Windows 10: Can't upgrade to an OEM version of Windows 10 Pro with product key

Discus and support Can't upgrade to an OEM version of Windows 10 Pro with product key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Scenario: Bought Win10 Home OEM for new computer build. Installed it and all of my requisite 3rd party software. Then find out that Home 10 does not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bradlymathews, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Can't upgrade to an OEM version of Windows 10 Pro with product key

Scenario: Bought Win10 Home OEM for new computer build. Installed it and all of my requisite 3rd party software. Then find out that Home 10 does not allow RDP connections. *cry Buy 10 Pro OEM for $128 (rather than pay $99 for an upgrade through the Windows store so I have a copy of Home on hand which you know will come in handy some day).

Try to put in the new product key to do the upgrade. Get error 0xC004F050.

Call Microsoft and find out that I need to do a clean install to get Windows 10 Pro. *Mad I forgot to ask if the problem was the original Home OEM or the new Pro OEM or the combination.

In the off chance that I could save some time, I tried to do un upgrade from the setup.exe on the disk. The options for keeping the existing files and programs were grayed out - only the clean install option was available. And it said it was going to do a clean install of Window 10 Home, rather than Pro, even though the disk was a Pro disk. Weird.

I found no mention of this anywhere on the web so I am mentioning it here and a couple of other places to maybe save someone else some grief.

- Brad

:)

bradlymathews, Oct 10, 2016

2. Trying to upgrade to Win 10 Pro

Thats because OEM Windows 10 Pro licenses can't perform upgrades. You will have to do the following first: Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro using the following default product key: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T Review instructions how to perform an Easy Upgrade
    using the default key: How to Perform an Easy Upgrade in Windows 10 How to upgrade to a higher edition of Windows 10 such as Pro or Enterprise After upgrading, proceed to enter the
    Windows 10 Pro OEM product key. Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click Next to Activate

Andre Da Costa, Oct 10, 2016
  3. Upgrading from Windows Home to Windows Pro

Default product key does not work, allowing me to do an upgrade to Windows PRO OEM edition on existing Windows Home install, and afterwards changing the product key to my paid version. I guess I'll need to reformat and do a completely new Windows Pro install
    with the OEM edition I have ... unless someone else has a way around this. Doesn't really seem right since I actually paid more for the OEM edition (by mistake) than I would have if I would have just bought the $99 upgrade version. I think the upgrade version
    even includes licenses for multiple machines.

glspence_043, Oct 10, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Can't upgrade to an OEM version of Windows 10 Pro with product key

Hi.
    Have you tried this?
    Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - Windows 10 Forums

It may work .

I'm thinking you'd be able to activate your W10 Pro install with your W10 Pro key after the upgrade.

simrick, Oct 10, 2016
  5. Yeah, that and a few other tricks. Doesn't work with OEM, only full version. One of the tradeoffs for a cheaper version of Windows.

6. simrick Win User
    Oh bummer. *Sad

simrick, Oct 10, 2016
  7. kimkl Win User
    Do this download the windows media tool just to make sure you get all the new updates i used a usb stick much faster then use the OEM key and ask any of the "TenForum Nerds" *Biggrin there is no difference between OEM and the Retail DVD *Smile) so it should work when i bought Windows 10 home oem it said Retail on DVD *Biggrin so it should work

kimkl, Oct 10, 2016
  8. Superfly Win User

Did you check your key with ShowKey? That error says the key is invalid.

Can't upgrade to an OEM version of Windows 10 Pro with product key [​IMG]

Superfly, Oct 10, 2016
  9. @Superfly, MS tech support said the key was fine. And it worked find when doing the clean install. The key is "invalid" in that you cannot use it for an upgrade. MS error codes are notoriously opaque and duplicative.

@kimkl. Correct, it is the key that makes it retail, OEM, pro, home, etc. And I did use my USB install drive I keep handy (I am the IT department for my friends and family as I am sure many of you are.)

@simrick, I looked at your post originally on my phone and the link looked just like a different post I tried. Actually, I did not try what you suggested (don't want anyone else giving up on that trick in case it might work for them.) But it is was too late for me in any case. *Sad

10. simrick Win User
    Oh! So it may still work - would be interesting to know that. *Smile

simrick, Oct 10, 2016
  11. kimkl Win User
    Yea i am the IT Technician for my whole Town "Small Town" most are over 75 so When i say Wireless they say "Yes my lad we used that during the War" Vietnam War !!SMACK%¤# get hit with a cane on my Head no you slacker the Great War WW1 hehe *Biggrin

kimkl, Oct 10, 2016
  12. Superfly Win User
    Yup, just tested in a VM - OEM keys are not accepted for anytime upgrade - has to be a retail key.

@kimkl.... LOL!

Superfly, Oct 10, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

Cheers. Thanks for testing that. Maybe @Brink should add a note to the tutorial.

simrick, Oct 11, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 11, 2016
  15. simrick Win User
    simrick, Oct 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't upgrade to an OEM version of Windows 10 Pro with product key - Similar Threads - Can't upgrade OEM

2. Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM product key: Hi All, I am upgrading my laptop hard drive from SATA to ssd, the windows version which I had got along with my laptop as oem edition windows 8.1 in these years it has been upgraded to windows 10 pro. Now I am facing issue in installing windows 10 pro in my ssd as Microsoft...
  3. Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM product key: Hi All, I am upgrading my laptop hard drive from SATA to ssd, the windows version which I had got along with my laptop as oem edition windows 8.1 in these years it has been upgraded to windows 10 pro. Now I am facing issue in installing windows 10 pro in my ssd as Microsoft...
  4. Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows 10 upgrade using OEM Key to Pro

Windows 10 upgrade using OEM Key to Pro: Hi All I have a computer bought from a distributor running Win 10 Home and I want to know if it's possible for me to purchase Windows 10 Pro OEM and upgrade the Home to Pro without reinstalling it? thanks....
  6. Windows 10 Pro Upgrade Can't Find Product Key

Windows 10 Pro Upgrade Can't Find Product Key: Trying to get access to my MS Windows 10 Pro key. Bought via store upgrade. Please do not send a link telling me to look in order history, continue to read instead. My order history order doesn't have any key information. There is also literally a dead link on my order...
  7. Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM Product Key

Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM Product Key: We purchased a new computer which included an OEM Product Key for Windows 10 Pro. Rather than install Windows and then copy all the data and apps from our old computer which had Windows 10 Home, we cloned the old hard-drive to the new PC. This means the new computer is...
  8. Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, no product key received, can't activate

Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, no product key received, can't activate: I recently upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro however for some reason it's trying to activate itself as Windows 10 Enterprise. I have bought this upgrade from Microsoft Store, when I go into order history it is marked as completed but when I try to click for...
  9. Upgrade a Win 10 home OEM to Win 10 Pro OEM with Win 10 Pro OEM Key?

Upgrade a Win 10 home OEM to Win 10 Pro OEM with Win 10 Pro OEM Key?: I recently purchased a laptop that has an OEM version of Win 10 Home on it. I verified this by using : slmgr -dli. Previously I had purchased an OEM Win 10 Pro Key. Can I use this OEM Win 10 Pro Key to upgrade the OEM Win 10 Home to the OEM Win 10 Pro. If so what are...
  10. Is 7 pro OEM version eligible for upgrade to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is 7 pro OEM version eligible for upgrade to Windows 10?: I purchased a Windows seven OEM cd from Amazon to upgrade from vista. I'm now wanting to upgrade to ten and the installation using a usb stick gets to the screen where it asks for a product key. The OEM disk doesn't have one. the install apparently will not proceed. Is...