Windows 10: Can't write to Unix CIF shares

Discus and support Can't write to Unix CIF shares in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Freenas Server (based on FreeBSD Unix) connected to my network. I can't get it to show up in file explorer untill I type "//000.000.000.000"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sxcd1, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Sxcd1 Win User

Can't write to Unix CIF shares

I have a Freenas Server (based on FreeBSD Unix) connected to my network. I can't get it to show up in file explorer untill I type "//000.000.000.000" (it's IP address). When I try to drag a file to the window CIF shares (Permissions in Unix are Allow Guest Access and Recursively set sane default windows permissions on share) I get the error "You Need Permission to Perform this Action". Both of these features worked on Win 7 Pro before I did an upgrade to Win 10 Pro. I also did a fresh install of Win 10 Pro and it made no difference so I restored a Macrium image of the Win10 Pro Upgrade.

:)

Sxcd1, Jan 4, 2016

2. Wanna Cry Ransomware : Update 5/21/2017 FIX

Hi,

The Difference between CIFS and SMB.

SMB :

SMB stands for "Server Message Block." It's a file sharing protocol that was invented by IBM and has been around since the mid-eighties. It was designed to allow computers to read and write files to a remote host over a local area network (LAN). The directories
    on the remote hosts made available via SMB are called "shares."

CIFS:

CIFS stands for "Common Internet File System." CIFS is a dialect of SMB. That is, CIFS is a particular implementation of the Server Message Block protocol, created by Microsoft.

So what’s the difference?

Most people, when they use either SMB or CIFS, are talking about the same exact thing. The two are interchangeable not only in discussion, but also in application – i.e., a client speaking CIFS can talk to a server speaking SMB and vice versa. Why? Because
    CIFS is a form of SMB.

Halim ✔️️, Jan 4, 2016
  3. rwb1012 Win User
    Windows 10 and Server 2003

You should update your unsupported server.

To get your laptops to connect, you need to enable the insecure SMB1 on the laptops.

Control Panel

Programs and Features

Turn Windows features on or off

SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support

Uncheck SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal

Check SMB 1.0/CIFS Client

Check SMB 1.0/CIFS Server (only if you need to see Win10 shares from an old OS)

You should update your unsupported server.

rwb1012, Jan 4, 2016
  4. Sxcd1 Win User

Other directories in the windows from other CIF shares asked me for a user name and password. So I entered the Freenas username and pw. After doing that I was able to write to the CIF share in question that didn't ask for a username/pw. Not sure what happened.

Sxcd1, Jan 4, 2016
  5. Railtech Win User
    Do you have a user account set up on your NAS? You should do so using the same username\password as you used for your Windows 10 account. This should allow access without the need for Credential Authentication.

Railtech, Jan 4, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Linux and Unix uses Samba not CIF. You need to go back through your Freenas settings and also do the following on the Windows machines as an administrator in Powershell:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend=bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi

sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

You also have to flush the DNS and reset Winsock to get it to work, then reboot the Windows computers and it should work at that point.

bro67, Jan 5, 2016
  7. Sxcd1 Win User
    Freenas is based on FreeBSD and it uses CIF. I'm sure your correct about Linx and Unix. Here is a picture from my web interface.

Can't write to Unix CIF shares [​IMG]

The SC.exe command is run from a command prompt on my windows machine?
    What does it do?
    Is that still correct for a CIF share?

Sxcd1, Jan 5, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Windows uses CIFS. Linux and Unix use Samba to communicate with Windows servers and workstations.

CIFS is Microsoft's way of communicating with Linux and Unix servers.

Common Internet File System

bro67, Jan 5, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
  10. bro67 Win User
  11. bro67 Win User
Thema:

1. Can't write to Unix CIF shares - Similar Threads - Can't write Unix

2. UN/PW for shared folder CIFS not accept on one PC but it is on all others

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UN/PW for shared folder CIFS not accept on one PC but it is on all others: I recently installed a NAS and created a shared folder CIFS To connect and map it, I ran: \\192.168.x.x. UN/PW. Selected to map it and done. This worked fine on 4 of the 5 Windows 11 PCs in my house. The fifth one is constantly getting a message that the UN or PW is...
  3. UN/PW for shared folder CIFS not accept on one PC but it is on all others

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UN/PW for shared folder CIFS not accept on one PC but it is on all others: I recently installed a NAS and created a shared folder CIFS To connect and map it, I ran: \\192.168.x.x. UN/PW. Selected to map it and done. This worked fine on 4 of the 5 Windows 11 PCs in my house. The fifth one is constantly getting a message that the UN or PW is...
  4. Stretch Cluster - CIFS share Quota MGMT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stretch Cluster - CIFS share Quota MGMT: **Stretch cluster 2 nodes per site - 2 physical sites in play.**cifs shares in use on the cluster.**SAN Storage assigned storage as a pool - 'sfc pool' presented to cluster and then I create shares within FCM.Trying to understand how to manage quotas on the shares for example...
  5. Stretch Cluster - CIFS share Quota MGMT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stretch Cluster - CIFS share Quota MGMT: **Stretch cluster 2 nodes per site - 2 physical sites in play.**cifs shares in use on the cluster.**SAN Storage assigned storage as a pool - 'sfc pool' presented to cluster and then I create shares within FCM.Trying to understand how to manage quotas on the shares for example...
  6. Sharing folders with write access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing folders with write access: I have a need to share some folders/directories with write access on a small office network. I can't figure out how to do this now. What's needed: Some machines have write access to some folders, everything has read-access to everything shared we don't need or desire...
  7. Cannot write to a shared parent folder

Cannot write to a shared parent folder: I have a sharing problem that appeared after I upgraded to Windows 10 version 1903. Prior to the upgrade, I had a shared folder to which I could write (drag and drop using Windows Explorer) from another computer. After the upgrade, if I drag and drop a file to the shared...
  8. Umounting Cifs (Samba) share from virtual (or physical) servers

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Umounting Cifs (Samba) share from virtual (or physical) servers: Hi there If you've got a REAL or Virtual Linux server where you have some samba (cifs) shares mounted and the other computer serving the share goes down or has a problem it's easy to force umount the share(s) without needing a server reboot simply as root (or sudo) type...
  9. Can read but not write on shared folder

Can read but not write on shared folder: Hello, I have a network of computers in my office running on windows 7 and one main computer running on windows 10. I have a folder shared on my windows 10 pc and i can access this folder on all computers on my network. I can read but not write on this shared folder on my...
  10. No longer authorized to write shared drives

No longer authorized to write shared drives: About 2 months ago after a windows 10 update my shared drives started producing an error stating that Administrator approval was required to make changes. I rechecked all the settings and permissions on my W10Pro main machine but W10Home laptops can see shared drives but not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant write to unix share