Windows 10: Case of the Disappearing Drive

Discus and support Case of the Disappearing Drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey, folks -- Has anybody else run into a recent problem with hard drives simply disappearing off your computer's radar? My wife's machine is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DJRoff, Dec 20, 2015.

1. DJRoff Win User

Case of the Disappearing Drive

Hey, folks --

Has anybody else run into a recent problem with hard drives simply disappearing off your computer's radar?

My wife's machine is running Win 7 (also 2 other OS's, but that's her main squeeze), and her third drive, a 2TB we use for backup, has vanished. I name those backup drives "Z", for convenience, and up until about two weeks ago, no problem. All of a sudden, the drive vanishes. Not "offline", it just doesn't exist in Disk Management at all. I tried pulling it out and checking it elsewhere, and the drive itself is fine. Put it back in, and the machine recognized it again. But a couple of boots later, it vanished once more.

I thought maybe there was a hardware or cable problem, and was about to start troubleshooting there. But tonight, I see that my OWN machine (running Windows 10, most of the time) has the same exact problem. My "Z" drive is only 1TB, and suddenly it is just not there. The chances of BOTH machines having the same hardware problem at the same time are very remote, to say the least.

So what I'm wondering is, was there something that came along in Windows Update recently that is causing issues like this? Something to do with drive letters further down the alphabet? I saw an earlier thread which pertained to very large drives (3-4TB), but it was an old thread and these drives are not that huge. Anybody have some insight here? I'm pulling my hair out! *Mad*Mad*Mad

:)

DJRoff, Dec 20, 2015

2. Battery Life Icon has disappeared from Windows 10 taskbar.

THANK-YOU JMarco! This isn't even the first time it's disappeared on me. And, it drives me nuts. I will remember this method in case there's another disappearance.. thanks for making it brief and simple.

AngelaNicholsYQ, Dec 20, 2015
  3. Windows 10 - just in case of losing USB drive...

Hello,

I've bought a copy of Windows 10 Home 32/64 bit recently, BOX edition on USB drive. Now i wonder if I lose or damage this USB drive in the future (well accidents happen...), if:

1. I can download somehow Windows 10 Home installation files from Microsoft Website, and activate it using my product key provided with my copy

2. Such installation breaks some warranty/license rules

3. Can I do backup of this USB drive somehow (again, if that breaks any license/warranty things)

3. or do I need to buy another Windows copy as this is irreversible damage and basicaly i lost product i bought

Thanks

Sebastian

Sebastian Jaźwiec, Dec 20, 2015
Thema:

Case of the Disappearing Drive

1. Case of the Disappearing Drive - Similar Threads - Case Disappearing Drive

2. Google Drive in case of two computer's users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google Drive in case of two computer's users: I use Google Drive GD from now on.Until today I was the only one using the PC as admin and the letter assigned to GD is "G:"Today I have created a new user for my wife still admin and she's using GD as well and for her the letter assigned to GD is "H:".Problem is that now...
  3. Google Drive in case of two computer's users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google Drive in case of two computer's users: I use Google Drive GD from now on.Until today I was the only one using the PC as admin and the letter assigned to GD is "G:"Today I have created a new user for my wife still admin and she's using GD as well and for her the letter assigned to GD is "H:".Problem is that now...
  4. Google Drive in case of two computer's users

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Disk drive disappearing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk drive disappearing: My disk drive keeps vanishing at a random point in time within 1- 30 min after I fully shut down and restart my computer. the data still exists on the computer and the drive, its just not accessible by me or my programs. I've tried a bunch of things so far, but I'm very...
  6. Disk drive disappearing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk drive disappearing: My disk drive keeps vanishing at a random point in time within 1- 30 min after I fully shut down and restart my computer. the data still exists on the computer and the drive, its just not accessible by me or my programs. I've tried a bunch of things so far, but I'm very...
  7. C Drive Disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    C Drive Disappeared: From "optimize drives". Once a month I like to manually defrag and when I went to do it today the only one that was there was E my external hard drive I use for backup. Any help will be appreciated....
  8. Disk drive disappeared

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk drive disappeared: Yesterday I was opening my laptop and for the first time it took so long in the logo screen, took about 5 mins just to start up, and then my shortcuts weren't working since disk drive D isn't recognized by windows at all, disc management, device manager it wasn't there I even...
  9. One Drive Case # 1009141657 ONE DRIVE SUPPORT

One Drive Case # 1009141657 ONE DRIVE SUPPORT: Gentlemen, You requested that I send you a shared folder/files. I sent them two to three days ago and have not heard back as to you receiving them or not.. Can you please update me as to the status of the above Case # 1009141657? Sincerely, John Benz *** Email...
  10. Networking and the Black Arts - The case of the disappearing computers

Networking and the Black Arts - The case of the disappearing computers: I have long considered computer networking to be a black art, and recent events have tended to confirm this opinion. Last week my home network comprised 2 PCs (my wife's and mine) and my laptop. Using File Explorer I could see each of these machines and and had full access...