Windows 10: CCleaner Ironically Defeats One Privacy Protection for Edge

Discus and support CCleaner Ironically Defeats One Privacy Protection for Edge in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; CCleaner ironically defeats a privacy objective in forcing closure of Edge. It cleans history for future app access to this data, BUT because it closes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by mrhagerty, Jun 19, 2016.

1. mrhagerty Win User

CCleaner Ironically Defeats One Privacy Protection for Edge

CCleaner ironically defeats a privacy objective in forcing closure of Edge. It cleans history for future app access to this data, BUT because it closes Edge before cleaning, it doesn't prevent Edge from sending your browser actions and history to Microsoft, which happens immediately on browser close, acc to Microsoft. You have to remember to manually clear history before closing Edge (if that isn't a clever lie) and that's a habit you may not develop easily.

:)

mrhagerty, Jun 19, 2016

2. Can't watch Sky go extra on Microsoft Edge

Is Microsoft doing anything to allow sky go in edge - it defeats the purpose of wanting viewers to use edge. Just one of the many drawbacks of edge.

DavidWemyss, Jun 19, 2016
  3. Edge versus McAfee WebAdvisor

I do not understand why McAfee and Edge do not peacefully coexist, in that Mc tells me that Edge does not permit browser extensions so that it may continue to protect my ID, recommending I go back to an older search engine, such as Internet Explorer. Just
    one more detail for software folks to iron out, is it?

[Moved from Internet Explorer]

David Hancock 1997, Jun 19, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

I am unable to reproduce Edge sending data to Microsoft when it's closed.

1) I loaded the page that we're on and let the network traffic settle.

2) Started network traffic capture

3) Ran CCleaner, selecting 'Yes' for the 'Close Edge and Internet Explorer' prompt (which closed Edge and deleted history).

In the Edge settings I have Edge set to sync Favourites and Reading List across windows devices as I have a Windows Phone, so it will sync, but it doesn't do it on browser close.

In Windows Settings > Accounts > Sync Your Settings I have Theme, Internet Explorer Settings and Passwords set to off. However, the bottom three are set to on so they will sync, but they don't do it on browser close.

As you can see from the below screenshot, Edge didn't send any data at all when it was closed by CCleaner. The green lines are non-public local traffic between my router and my PC. The line in the middle is a DNS request for www[.]piriform.com, which occurred when I opened CCleaner. No actual traffic is captured going to/from www[.]piriform.com because I don't have CCleaner whitelisted in my outbound firewall rules. Therefore, I can't reproduce what you are experiencing, Edge just closes for me.

CCleaner Ironically Defeats One Privacy Protection for Edge [​IMG]

However, even disregarding ISP/DNS logs, unfortunately you have very little privacy of what sites you're visiting on the internet anyway. I once blocked all Google and Google owned company domains from loading any content, but I had to reverse it soon afterwards because it broke too many websites. It's incredible the amount of requests browsers make to Google servers, even on webpages that don't even run any ads and I'd be surprised if Google doesn't use that data. In addition, security features like URL reputation checking that check websites people visit/download from aren't phishing/malicious websites would also know what websites people are visiting, but to disable those security features would pose a much greater threat than being tracked. It's a bit of an uphill struggle I'm afraid.

Regardless, in the 14267 PC preview build of Windows 10, Microsoft introduced the option to "Clear browsing data when you exit Microsoft Edge" so you shouldn't need to manually clear the history soon. I'm not an insider so I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully the rest of us will get this option in just over a month when the Anniversary/Redstone update is released.

ARC1020, Jun 19, 2016
  5. mrhagerty Win User
    Thanks for actually testing this. In researching this, a Microsoft support article stated that MS did not collect as web sites were visited but only after the browser closes. Perhaps a manual close is what they meant, or a chron job runs on the database when I close Win 10 on shut down. Anyway, thanks for following up.

mrhagerty, Jun 19, 2016
  6. dmesal Win User
    would turning off connection to internet before closing the webpage do the trick then clear history and then restart? just a thought i like airplane mode or a hard wired switch like my old midern laptop.

dmesal, Jun 19, 2016
  7. ARC1020 Win User
    I haven't come across that article although when data is actually being sent is a bit irrelevant if you don't want Edge to send any of your browsing history at all. Therefore I'd read through the Edge FAQ article and follow the instructions accordingly: (Note: There's a separate Cortana FAQ article)

I should have mentioned in the above post, I had both of these turned off.

In the Microsoft Privacy Statement, it also mentions browsing history for Internet Explorer being synced if the setting is switched on in 'Sync Settings'.

ARC1020, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. CCleaner Ironically Defeats One Privacy Protection for Edge - Similar Threads - CCleaner Ironically Defeats

2. CCleaner and CCleaner Browser - Privacy and PC Health

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    CCleaner and CCleaner Browser - Privacy and PC Health: Greetings,I've been using CCleaner from time to time and was wondering if this is a good idea in terms of privacy and the health of my PC. I've found mixed advice on CCleaner, some appraising as a wonderful piece of software and others downright calling it malware. I've never...
  3. Iron Python

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Iron Python: This product was property of the Microsoft, this is a implementation of a Python. I have dificulty to install IronPython API, using Visual Studio Professional 2019. How i do? I need install the iron python on the environment. I need 2 environment on my program. Someone can...
  4. MS Edge Chromium and CCleaner

in Browsers and Email
    MS Edge Chromium and CCleaner: Not recognized, tried adding Custom Location in ini file but didn't work, anyone have it working? 147377
  5. One vs The Other, Privacy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One vs The Other, Privacy: I hope this is the right forums for this. Been reading threads around here and was wondering; is the preference (and why) on two programs I keep seeing? O&O Shutup10 vs Windows Privacy Dashboard I see some use one over the other. Read myself and it seems that WPD has a...
  6. Microsoft Edge and CCleaner (v5.42.6499).

Microsoft Edge and CCleaner (v5.42.6499).: I use W10 and IE10 and Firefox, not Edge. Just recently found CCleaner now skips IE Temp Int Files, History and Cookies. Reverted to earlier version, same. A Google search suggested this could be due to something running in the background. Looking in Task Manager, I found IE...
  7. Protect Your Privacy

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Protect Your Privacy: How to Fight Back Against Congresss Attack on FCC Privacy Rules TThis is merely an intro into keeping your ISP from gathering and selling your information. 80844
  8. CCleaner removal of cookies and privacy

CCleaner removal of cookies and privacy: Amazon knows me: hello ..... Although I use a vpn, I am registered by my cookies (I presume). Using CCleaner you are able to clean/remove your cookies. This works for Firefox. Amazon doesnot recognize me anymore. However, it does not work for Internet Explorer (my...
  9. CCleaner Wants to Close Edge

CCleaner Wants to Close Edge: I'm not using Edge but I am using IE 11. Any idea why CCleaner wants to close Edge ever time I run the cleaner?? If I'm not using it why is it open? James 47521
  10. Startup LogIn-want to defeat it

in Windows 10 Support
    Startup LogIn-want to defeat it: How do I defeat login or giving a pass code on startup? They gave me a security code thru email but I really don't want to use it. Can I defeat it??? 52036