Windows 10: Can't upgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Anniversary Edition

Discus and support Can't upgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Anniversary Edition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The Windows 10 Update Assistant says: [img] The current OS on the target machine is Windows 10 Enterprise v 1511. I've got access to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sitary, Aug 17, 2016.

1. sitary Win User

Can't upgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Anniversary Edition

The Windows 10 Update Assistant says:

Can't upgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Anniversary Edition [​IMG]

The current OS on the target machine is Windows 10 Enterprise v 1511. I've got access to the Anniversary Update iso but before I try installing it I wondered if anyone else has run the gauntlet.

Thanks,

Simon

:)

sitary, Aug 17, 2016
  2. Roharashraj™, Aug 17, 2016
  3. tpeis Win User
    Upgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Anniversary edition

I need to upgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Anniversary edition. Is this possible? What is the best way to upgrade?

tpeis, Aug 17, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

Is this the trial version of Enterprise?

From what I know....the Enterprise Edition is completely different from the Home/Pro Editions. If that holds true...hence your problem.

Plankton, Aug 17, 2016
  5. sitary Win User
    Nope, this is the real McCoy. Hmm, after further research about the Enterprise AE Microsoft says "You may download and install update manually from MSDN or Volume Licensing website and perform a manual upgrade. You just have to check for update and the build will be available in future." And another reply says "If it's a full install, you can't keep your files and apps." :-( That can't be right.

There's a lot of confusion on the Technet forums re upgrading the Enterprise version. I think I will let the dust settle a bit jumping in again.

sitary, Aug 17, 2016
  6. How are you trying to do upgrade, exactly? The Media Creation Tool will not upgrade the Enterprise Edition, its an unsupported edition as far as it is concerned. You need the 1607 Enterprise ISO to do it manually. Either by mounting the ISO and running setup.exe, or by creating install media from the ISO file. The obvious question is, why are you running Enterprise? I ask because it's not a consumer OS and only available via VL.

alphanumeric, Aug 17, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    Ditto!

Berton, Aug 18, 2016
  8. Can't upgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Anniversary Edition

Slartybart, Aug 18, 2016
  9. Maggidon Win User
    Huawei Honor 6 :1.7 GHz, Single SIM, 5 inch FHD, KK 4.4, 3GB/16GB, 13MP/5MP,3000mAh Battery (non-removable) = Rs. 14,999. (Smallest size battery,Over priced as it has outdated Android Kitkat)

Maggidon, Aug 18, 2016
  10. Say what? Posted in the wrong thread maybe?

alphanumeric, Aug 18, 2016
  11. sitary Win User
    I assumed that the Anniversary Edition was an upgrade to Windows 10, not a whole new entity like a service pack, and thus I could simply update it using Windows Update like I have ever since I installed Windows 10. I'm using Enterprise because I need the VM and Remote App features. I think the error message that the Update Assistant gave me should be more informative, ala, "The Enterprise edition must be installed from the Volume License Service Center or MSDN Subscriber Downloads."

Anyway, I've got the ISO and I'm upgrading the OS. Thanks.

sitary, Aug 22, 2016
  12. The error message could be more informative, that's for sure. I'm not sure if the upgrade affects activation for Enterprise? I don't think so, but MAK and VL installs can do weird things on an upgrade.

alphanumeric, Aug 22, 2016
  13. Superfly Win User

Very true.. these obscure errors are even more cryptic in the event log... not sure how the MS support people (as clued-up as they are) are supposed to help with that.

In-place upgrade gets a generic MAK digital entitlement (for me anyway), when going from a Win 10 MAK on a previous build.

Superfly, Aug 22, 2016
  14. Maggidon Win User
    My apologies. Definitely in the wrong forum.

Maggidon, Aug 22, 2016
  15. Mystere Win User
    It looks like you're trying to use the Windows 10 upgrade tool from the website. That tool is only available for Home and Pro editions.

Windows 10 Version upgrades are, essentially, all new editions that perform a complete "upgrade install". They are not merely service packs or cumulative updates.

Mystere, Aug 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't upgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Anniversary Edition - Similar Threads - Can't upgrade Enterprise

2. Can't upgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't upgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro: Hello, I have just found this a problem with my operating system. I have reset my pc because it had a virus so I resetted my pc but once it resetted I got Windows 10 Enterprise instead of Windows 10 Pro....
  3. Windows 10 Anniversary Edition and Atom Processor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Anniversary Edition and Atom Processor: I need a link to download Win10 Anniversary edit. I want to format tablet and install fresh. I installed current builds and it won't allow me to do many functions... control panel / device manager / on screen keyboard, etc....
  4. Windows 10 Enterprise Edition

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Enterprise Edition: Where can I purchase just the key for Window 10 Enterprise Edition Thank you Paul https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-enterprise-edition/edf664ae-7c21-4064-a471-713eb2e809b0
  5. Where is the Anniversary Edition

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Where is the Anniversary Edition: My desktop PC just updated but it shows Version 1511, OS Build 10586.545 – Where is the Anniversary update (I believe it's Version: 1607)? 59567
  6. Apps for Windows 10 Anniversary Edition

Apps for Windows 10 Anniversary Edition: Good morning every one. I realize we're all suffering from boredom while waiting for the Anniversary Edition of Windows 10, but I'm trying to make plans for a clean install and the apps I will want to add. I figure I'm not alone in this quest, so I thought we could all weigh...
  7. Can't Install Fonts in Win10Pro64 Anniversary Edition

Can't Install Fonts in Win10Pro64 Anniversary Edition: Hi...I'll admit it, I need help. I have an extensive collection of fonts that are totally different from the limited Win10 array. For example: Clearface and Korinna in many weights and styles. My highly-efficient and wonderful Font Navigator 4.1.0 does not seem to work...
  8. Trouble downloading Windows 10 Anniversary edition

Trouble downloading Windows 10 Anniversary edition: I'm trying to download the Windows 10 Anniversary edition, I get error messages like “Something went wrong. Couldn’t download Windows 10. Check your network settings, and try again.” And when I try the Media creation tool, it appears to begin downloading, and stays on...
  9. Upgrade from Win 7 and Windows 10 Anniversary Update edition

Upgrade from Win 7 and Windows 10 Anniversary Update edition: I have held off going from Win 7 to Win 10 for a number of reasons, including several hardware upgrades over the last 6 months. (I actually have one more hardware upgrade I would like to do, going to a M.2 drive once a 500 GB drive comes out, which may or may not happen...
  10. Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade: Hi. The Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade is not available for me yet. What could be the reason for that ? Thanks in advance for any input. 61967