Windows 10: CCleaner in Windows 10

Discus and support CCleaner in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Heres a statement I've just seen on the Piriform Forums. 10 will not fully be compatible with ccleaner until late july early august I imagine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Clint, Oct 4, 2014.

1. swarfega Win User

CCleaner in Windows 10

Heres a statement I've just seen on the Piriform Forums.

I imagine that file cleaning will be ok but don't go near registry cleaning for now.

swarfega, Jun 25, 2015
  2. jyusa Win User

I believe that M$ will provide a auto Registry Cleaner like the way M$'s Defender doing in the near future.

jyusa, Jul 21, 2015
  3. flhthemi Win User
    Dunno if this was a CC Cleaner problem or not..

Here is the setup...

I have a drive tray
    I swap C drives to use different OSs
    I also have a D drive - Internal mount
    I have NEVER had any issues doing this, until Win 10 and MAYBE CC CLeaner

What happened? I Had Win 10 drive in the C bay D drive is internally mounted. I ran CC and cleaned the registry. A LOT of crud was there and I backed up the files and did the Fix. Then scanned again and found more and repeated the process. I shut down Win 10. Took out the C drive and inserted the Win 7 C drive and booted up and Scandisk ran and did a lot to a lot of files. Turns out the files were on the D drive. Now Win 7 boots but D drive is there but can not be accessed due to no permission. So I setup permissions and got access back. Now I eventually shut win 7 down and boot Win 10. Same deal, scandisk runs and the Win 10 boots and D drive has no access. So...dunno what the problem is but there is one. Could be a Win 10 thing, could be CC Cleaner...I'll never know for sure as I don't think I'm slick enough to figure it out.

So I'll Reformat D drive and reformat the Win 10 drive and install Win 10 again but this time NO CC Cleaner!

flhthemi, Aug 12, 2015
  4. CCleaner in Windows 10

When you have created backup, just restore it by merging it into registry, that might fix it.

TairikuOkami, Aug 12, 2015
  5. flhthemi Win User
    Right now, for the past 15 hours actually, I have Western Digital's WD Diag software doing a slow erase on the drive. The drive has passed all the other tests. I'm doing this to try to rule out a hard disk failure. When It's done, I'll format it, then restore the CC backup reg files from that day and see what happens.

flhthemi, Aug 12, 2015
  6. swarfega Win User
    Defender does not clean the registry except for malware and other related items. It doesn't do it in the same way ccleaner does.

swarfega, Aug 12, 2015
  7. Dch48 Win User
    That is not a fact at all. The registry cleaning function in CCleaner is totally safe, to the point where I don't even bother backing up the changes it makes and have never had a problem. It made a big improvement in Win 10 after the upgrade by eliminating all the now invalid entries. You may not see any improvement in performance after every use of it but the cumulative effects are there. Use it on a system that has not been cleaned in years and you will notice improved boot times and app loading and performance.

Dch48, Aug 13, 2015
  8. PJD
    pjd Win User

CCleaner in Windows 10

I can attest to that.

In Win7 I was in the habit of blithely running the registry cleaner and clicking remove all without even looking.

After upgrading to 10 I discovered I had a boatload of crap that was obfuscating things like Autoruns etc. So I ran CCleaner Registry Cleaner as I have been doing. It created absolute havoc. However I had taken a Restore Point shortly before I did that so no significant harm done.

Piriform should show a warning when the program is run advising that Registry Cleaning on Win 10 should be used with abundant caution. I had a couple of other utilities do that.

9. flhthemi Win User
    I'm pretty sure the problem I have is NOT CC nor is it Win 10. I think, even though all the WD diag tests were passed, my drive is bad. On either 10 or 7 if I copy large files to it from the C drive it's slow! Like 9 gb of large files was estimated at over 2 hours. Same exact files to a USB 2.0 port about 6 minutes and my P4 isn't bogged down to the point of no return. I tried to open the task manager while it was copying to the bad drive and had to wait about 2-3 minutes for it to open. Using a good drive it popped right up. Yeah I know, a P4 is old, but hey it runs Win 10 I've had it since 2006 and just use it now to play on the internet....

EDIT: I bought a new WD Hard Drive and installed it, got the same results: leaving the drive as D:, booting back and forth between Win 7 and Win 10 - Each time I return to Win 7 at bootup it wants to run scandisk. So, it wasn't CC Cleaner and it wasn't a bad hard drive. Something about Win 10 is different and I don't know what else to do. So I'm going to run a drive tray on the D: drives too. One drive for Win 7 and one for Win 10. I'm left wondering if it's a bug or by design.

flhthemi, Aug 13, 2015
  10. badrobot Win User
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Sure.
    All it does is call the same uninstall routine as you would from Control Panel or Settings so no reason I can see why it shouldn't work.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 27, 2015
  12. Berton Win User
    Agreed. However, if there is a problem with the Uninstall in Programs and Features CCleaner may also have the problem which may require a brute-force measure. In such a case I haven't used a particular one but only a couple of times, not enough to verify its accuracy and stability so I don't provide a link for it.

Berton, Oct 27, 2015
  13. Hully Win User

CCleaner in Windows 10

Hi all

Anyone ever used the Duplicate Finder Tool? I've run it just for curiosity it found loads but that was it, didn't dare go any further... Anyone?

Hully, Oct 30, 2015
  14. Just tried it, it found only legitimate files, I would not dare to click on delete to cripple my apps.

TairikuOkami, Oct 30, 2015
  15. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Generally speaking it's not worth it deleting them. They're often there for a reason even though some shouldn't be if you know what I mean. MS office is well known to scatter duplicate libraries around.
    On my system I wouldn't even gain 50 Mb so why bother ?

Still, make a back up and give it a try if you must. Chances are you won't notice any program complaining about a missing file for a long time but when it does it's going to take more effort to straighten it out then whatever space on the disk you're gaining by deleting them.

Oh, never delete all duplicates or you're in even bigger trouble then.

To summarize, if you know what you're doing and are willing to suffer the consequences of a mistake the fine, if in doubt don't touch them.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 30, 2015
Thema:

CCleaner in Windows 10

1. CCleaner in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - CCleaner

2. CCleaner stops me from downloading stuff

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CCleaner stops me from downloading stuff: From one of my disks I've tried to download stuff it comes up with error saying "You don't have perms to download/save to this file" Its not exactly what it says but yeah. Ever since I downloaded it. It had stopped me downloading stuff....
  3. CCleaner stops me from downloading stuff

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CCleaner stops me from downloading stuff: From one of my disks I've tried to download stuff it comes up with error saying "You don't have perms to download/save to this file" Its not exactly what it says but yeah. Ever since I downloaded it. It had stopped me downloading stuff....
  4. Ccleaner it is having a problem.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ccleaner it is having a problem.: Yes, I have CCleaner we have had Microsoft CCleaner and HP Smart Friend they all could not get it correct. When it runs the health it cleans the Junk one of the best cleaners for me for the last 10 years. Know the Security is grayed out. Says not hook to internet or cannot...
  5. Ccleaner it is having a problem.

Ccleaner it is having a problem.: Yes, I have CCleaner we have had Microsoft CCleaner and HP Smart Friend they all could not get it correct. When it runs the health it cleans the Junk one of the best cleaners for me for the last 10 years. Know the Security is grayed out. Says not hook to internet or cannot...
  6. Ccleaner it is having a problem.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Re: Screen driver needed and Ccleaner help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Re: Screen driver needed and Ccleaner help: I was having trouble with my puter and microsoft did a windows 10 update for it. Now I can't get the resolution back to what it was before as I need a driver and no idea on how to install one? It is hard on my eyes now to read stuff as the writing is too small.I also use the...
  8. Re: Screen driver needed and Ccleaner help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re: Screen driver needed and Ccleaner help: I was having trouble with my puter and microsoft did a windows 10 update for it. Now I can't get the resolution back to what it was before as I need a driver and no idea on how to install one? It is hard on my eyes now to read stuff as the writing is too small.I also use the...
  9. Re: Screen driver needed and Ccleaner help

10. Is CCleaner safe or effective?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is CCleaner safe or effective?: I have been using CCleaner for a while now. However recently I have heard that it is not safe or effective. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-ccleaner-safe-or-effective/1a8fa485-f1be-4d47-9bfb-b9694b3cc7d6