 2016
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    I believe you need to be booted in safe mode with a command prompt. You can try. The worse that can happen is it won't work!

I think the reason you only have the UEFI option is because it can't find the Recovery partition.

With that in mind, next question.... do you have the 10240 ISO file? And do you have a blank DVD and/or Thumb drive?

f14tomcat, Jul 21, 2016
  8. Ryantw Win User

Can't Upgrade to 1511

i made a recovery usb when I initially got this laptop setup so that should be from the 10240 build. I dont have the 10240 iso.

Ryantw, Jul 21, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    TC - I am thinking his System partition is either corrupt or too small (or both). With those partitions he has, that looks to me to be the problem. I am thinking......I have resolved partition problems for others by doing this: (not explicit instructions, just general so Ryantw don't follow this):

Boot to Kyhi's recovery media, use Macrium
    Create a verified image of the hard drive completely (a fall back)
    Clean install W10 on an unallocated disk (creates proper partitions-doesn't matter which version)
    Boot to Kyhi's media again
    Open Macrium, drag C partition from the image over to the new C partition on the fresh install.

It's a bit of work, but would clean things up for him. Do you agree his partitions are the problem?

EDIT: This would give him a clean W10 install without any HP bloatware, or other programs that may have come with the machine. It would also wipe his HP recovery partition.

simrick, Jul 21, 2016
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    He has the HP Recovery thumb he made when he first got the machine. If he boots to that, will there be an option, similar to booting an ISO, to do the recovery of boot records? Not refresh all the way back to factory, just repair the boot records? I think it's right after the keyboard/language screen and accept eula and all that, at bottom left corner.

If not, use media creation tool to put 10240 on that thumb or another blank one, boot from it and fix the boot records.

f14tomcat, Jul 21, 2016
  11. Ryantw Win User
    ok I will give it a go and see what happens. thanks

Ryantw, Jul 21, 2016
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    Not sure what "give it a go" he's doing.... sounds like booting from the recovery thumb....

f14tomcat, Jul 21, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

Can't Upgrade to 1511

I don't know - I prefer not to use OEM recovery anything......*Wink

simrick, Jul 21, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    You may be right. *Smile
    Still, I think his system partition is too small, don't you?

EDIT:
    I think this should be 350-450MB, no?

Can't Upgrade to 1511 [​IMG]

simrick, Jul 21, 2016
  15. f14tomcat Win User
    I never could find the disk management screen so I don't know.

f14tomcat, Jul 21, 2016
Thema:

Can't Upgrade to 1511

1. Can't Upgrade to 1511 - Similar Threads - Can't Upgrade 1511

2. Cannot upgrade past 1511

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot upgrade past 1511: I have a Lenovo T400 laptop that runs a legitimate activated copy of Windows 7 Pro. I successfully upgraded it to Windows 10 1511 some time ago. It has all the updates to 1511 but cannot install the 1809 update. Any ideas? 139186
  3. Windows 1511 upgrade problem

Windows 1511 upgrade problem: Hi, I bought recently laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed on it. Last week I've tried to install 1511 upgrade, but it got stuck at about 23% so I decided to postpone it and to do this upgrade overnight since I heard that it takes lot of time. Now, however I keep getting this...
  4. Can't update to 1511

Can't update to 1511: I have an old Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop. 2.5 g of RAM. Intel DuoCore. Runs Win 10 without difficulty. Did all updates until 1511 and then won't update. Goes through the procedures and stops halfway through. Tried it many times. Ran SFC and it found no problems. Tried...
  5. Folders missing after upgrade to 1511

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders missing after upgrade to 1511: Hello, Windows 10 on my PC last night upgraded itself to 1511. This morning, I noticed that when I open File Explorer that under "My PC" the folders and files in "Documents" have all disappeared. However, the files are still there and I can retrieve individual files by...
  6. Use bootable USB to upgrade to 1511

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use bootable USB to upgrade to 1511: Okay so I couldn't get Windows Update to install the November update, so I downloaded the .ISO file and created a bootable USB drive. My question is can use the setup .exe in the thumb drive to do the upgrade? Or will this want to do a clean install? I just want the...
  7. Any reason to upgrade past 1511?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any reason to upgrade past 1511?: Updated Win7 Pro to Win10 6 months ago and Deferred the upgrades option All my programs run fine. I am not planning to play games or do 3D stuff I see 1607 had a few problems and 1703 is coming in a few months Thanks Gary 72898
  8. Is the 1511 upgrade worth it?

Is the 1511 upgrade worth it?: I have Windows 10 Home version. It continually fails to install the 1511 upgrade. I have already spent lots of time on this and am concerned that successfully upgrading will require an inordinate amount of time and effort. An HP support person told me that it is not...
  9. Problem upgrading to 1511

Problem upgrading to 1511: Hi, I successfully upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home a week or so ago but I used an ISO that I had successfully upgraded 2 other PCs with - turns out It was build 10240. When I upgraded it gave me the option to keep all my installed software and settings. I'm now...
  10. System unusable after "successful" 1511 (1115, 1511, whatever) upgrade

System unusable after "successful" 1511 (1115, 1511, whatever) upgrade: Be kind, I'm more than a little stressed at the moment... I did a stupid thing. When I upgraded all 5 computers here to Windows 10 several months ago, it went SO WELL I figured doing the November upgrade yesterday would be a snap. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Ran the...