Windows 10: Can't use Run dialog from Start Menu

Discus and support Can't use Run dialog from Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I right click on the Start Menu and select Run, I get this error. [img] I checked Group Policy and as far as I can tell, none of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ztruker, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Ztruker Win User

Can't use Run dialog from Start Menu

If I right click on the Start Menu and select Run, I get this error.

Can't use Run dialog from Start Menu [​IMG]

I checked Group Policy and as far as I can tell, none of the settings that affect Run are configured.
    Any idea what I can look at/for?

:)

Ztruker, Oct 24, 2014

2. WINDOWS 10 START MENU NOT WORKING

I do not have a start menu in the taskbar and start menu properties dialog box. I can't change start setting without this.

gregvandamme, Oct 24, 2014
  3. installed Windows 10 and email and Facebook shortcuts no longer work in internet Explorer

Bruce,

Are you able to open Internet Explorer normally.. that is by launching Internet Explorer shortcut, or running iexplore.exe from Run dialog or Start menu?

Ramesh Srinivasan, Oct 24, 2014
  4. Saltgrass Win User

It appears that dialog is started by a run shortcut in the following folder. You might check the properties and see if any looks different for it than the other shortcuts.

C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools

Can we assume Winkey+R does the same thing?

-- I now know why my internet connection is slow --- you are sucking up all the bandwidth, 30 GB shesh!! *Biggrin

Saltgrass, Oct 24, 2014
  5. Issue not on my machine.

Run from:

Power user menu (right click start)
    \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group2\1-Run.lnk
    Target type: Application
    Target location: %windir%
    Target: %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{2559a1f3-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}
    Open file location: %windir%\explorer.exe (selected)

Security
    SYSTEM, MyuserIDs (local and MS acct), Administrators - all full control
    Owner: My local acct
    Start Screen
    \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\Run.lnk
    Target type: Run
    Target location: Desktop
    Target: Run...
    Open file location: Desktop (nothing selected)

Security
    SYSTEM, MyuserIDs (local and MS acct), Administrators - all full control
    Owner: My local acct
    You said Start menu - is that the new start menu with tiles to the right?

Slartybart, Oct 24, 2014
  6. davehc Win User
    "You said Start menu - is that the new start menu with tiles to the right?"

I am sure he means as he has stated. Right click - which opens the so-called "Power" menu.

Have you tried scrolling down the "All Apps" menu to Windows system - run, to see if it will run from there?

davehc, Oct 24, 2014
  7. I didn't get the error msg bu when I Winkey r I cannot type into the input box. It shows enabled but no typed characters appear.

Edit: I deleted the $Win hidden folder, turned off Windows Search and defragged. Now Run works and Explorer pops up a lot faster.

MilesAhead, Oct 24, 2014
  8. topgundcp Win User

topgundcp, Oct 24, 2014
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Umm, 30MB, sorry *Redface

No System Tools under Programs:

Edit: It's called Windows System, not System Tools.
    Run fails same way there when I try to start it.

Ztruker, Oct 25, 2014
  10. Ztruker Win User
    There is no Run under Windows System:

Ztruker, Oct 25, 2014
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Okay, found it. Run command and group policy - Spiceworks

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    NoRun=1

Changed it to 0, logged off and on and now it works.

I should have stated this is in a X64 VM under Oracle VirtualBox; 2GB Ram; 50GB hard drive

Edit: Disable_Run_command.reg from the link topguncp posted would also have fixed this.

Ztruker, Oct 25, 2014
  12. TopGun pointed you to an eightforums tutorial (post 6) that had a registry fix similar to what you found
    Run Command - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoRun"=-
    The difference is that the EF fix removes the NoRun key.

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for posting your solution.

Bill

Slartybart, Oct 25, 2014
  13. Ztruker Win User

My question is, why did it happen? Is it something to do with running as a Virtual Machine?

Ztruker, Oct 26, 2014
  14. I'm running in a Hyper-V machine and the issue wasn't present.
    Win10 - originally downloaded from the Insider page (Pro?), not the TechNet eval page (Enterprise?)
    I suppose Windows Update (WU) / Preview Build Update (PBU) figures out the difference. But being a preview rls - who knows.

Bill

Slartybart, Oct 26, 2014
  15. I have 5 VMWare virtual machines and they all work. Probably one of those undocumented effects aka bug. May be you should send feedback to MS.

Indianatone, Oct 26, 2014
Thema:

1. Can't use Run dialog from Start Menu - Similar Threads - Can't Run dialog

2. Can't use my start menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't use my start menu.: Hello there, my start menu is opening and that's all about it. Nothing can be clicked, used, etc. Used this command: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$$_.InstallLocation\AppXManifest.xml"} But Powershell says "Access...
  3. RUN dialog

RUN dialog: Been fighting with this for very long time, Start > RUN doesn't display any past entries/commands, list is always empty, it opens up but nothing in it, empty like a pocket, nothing, nada and not even that. Works fine in insider build on same machine, All customizing is...
  4. Apps not running from start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Apps not running from start menu: After a Windows update the apps on the start menú are not running. When I click on them it show a white bar beneat the icon but it does not load or anything. Thank you for your help....
  5. Run program from run dialog

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Run program from run dialog: How do I add a program to the registry so that I can type it into the run dialog and open it? 139393
  6. Run program from run dialog

in Windows 10 Support
    Run program from run dialog: How do I add a program to the registry so that I can type it into the run dialog and open it? 139393
  7. I can't use Search in Start Menu

in Cortana
    I can't use Search in Start Menu: Hi, When I open Start Menu and start typing something I get the white block. How I can fix that issue? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-use-search-in-start-menu/192fc523-48a4-4654-89b8-e6e9f35c6ebc"
  8. Can't unpin from start menu

Can't unpin from start menu: A few months ago, I could unpin from start, but now when I unpin something, it comes back every time I shut down my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-unpin-from-start-menu/84d8eb39-c74d-45d0-b093-e167399f8d17
  9. Can't run programs as Admin from the start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't run programs as Admin from the start menu: [img] [img] After the 1709 update, i notice that i cannot do the above. anybody else experience this? It worked fine tho on my 1709 laptop. I tried running sfc /scannow , Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth , and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth to see if...
  10. Can't search from Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't search from Start menu: Hello! I recently had to reinstall (complete/clean install) W-10, and ever since then I cannot search from Start. I open the Start menu as normal, either by clicking the icon or by pressing the Windows key on my keyboard, but when I press any key as I normally would to...