Windows 10: Cant upgrade to windows 10 - code 80240020

Discus and support Cant upgrade to windows 10 - code 80240020 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; hello i cant upgrade to windows 10, i tried using media creation tool also but didn't work. any ideas ? 27023 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kostas96, Oct 19, 2015.

1. kostas96 Win User

Cant upgrade to windows 10 - code 80240020

hello

i cant upgrade to windows 10, i tried using media creation tool also but didn't work.
    any ideas ?

:)

kostas96, Oct 19, 2015
  2. FrankBartling, Oct 19, 2015
  3. Upgrade to Windows 10 failed code 80240020. Three solutions/fixes available.

REPOSTING...

PA Bear - MS MVP, Oct 19, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

I found this solution. As far as I understand this error means that some installation files didn't download correctly. If that's the case, you can skip the Get Windows 10 utility and download the ISO from here. Then you should be able to mount it or burn to disk and upgrade to Windows 10. To mount it right-click on it and select Open with -> Windows Explorer. This will create a virtual CD-ROM with a new drive letter and mount the ISO, so you can start Setup from there.

spapakons, Oct 19, 2015
  5. The most likely reason for a 10 upgrade to fail? regardless of what error you see is either due to some type of incompatibility with a hardware present or you have an additional hard drive used for storage/backup purposes lacking any OS and where the 10 installer will end up placing the boot files and/or temp installation folders.

I spend a full day trying everything to get 10 to go until finally reviewing the clean install guide for 10 seen at Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

It was there I discovered that the two storage/backup drives here were seeing both the boot files on one and temp install folders ending up on the other! The 10 installer is easily confused compared to never having any worry with 7 or the 8 Customer Preview when tried in the past 5yrs.! I simply unplugged the first host/boot if trying out a second OS and never saw boot files, set up files end up on either of those two until 10 came along.

When going to download 10 you will want to avoid the Single Language and N options if you are looking for the 10 Pro not Pro N or Home edition! The single language is strictly the Home edition. Those downloads are used to replace files on the Media Creation Tool's dual 32/64bit Home or Pro "Windows.iso" download when skipping everything else to see 10 saved to a folder on the drive.

By cleaning out the 32bit and 64bit folders on the usb media made you can substitute from the 32 and 64bit folders on the dual Home and Pro ISOs in order to see a 4 in 1 usb stick made out of the dual flavor ISO. An 8gb or 16gb flash drive is required due to the increased size. Here all four downloads for both Home and Pro were first downloaded direct by way of the MC tool for seeing individual dvd burns as well as usb keys made up. The downloads run about 10 minutes each.

Now to avoid the need to see a full upgrade install first but go right on ahead for a fresh clean install of 10 without worry about seeing 10 get activated you will also want to review the guide for that as well. Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

Night Hawk, Oct 19, 2015
  6. kostas96 Win User
    thanks very much.
    one questing i am thinking of bying a ssd disk and put the windows 7 there and then instal the 10
    if i do that, then windows 10 are available for free or not ?

kostas96, Oct 19, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    As long as Windows 7 is activated, you can upgrade to 10 and then activate. If you have activated Windows 10 once, then you can format, clean install and activate again (at the same computer of course).

spapakons, Oct 20, 2015
  8. kostas96 Win User

so i can put windows 7 in ssd disk like its a new computer and then upgrade to 10 ?
    great

kostas96, Oct 20, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    Yes, if you previously activated Windows 10 the key is stored in Microsoft's servers and your new Windows 10 installation will activate again. Just make sure you install the same version (Home or Pro).

spapakons, Oct 20, 2015
  10. ITGuy56 Win User
    Even if you already installed Windows 10, you´ll be able to activated in an other computer

ITGuy56, Oct 20, 2015
  11. You can see 10 go right up without any need for an upgrade over 7! I'm surprised no one mentioned the guide for this. Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

When upgrading from a previous version the previous version's key is then tied to the newer version. Thought you should know about that as well. Yet you still will want to review the guide on how to dual boot 10 with 7 or 8, 8.1. Windows 10 - Dual Boot with Windows 7 or Windows 8 - Windows 10 Forums

Night Hawk, Oct 20, 2015
  12. kostas96 Win User
    Maybe you haven't understand guys
    i am currently have Windows 7 ok and I can get Windows 10 cause I made "reservation"
    now what I am asking is
    if I do format on my disk and buy a new one and put Windows 7 there on the new disk.
    then can I then have Windows 10
    with what ever way .
    if I do clean install will activate
    cause of the serial number ?
    thanks

kostas96, Oct 22, 2015
  13. spapakons Win User

After you have installed and activated Windows 10, the key is stored in Microsoft servers. So when you buy a new disk you can just install Windows 10 directly on it, skip key when Setup asks for it (there is a skip button) and finish installation. When online, Windows will match the hardware with the key in the servers and activate automatically. The only thing to do is make sure you install the correct Windows version, because when you skip the key you may be offered both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro (depending on installation media). If you install the wrong version, then you won't be able to activate.

spapakons, Oct 22, 2015
  14. You can use the Media Creation Tool available to download 10 at any time without worry over the reserved copy. By now you should have at least received one or two emails indicating you don't have to wait with a link to the page for both the 32bit and 64bit flavors of the MC Tool itself. Windows 10 ISO Download

With the tool you can see the immediate upgrade take place over the existing 7 install, opt to create the USB Media to see the upgrade or clean install take place, skip and see not the combo 32bit/64bit but single 10 edition burned to a blank dvd, or save the "Wndows.iso" as it will appear to a folder you designate to receive the ISO disk image to for seeing burned to disk or written to a usb flash drive at a later time using another tool or program.

If you are going with the 64bit 10 Home you can also rename the download to "Windows Home x64.iso" to be saved with that name instead in the event you decide to download the 32bit or the Pro edition if not vice versa depending on what you are running now or if planning to upgrade another pc later. How you go about installing 10 will be upto you as far as which drive 10 will be installed to. The guides are there however to walk you through things step by step.

The clean install without seeing the upgrade first guide explains how to acquire the Genuine Ticket from the present 7 installation that will be needed if you elect to see a clean install without upgrade over 7. The serial number on anything has nothing to do with activation since on most newer pre-made systems the product key is now being stored in the firmware the 10 installer finds and sees recorded on the MS activation servers. As spapakons was pointing out you simply click on the "skip" option when coming to the Enter product key now screen and watch as 10 will automatically activate itself if you opt to follow the clean install guide for bypassing the need to see the upgrade first.

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cant upgrade to windows 10 - code 80240020 - Similar Threads - Cant upgrade code

2. Fix Windows 10 Upgrade errors 80240020, 8007002C, 80246007, 80070004

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Windows 10 Upgrade errors 80240020, 8007002C, 80246007, 80070004: [ATTACH] There are tons of error codes for Windows 10 Upgrade. In this post, we are offering definitive fixes for Windows 10 Upgrade errors 80240020, 8007002C, 80246007, 80070004. All of these error codes are related to the problem with Windows Update Folder. [...] This post...
  3. cant upgrade to windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cant upgrade to windows 10: hi i have been having problems upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 i used the microsoft tool to create a instalation media on flash drive (also tried on dvd) and half way through upgrade it says reverting to previous version of windows please dont turn of your computer and...
  4. [TUTORIALS]How to fix Windows10 Update Error code 80240020

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    [TUTORIALS]How to fix Windows10 Update Error code 80240020: If you go to control panel windows update and got this code P.s Sorry I only have Japanese computer :/ but error code should be the same There are 2 method ,The method 2 is below *Biggrin*Biggrin ( I Recommend do the method 2 first ) [img] [img] How to...
  5. WIN 10 error code 80240020

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WIN 10 error code 80240020: I have read the solution to this error code and what I need to know is - when I go to the software distribution download file I see there are files in there from 2014 -is it ok to delete these as well? 9470
  6. W10 upgrade failed (error 80240020) - I didn't ask it to

W10 upgrade failed (error 80240020) - I didn't ask it to: Hi, I got the little 'Get Windows 10' icon and reserved my copy, all fine. But it still doesn't actually say it can install, not sure why. But my laptop has now tried to install W10 5 times, without telling me it was going to or asking my permission. And all five times it...
  7. Cant install Windows 10 after preload (error code 80240020)

Cant install Windows 10 after preload (error code 80240020): I did a preload of the Win10 files on three PCs (via cmd prompt and do a "wuauclt /updatenow". It ran through to 100% and afterwards went into "Preparing ...": [img] But it broke after a long time with something like couldnt install at least 1 update please...
  8. How To Fix Windows 10 80240020 Installation Error

How To Fix Windows 10 80240020 Installation Error: hi guys I found this fix worked for me thanks to idigitaltimes *Wink http://www.idigitaltimes.com/how-fix...n-error-462324 10299
  9. Error 80240020 Installing Win 10

Error 80240020 Installing Win 10: Got this error message when looked at update history. 9731
  10. error code 80240020 showing after 3 failed downloads

error code 80240020 showing after 3 failed downloads: Hi I am getting the above code showing after 3 failed downloads one at 08.11 am and 2 at mid day Can some one please let me know what the above code means because when I click on it I get taken from one Microsoft site to another. *Mad*Mad*Mad and disappointed 9319