Windows 10: CCleaner blocking use of restore point.

Discus and support CCleaner blocking use of restore point. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Last night, I was taking some time to do some "deep" system cleaning. Basically having Kaspersky first do a full system deep scan. Then having CCleaner... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jayv2251, Jun 29, 2017.

1. jayv2251 Win User

CCleaner blocking use of restore point.

Last night, I was taking some time to do some "deep" system cleaning. Basically having Kaspersky first do a full system deep scan. Then having CCleaner do a system check for file bloat and corrupt registry files. Everything looked fine. Kaspersky didn't find anything, so both my hard drives got good marks. CCleaner didn't find too much out of sorts in registry, few broken keys left over from deleting a few programs, and that's about it.

What I didn't notice, after I did all this I had to do a reboot. Then just now I wanted to logon to one of my jobs via Chrome, when I realized Chrome was gone!!! It gets even more bazar then this. I can see Chrome in the C:\program files (X86)\Google\Chrome. But there's no .exe file.

Time is of the essence here folks. I work from home doing contract work. I'm currently working for 2 different companies as a 1099 independent contractor. These two jobs are my only source for income, such as they are, so it's imperative that I get this fixed asap!

What to do next? Widows 10 only "sees" one restore point but won't use it, because it's over 10 days old. CCleaner has 2 restore points listed. The first was done on 6/14, so I assume this is the one Windows "sees". CCleaner has 2nd one done only 7 days ago on the 23rd. But for "system safety" according to CCleaner, has been disabled, preventing Windows from seeing it, or letting me use it.

Before anyone suggest that I just delete or clean out what's left of Chrome and reinstall it. I have thought of this, but I'm hoping to avoid this, if I can just get that restore point that CCleaner is hogging, I would avoid a huge head ache. One of the jobs I work is Amazon's Mechanical Turks. There's a very basic program you get from Amazon to do the work. Some folks with a bit of programing skills have written addon scripts that makes doing work for this program quicker, and more efficient. I use about 18 of these scripts doing my work daily. So after installing Chrome again, then setting up all these addon files would be a royal PIA that would take me pretty much the rest of the day to reconfigure after installing them again. I would really like to avoid doing that! What can I do?

:)

jayv2251, Jun 29, 2017

2. cannot delete Windows 10 old restore points

You are having hard drive space issues, most people consider "memory" more of the term for short-term storage (RAM...)

Tried
    CCleaner
    ?

CCleaner.com - Removing System Restore points

** Just get the FREE version, use it via the instructions above and see if that resolves your issue (if your problem is actually restore points - as that seems quite large for a restore point set on such a SMALL drive.)

Shenan Stanley, Jun 29, 2017
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Deleting 1 recovery point ONLY is it feasible in WIndows10?

There is no way I am aware of to delete a single System Restore point in Windows , but you can delete single restore points

(except the most recent) via the Tools > System Restore option in the free version of
    CCleaner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

( Note: While CCleaner has a Registry 'cleaner' in it's kit, using this, or any Registry cleaner is not recommended. )

BossDweeb, Jun 29, 2017
  4. Bastet Win User

Afaik CCleaner disables the latest restore point within its program only - purely so that the program will not delete it when cleaning the restore points, it should show under system restore itself - you may have to choose show more restore points.
    It's usually the self protection setting within anti virus software which can prevent system restore from working/completing.

Bastet, Jun 29, 2017
  5. jayv2251 Win User
    I'm receiving the following message from Windows 10 in the Update and Security menu. It says "This Option is no longer available because your PC upgraded more then 10 days ago."

Are you suggesting that I turn off my virus software (Kaspersky) and then the "blocked" restore point will suddenly appear?

jayv2251, Jun 29, 2017
  6. Bastet Win User
    That message appears if your trying to return to a previous version of Windows 10 after an upgrade & it's been 10 days since it was done. System restore is different. Can you clarify which you are trying to do?
    No by disabling your av software it won't make the restore point appear. When you use system restore there's an option to show more restore points however these are usually older than the ones on show.

Bastet, Jun 30, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    Ccleaner is a nice tool to clean cache, cookies, files etc.
    All too often (it just a matter of time) registry cleaning leads to problems.
    Most web sites recommend only using Ccleaner for non-registry cleaning.
    Now you need to check the integrity of the operating system. The scannow and restorehealth commands only check some parts of the operating system/registry. If there are problems then the best option if you have no valid restore points is an in place upgrade repair saving your files and applications. You may be able to simply uninstall the browser and reinstall it. The problem is this: did Ccleaner only cause you problems with chrome or are there other problems? Or did Ccleaner have nothing to do with the chrome problem?

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:

1) winver (in the pop up about windows > view your windows version and build > type this information into the thread)

2) sfc /scannow

3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4) chkdsk /scan

When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on copy > paste into the thread

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. CCleaner blocking use of restore point. - Similar Threads - CCleaner blocking restore

2. Error 0x8004F231F blocking manual creation of a restore point.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error 0x8004F231F blocking manual creation of a restore point.: When I go to System Protection to try to create a restore point before making some changes I get the error code 0x8004F231F claiming that there wasn't enough space to create shadow copy files or data. This error will persist even after deleting the three previous restore...
  3. small amount used by restore points

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    small amount used by restore points: 2004 [img] 162698
  4. Restore Point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Point: Hi, I have win 10 pro installed and want to make a restore point but when I try to acess the app it says something like "windows cannot access the device, path of specific file. The user may not have the necessary permissions to access that item". Sorry, but I have the...
  5. BSOD After Using A Restore Point

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD After Using A Restore Point: So I have a ASUS X550IK, I bought it 1.5 year ago and I haven't cleaned it since. Today, I used a restore point and after it was done, it restarted and boot me into a select account section but it doesn't show my account even though my account is signed in as administrator....
  6. Cannot create a restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a restore point: I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but when I go to create a restore point I get a message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error might not reoccur. Please try...
  7. Restore System using restore point

Restore System using restore point: Hello, Had to use a recent restore point. Started the restore, made a list what will be affected, and it started. After waiting about 25 minutes I got an error notice that restore was not succesful because of anti virus (?). The only antivirus on my system is windows...
  8. Using Restore Points

Using Restore Points: found this: v [img] Still confused about restore point. Found this, says it's off. Shouldn't I click 'configure' to set this up to be able to set some 'restore points' now and then? If things got cranky, fix it up easily "...by reverting your computer to a previous restore...
  9. Using Restore Points

in Windows 10 Support
    Using Restore Points: found this: v [img] Still confused about restore point. Found this, says it's off. Shouldn't I click 'configure' to set this up to be able to set some 'restore points' now and then? If things got cranky, fix it up easily "...by reverting your computer to a previous restore...
  10. how to block or save a restore point

how to block or save a restore point: The restore point has saved my time sometime specially when the machine becomes unmanageable. Unfortunately often I found the last restore point available corrupted (the first working one has been overwritten - not present in the list - ). I know in this way I loose updates...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can widows 10 be restored to more than one restore point?