Windows 10: Caution dual booting windows 7 & 10 may cause issue

Discus and support Caution dual booting windows 7 & 10 may cause issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Caution dual booting windows 7 & 10 may cause issues. Doesn't matter if it is retail or oem. Windows 10 does some weird things when using it. So, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by groze, Jul 22, 2015.

1. groze Win User

Caution dual booting windows 7 & 10 may cause issue

Caution dual booting windows 7 & 10 may cause issues. Doesn't matter if it is retail or oem. Windows 10 does some weird things when using it. So, it makes windows 7 do a consistency check on the drive. It could also be Macrium image not restoring windows 7 correctly.

What I may have to do to get around this issue.

Is restore back to windows 7 oem without windows 10
    Upgrade to windows 10 oem
    Create the windows 10 oem usb recovery drive
    restore back to windows 7 oem without windows 10
    Change the Windows 7 oem to retail legally
    Do some partitioning to create space for windows 10 clean install
    Install windows 10 on the 2nd partition.
    Reinstall grub and hope that works.

:)

groze, Jul 22, 2015
  2. birlak Win User

Dual boot windows 10 with windows 10 by upgrading win 7

I was running dual boot of windows 7 and windows 8.1 for long time. I have upgraded my windows 8.1 to windows 10 since 6 months.

No issues as such. My purpose of dual boot is i solely use the windows 7 for my kid's gaming & other activities, so that he doesn't mess up with the other OS. Now, I would like to upgrade the windows 7 to windows 10 as well. Is dual boot of windows 10 and
    windows 10 possible in first place and will there be any issues in doing so?

birlak, Jul 22, 2015
  3. Dual boot system consisting of Windows 7 & Windows 10

Is it possible / permissible to alter an existing dual boot system of 2 windows 7 O.S. to upgrade one of the windows 7 to Windows 10 and leave the other Windows 7 as is? The result would be a dual boot system of Windows 7 & 10.

Billy Boy81, Jul 22, 2015
  4. Caution dual booting windows 7 & 10 may cause issue

Anshad Edavana, Jul 22, 2015
  5. groze Win User
    I disagree. I am actually triple booting. Fast startup was turned off. So that not the issue. I stand by what I posted above but I do need to add, that I am also booting with Xubuntu that why I used grub. I read reports on here that people had issues with windows 10 boot manager and even some people had issues with using easybcd. I only have one hard drive.

Xubuntu is on /dev/sda5
    Linux swap is on /dev/sda6

groze, Jul 22, 2015
  6. sgage Win User
    I have been triple-booting Windows 7/Windows 10/Ubuntu Gnome since October, and have never encountered any problems. I think your Macrium restore might have caused issues. All of this installing/imaging/restoring with multiple operating systems is pushing things to the edge, and something's bound to come up.

I have used the Windows bootloader as well as grub during this time. I use EasyBCD to make an entry for the Windows boot menu - that works fine. So does simply using grub - update-grub finds the Windows bootloader and gives that option in its menu.

sgage, Jul 22, 2015
  7. groze Win User
    @sgage

I think you are correct . I decided to do the installing of windows 10 differently when released. Just have to be patient. I am going to one more test, then I going to delete that device unless my test happens to work.

groze, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Caution dual booting windows 7 & 10 may cause issue

1. Caution dual booting windows 7 & 10 may cause issue - Similar Threads - Caution dual booting

2. Dual-booting Windows 10 and Windows 7 issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual-booting Windows 10 and Windows 7 issue: I have Windows 10 and Windows 7 both installed, in a dual-boot configuration, for app compatibility reasons. Win10 is installed on my primary SSD, Win7 on a partition of a larger hard disk. This worked fine until I had to reset my Windows 10 installation reset via cloud...
  3. Dual booting windows 10 and 7 issues.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual booting windows 10 and 7 issues.: Hi everyone, I'm dual booting windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 LTSC they are UEFI installs, I installed windows 7 first. When windows 7 was the last booted OS it will show the old black bootloader selecting windows 7 from there will work just fine, but selecting windows 10...
  4. Dual booting Windows 7 and 10

Dual booting Windows 7 and 10: I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium, boot mode is 'Legacy BIOS in UEFI secure boot not supported', motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with a 100 Mhz bus, 16GB memory and 'UEFI: American Megatrends F5 05/16/2013' with a 250GB SSD. I want to dual boot with W7 and W10....
  5. Windows 7/10 dual boot?

Windows 7/10 dual boot?: About time I changed to Windows 10 (Pro) I guess. However, I would perhaps (still mulling pros and cons) like to have a dual boot with my current Windows 7 (Home) - the PC is 99% used for gaming (X-Plane 11) and some of the older hardware I use, and want to keep, such as a...
  6. Windows 10 May update(1903) Dual Boot up issue

Windows 10 May update(1903) Dual Boot up issue: I am trying an In place upgrade from the windows 10 1803 version to the latest May update (1903) using the ISO file After the successful installation of the update, On the machine boot up it came up with the Dual boot screen, Both Os was windows 10, One of the them was my...
  7. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  8. Dual booting windows 7 and 10

Dual booting windows 7 and 10: I have just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10... I've bought a new ssd to install windows 10, but it was installed over my windows 7(in the old ssd) in the process.... Articles in this forum say that you cannot dual boot windows 7 and windows 10, since once you proceed to...
  9. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  10. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...