Windows 10: CC Cleaner changed my browser

Discus and support CC Cleaner changed my browser in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi all. yesterday I ran CC Cleaner and it changed my browser from edge to internet explorer 11. So i did a system restore, which put my browser back to... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by kojiro, Jul 31, 2016.

1. kojiro Win User

CC Cleaner changed my browser

Hi all. yesterday I ran CC Cleaner and it changed my browser from edge to internet explorer 11. So i did a system restore, which put my browser back to edge. But now when I open a new page its just blank with a search bar. There are no 'most visited sites' and there is no news feed? Can anyone tell me what has happed and how to fix it? thanks

:)

kojiro, Jul 31, 2016

2. Outside cleaners

I had the same problem. I had upgraded to Windows 10 and at the same time CC Cleaner apparently had an update that checked off clean Utilities>Windows Defender. WD kept popping up saying that "it had been some time since a previous scan" when the last
    scan that I had done was just one hour before! I contacted MS and was told I needed to schedule a scan with Task Scheduler. This did not work. I came across these posts yesterday morning, unchecked WD in CC Cleaner and everything has been quiet. I am satisfied
    with the OS Windows 10 product. I have had malware problems on my computer and prefer to maintain rigorous control for eliminating unwanted browser cookies and links that have been inserted into my web browser. I currently have browser extensions that block
    tracking sources and minimally clean the browser after each internet session. However CC Cleaner settings are more thorough at cleaning cookies and maintain cookies needed for desired browser settings. My question....are there any other settings in CC Cleaner
    that should be unchecked to protect and maintain the OS function and viability? Thanks.

GailBerger, Jul 31, 2016
  3. CC CLEANER

I JUST DOWNLOADED WINDOWS 10.WHEN I RUN CC CLEANER I KEEP GETTING 3 REGISTRY ERRORS

THAT WILL NOT GO AWAY KEEP GETTING THE SAME 3 REGISTRY ERRORS.

ALSO DO I NEED WINDOWS ESSENTIAL WITH WINDOWS 10

THANK YOU

jamesstark2015, Jul 31, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

Did you run CCleaner? It will (depending on the options you picked here) delete your Internet history...

CC Cleaner changed my browser [​IMG]

If this is the case you'll have to re-visit your favorite sites to re-populate the most visited list.

You could (if you have a full backup) restore the relevant files from it into %appdata% directory but it may be more effort than it is worth.

In the settings in Edge (click on the 3 dots in the top right then settings is at the bottom) you can choose your news feed again.

I'm not sure why it reset your default browser - that never happened to me.

5. kojiro Win User
    yes I ran cleaner. The thing is there are no empty boxes for 'most visited sites' anymore. And under the boxes I used to have a news feed. A system restore should have put it back to what it was before I ran cleaner. But it hasn't?

kojiro, Jul 31, 2016
  6. kojiro Win User
    this is what I see when I open a new page. I can use search bar. But I cant right click on the page.

kojiro, Jul 31, 2016
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Going forward, for all three browsers, I have everything UNchecked except Internet Cache for GC & FF and Temporary Internet Files for IE. Getting rid of the cache files on at least a weekly basis has really helped to speed browsing operation up for me.

RolandJS, Jul 31, 2016
  8. RolandJS Win User

Some time back, I had to "rebuild" my Internet Explorer, it took several steps before it was back to normal operations. If I can find that quick-list of steps, I'll be back and post the steps in this post as an addendum.
    Meanwhile, it's possible that tweaking.com's Windows Repair (All in One) might be a good starting point. I believe there is a clickbox or two that relates to Internet Explorer; also consider clicking items #26 & 27 just to reSet to Default some Windows Prime behavior.

RolandJS, Jul 31, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    What did you have checked under CCleaners "System and Advanced" choices?? Those might be the ones that messed you up.
    Here are mine...

CC Cleaner changed my browser [​IMG]

OldMike65, Jul 31, 2016
  10. Hello kojiro,

The browser change may of been connected to CCleaner removing something in the registry Malware related.

I too, have never had CCleaner change my default browser. *Huh

You might run a few specialized cleaning utilities on your system. To make sure all is in order.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Jul 31, 2016
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    That could happen if the OP ran CCleaners registry cleaner also, but he didn't say that he did. *Rolleyes
    I agree CCleaner has NEVER changed my default browser either.

OldMike65, Jul 31, 2016
  12. ARC1020 Win User
    Go through the following tutorial and change the "Open New Tabs With" drop down box from 'Blank Page' to 'Top Sites and Suggested Content'.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...dows-10-a.html

ARC1020, Jul 31, 2016
  13. kojiro Win User

I just downloaded and ran cleaner. iv used it before and never had any problems

kojiro, Jul 31, 2016
  14. kojiro Win User
    I don't understand why a system restore didn't return my pc to the same state as it was. The system restore took ages to do also.

kojiro, Jul 31, 2016
  15. lx07 Win User
    Because system restore is not the same as restoring from a backup.

If you restore from a backup then everything is restored to how it was. System restore will replace certain system files (and uninstall programs and so on) but it will not restore your personal data. Your browsing history is stored in C:\Users\<your name>\appdata\local directory and this isn't replaced when you do a system restore.

In future you'd be better off making a backup using Macrium or similar and using that as a base point if you run into issues.

Thema:

1. CC Cleaner changed my browser - Similar Threads - Cleaner changed browser

2. Most programs on computer are instantly crashing such as microsoft edge, cc cleaner and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Most programs on computer are instantly crashing such as microsoft edge, cc cleaner and...: HelloAll of a sudden my pc has stopped working properly. Certain programs do work entirely such as chrome and word but other random ones just refuse to open or crash within seconds. In safe mode, everything works well including the windows settings boxes which refuse to open...
  3. Most programs on computer are instantly crashing such as microsoft edge, cc cleaner and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Most programs on computer are instantly crashing such as microsoft edge, cc cleaner and...: HelloAll of a sudden my pc has stopped working properly. Certain programs do work entirely such as chrome and word but other random ones just refuse to open or crash within seconds. In safe mode, everything works well including the windows settings boxes which refuse to open...
  4. Most programs on computer are instantly crashing such as microsoft edge, cc cleaner and...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to change to this cleaner windows look?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change to this cleaner windows look?: Hello, i would like to know how to change my current windows look lower pic to cleaner look higher pic? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-to-this-cleaner-windows-look/b4c61d0e-b955-4f08-a25d-297259a4d1cc
  6. cc cleaner

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    cc cleaner: when i run cc cleaner and delete files where do they really go? build 1904rrct 150194
  7. cc cleaner

cc cleaner: cc cleaner is asking me clean error in the registry is this safe to do [ATTACH]try is this safe to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cc-cleaner/7dc60a87-e38c-4f2f-bc3f-c020d729a029
  8. can i use cc cleaner with windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i use cc cleaner with windows 10: can i use cc cleaner with windows 10 and it is it safe . anybody use it. Was told dont need to use because damage windows 10. I have been using it for years in win 7 142452
  9. can i use cc cleaner with windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    can i use cc cleaner with windows 10: can i use cc cleaner with windows 10 and it is it safe . anybody use it. Was told dont need to use because damage windows 10. I have been using it for years in win 7 142452
  10. cleaners

cleaners: Is ccleaner something that should be renewed or is there a program already offered in Windows 10 or with my hp computer. where can you find what is needed or not needed? seems a lot of ads for registry and files or interent history is being advertised and never sure if it...