Windows 10: Can't use PS/2 keyboards on Win 10

Discus and support Can't use PS/2 keyboards on Win 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I found a bunch of my old keyboards from last decade, all in their boxes. Being that they are mechanical keyboards, I prefer to write on them. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Arkas, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Arkas Win User

Can't use PS/2 keyboards on Win 10

I found a bunch of my old keyboards from last decade, all in their boxes. Being that they are mechanical keyboards, I prefer to write on them.
    I have had no luck in all 3 of them. I got the small PS2 to USB adapter, got 2 of then, and the keyboards lights up initially and then nothing.
    I saw a few people suggest a change in a location in regedit, changed to val=1, absolutely nothing.
    Are their drivers for PS/2 keyboards that I can download?
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks.

:)

Arkas, Dec 20, 2016
  2. aussiejhv Win User

Microsoft Wireless keyboard 800

Still waiting for help. As well as the wireless keyboard, I have tried a PS/2 keyboard. This shows the same problem, not typing in the Win 10 newer features.

I have tried the keyboards on other Win 10 computers running Win 10 pro x64 and both work fine.

Therefore it is the Win 10 operating system or drivers at fault.

aussiejhv, Dec 20, 2016
  3. WIN 10 Keyboard stuck randomly on reboot

I have a keyboard issue since upgrading to win 10. First, I tried several keyboards with same results (ps/2 and usb). After reboot the keyboard will get stuck on any key I press. The LEDs remain open but can't access them. The only way around is to unplug
    the keyboard and plug it back in (only works for usb). Anyone else got this problem? ( MOBO: ZH77Pro )

ioioiofilip, Dec 20, 2016
  4. cbwilsha Win User

I use a PS/2 keyboard with my Windows 10 Toshiba laptop. Never had to supply any drivers as MS did it for me automatically. The current driver for mine is furnished by Microsoft and is dated 6/21/2006 and is Version 10.0.14393.206.

Is yours recognized by Device Manager? If so, go there and click on Update Driver and see what happens. The exact same driver is shown for the regular laptop keyboard also.

C.B.

cbwilsha, Dec 20, 2016
  5. TrustMe Win User
    You have to get an active USB to PS2 adapter, the ones you tried are probably passive. I did a quick eBay search and found these.

USB to PS2 active adapters

It doesn't matter where you buy it, just so it's active.

TrustMe, Dec 20, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    Do you start computer with that KB plugged in ? Even if used with USB converter they have to be connected before computer is turned on. Could also look at BIOS and see if there's "Legacy" setting for USB.

CountMike, Dec 20, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    I tried a couple of USB to PS/2 adapters few years ago and they worked fine with a mouse but not a keyboard, turned out the keyboard had to originally included the adapter, seemed to be rather specific and universal adapters didn't work. USB to PS/2 doesn't seem as simple as the 9-pin Serial to PS/2 adapters were.

Berton, Dec 20, 2016
  8. Arkas Win User

That did it!
    I went and got an active usb to ps/2 and it worked!
    Thank you!

Arkas, Dec 20, 2016
  9. TrustMe Win User
    You're welcome, thanks for the update.

TrustMe, Dec 20, 2016
  10. I see that its solved but want to ask what color your PS2 to USB adapters are? Why I ask is because the Green adapters are for Mice and will not work for keyboards. And the Blue adapters are for keyboards and will not work with mice. The pin used for data is different for a keyboard versus mouse.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't use PS/2 keyboards on Win 10 - Similar Threads - Can't keyboards

2. I can't type "@" on my keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't type "@" on my keyboard: When i turned screen keyboard on I noticed keys format are different than common keyboard. Help me solve this issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-type-on-my-keyboard/00134582-d83a-4208-bae2-0e095858c75b
  3. I can't type "@" on my keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't type "@" on my keyboard: When i turned screen keyboard on I noticed keys format are different than common keyboard. Help me solve this issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-type-on-my-keyboard/00134582-d83a-4208-bae2-0e095858c75b
  4. I can't remove the English United Kingdom on my keyboard layout.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't remove the English United Kingdom on my keyboard layout.: It's not showing under Settings. Can't remove it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-remove-the-english-united-kingdom-on-my/54545d94-4395-4507-9f54-2b4faa91ecf7
  5. I can't remove the English United Kingdom on my keyboard layout.

I can't remove the English United Kingdom on my keyboard layout.: It's not showing under Settings. Can't remove it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-remove-the-english-united-kingdom-on-my/54545d94-4395-4507-9f54-2b4faa91ecf7
  6. Can't Get On Screen Keyboard Working For Logon

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't Get On Screen Keyboard Working For Logon: Surface Pro Without KeyboardWindows 10Had to reboot machine to apply updates. Get to the loging screen. Hav keyboard on screen. Click in the password input control. Have onscreen keyboard. Click on key and nothing happens. Have highlight moving down across keys. How do I get...
  7. Can't Get On Screen Keyboard Working For Logon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Get On Screen Keyboard Working For Logon: Surface Pro Without KeyboardWindows 10Had to reboot machine to apply updates. Get to the loging screen. Hav keyboard on screen. Click in the password input control. Have onscreen keyboard. Click on key and nothing happens. Have highlight moving down across keys. How do I get...
  8. Can't Get On Screen Keyboard Working For Logon

9. Can't keep English Intl as the default keyboard layout while using English UK system language.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't keep English Intl as the default keyboard layout while using English UK system language.: Hi. I searched for an answer to this exact issue, but could only find answers telling me to delete English UK. That's not what I need.Basically, I bought a Win11 laptop not in the UK, so it doesn't have the UK layout with @ where " is located, and £ where # is located for...
  10. Can't keep English Intl as the default keyboard layout while using English UK system language.

Can't keep English Intl as the default keyboard layout while using English UK system language.: Hi. I searched for an answer to this exact issue, but could only find answers telling me to delete English UK. That's not what I need.Basically, I bought a Win11 laptop not in the UK, so it doesn't have the UK layout with @ where " is located, and £ where # is located for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to use ps2 keyboard win 10

2. use ps2 keyboard on win 10 x64