Windows 10: Can't Upgrade to Pro

Discus and support Can't Upgrade to Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Home x64 (latest version) installed on my PC. Over the weekend I purchased a Windows 10 Pro key to upgrade the system, but when I go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by thunderclap, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Can't Upgrade to Pro

I have Windows 10 Home x64 (latest version) installed on my PC. Over the weekend I purchased a Windows 10 Pro key to upgrade the system, but when I go to enter the new code I'm presented with the error: The product key you entered didn't work. Check the product key and try again, or enter a different one. Error Code 0xc004f050.

After doing some research it was suggested to change the product key to the generic Windows 10 Pro one (VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T) and once that took enter my activation code. However, when I tried that, I get a similar error: We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key. If you think you do have a valid license or key, select Troubleshoot below. (0x803fa067).

The only thing I can think of is that my currently installed copy of Windows 10 comes from the Windows 8.1 upgrade path. Windows 8.1 was updated from Windows 8 OEM, so Windows 8 Home -> 8.1 -> 10. Once the system was upgraded to 10 I formatted the drive and did a clean install of 10. This was two years ago, or whenever 10 was released. However, the 10 Pro key I purchased is OEM so it should work, at least in my mind, unless there's something I'm missing.

I should also mention I tried uninstalling the product key to deactivate Windows using the command 'slmgr /upk' and 'slmgr /cpky' but that didn't help.

So I guess my question is am I missing something, or will I need to do a clean install of Windows 10 and use the new Pro key during the install?

:)

thunderclap, Nov 19, 2017
  2. weswesam Win User

Cortana, Windows Update, Windows Defender and cannot add email after upgrading to Windows 10

Original Title: After upgrading to win 10 pro from 7 pro

After upgrading to win 10 pro from 7 proI can't add my email,cortina,can't update windows defender, nor windows update, as if can't connect to microsoft server.

weswesam, Nov 19, 2017
  3. Tried twice to update from Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, only I get Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit

Original Title: 64 Bit Upgrade and NOT 32 Bit!

I tried twice to update from Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, only I get Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit! Can't the upgrade process know that my version of Windows 8.1 Pro is 64 Bit and upgrade it to that? I can't use 32 Bit Windows 10 Pro!

Joseph Corredor, Nov 19, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Can't Upgrade to Pro

dalchina, Nov 19, 2017
  5. Not really, no, as it provides the generic code I've already mentioned. In this tutorial it does mention that "OEM product keys will not be accepted. It must be a retail key." However, it doesn't clarify if that applies to all codes or just the generic one mentioned in the tutorial. And, again, the new code I have is OEM, so I assume upgrading from Home OEM to Pro OEM wouldn't be an issue. Maybe I'm wrong?

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    First using an OEM license on a personal computer that you intend to keep and use yourself violates the OEM license agreement.

Second, last time I read on forum threads here, OEM product keys could not be used for upgrades from Home to Pro. They could only be used to activate clean installs. Once you get a clean install activated, then it gets converted to a digital license by Microsoft and you can upgrade Home to Pro on that same machine by entering the generic product key and it would pick up the stored digital license for Pro stored earlier by the clean install.

Third, you can manually run the Pro product key that you purchased through showkey plus from this forum and see if it passes muster:
    ShowKeyPlus - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Nov 19, 2017
  7. Good to know. My understanding of OEM was a bit different at the time of purchase which was years ago. Thank you for the clarification.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

Can't Upgrade to Pro

Device Partner Center

If you are building a system for your personal use or installing an additional operating system in a virtual machine, you will need to purchase a full version of Windows 10, available in FPP. Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 system builder software does not permit personal use, and is intended only for preinstallation on customer systems that will be sold to end users.

NavyLCDR, Nov 19, 2017
  9. Spyrow424 Win User
    I just found out that if you have Windows 10 installed and have already done the Fall Creators Update, if you try to switch to pro you will get this error and you will not be able to move forward. Try to roll back the Creators Update and try it again. This actually worked for me.

Spyrow424, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't Upgrade to Pro

1. Can't Upgrade to Pro - Similar Threads - Can't Upgrade Pro

2. Can't upgrade to 11 PRO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't upgrade to 11 PRO: Error Code: 0x80071a91Same results after several reboots . On 12/30/2023 I went to upgrade your edition of windows and from Microsoft store and purchased 11 pro, order number 3087276071. I currently have Windows 11 home. Each time I try to install I get am error code of...
  3. Can't upgrade to 11 PRO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't upgrade to 11 PRO: Error Code: 0x80071a91Same results after several reboots . On 12/30/2023 I went to upgrade your edition of windows and from Microsoft store and purchased 11 pro, order number 3087276071. I currently have Windows 11 home. Each time I try to install I get am error code of...
  4. Can't upgrade windows home to pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't upgrade windows home to pro: Dell AIO Inspiron PC can't upgrade Windows 11 Home Single Language to Windows 11 Pro, when entering a Windows 11 Pro license it always fails and comes out Error "The Product key that you entered didn't work. Check the product key and try agany, or enter a different...
  5. Can't upgrade windows home to pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't upgrade windows home to pro: Dell AIO Inspiron PC can't upgrade Windows 11 Home Single Language to Windows 11 Pro, when entering a Windows 11 Pro license it always fails and comes out Error "The Product key that you entered didn't work. Check the product key and try agany, or enter a different...
  6. Can't upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't upgrade to Windows 10 Pro: My MSI Laptop has Windows 10 Home Single Language When I upgrade Windows 10 Pro with product key then Error happen after restart We couldn't update your PC Try updating Windows again or contact your system administrator or Microsoft. Error code: 0x0. Thank for help...
  7. Can't upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Can't upgrade to Windows 10 Pro: Hi guys. I am having troubles with my embedded license on Asus TP300LA-DW060H's UEFI Firmware. Because of this, I cannot change into a Windows 10 Pro edition. Keeps me on Windows 10 Home Single Language. Even if I install a Windows 10 Pro installer, it reverts me back to...
  8. Can't upgrade from home to pro

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't upgrade from home to pro: Someone I know needed a new laptop. I bought one cloned the ssd to a new one and after that I put it back together. The old laptop had windows 10 home with a digital license installed. The new one came with a windows 7 pro key on a sticker. I tried changing the key to the...
  9. Can't upgrade to windows 10 pro

Can't upgrade to windows 10 pro: A few month ago I did upgrade from home to pro digital license, a week ago my hard drive crushed and I reinstall windows home. I wont to upgrade it to windows pro again restore my license but I don't see it in the store. In store I see proposition to by a new license instead...
  10. Can't upgrade from Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't upgrade from Home to Pro: I purchased Windows Pro OEM back in 2016. Now with build 17758.1 it won't let me upgrade from home to pro! It says that I don't have a valid digital license or product key. How can I get it to let me upgrade to pro? Thanks....