Windows 10: CCleaner Wants to Close Edge

Discus and support CCleaner Wants to Close Edge in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm not using Edge but I am using IE 11. Any idea why CCleaner wants to close Edge ever time I run the cleaner?? If I'm not using it why is it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JamesJoey, Apr 16, 2016.

1. JamesJoey Win User

CCleaner Wants to Close Edge

I'm not using Edge but I am using IE 11.

Any idea why CCleaner wants to close Edge ever time I run the cleaner??
    If I'm not using it why is it open?

James

:)

JamesJoey, Apr 16, 2016

2. Edge, Page Hijack

I had the same problem. I force closed Edge. Ran Ccleaner. Problem solved.

schenectadypc, Apr 16, 2016
  3. Tobus' Win User
    Internet Explorer & MS Edge turning on(and staying on) upon startup by themselves.

Every time I use my "C Cleaner", when I hit "Run Cleaner" this message pops up. " Microsoft Edge Cache Database and Internet Explorer needs to be closed to clean Internet cache. Do you want CCleaner to close Microsoft Edge Cache Database and Internet Explorer?".
    Does anyone happen to know why they do this, and possibly, how do I stop them from doing this? Any,and all, help would be awesome! Thank You!

Tobus', Apr 16, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Really ?
    I use CCleaner regularly. It's the only disk cleaner I use.
    I am using IE11 too, exclusively.
    CCleaner never asks me to close Edge when I run it.

davidhk, Apr 16, 2016
  5. BunnyJ New Member
  6. sml156 Win User
    I was wondering the same thing several months ago and found this on the developers site.

MrJ Piriform Staff member had this to say

I think many TenForums users will find that thread a little interesting, The one I found most interesting was this post.
    http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?...41#entry265556

There is also a checkbox you can click to stop it asking you.

sml156, Apr 16, 2016
  7. The only reason it asks to close Edge Browser or IE11 is so it can do a proper clean otherwise it will skip several files

hTconeM9user, Apr 16, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

davidhk, Apr 16, 2016
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    No problem I remembered that was an issue.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 16, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    The thread was dated September.
    I wasn't a member until November.
    Probably that's why I did not see that.

davidhk, Apr 16, 2016
  11. JamesJoey Win User
    I'm assuming you're using windos 10.
    When I get this message I before I click OK I check Task Manager and I don't see Edge listed.
    Also, I assume I can stop this message by unthinking all the Edge items in ccleaner.

JamesJoey, Apr 16, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    I don't think you need to do that.
    Notice the screenshot in post #6 ?
    Check the box that says " Do not show me this message again ". I think that will do the trick.

davidhk, Apr 16, 2016
  13. sml156 Win User

Did you read the answer I posted (4) it is not necessarily Edge that is causing that message box, Other programs use the same database as Edge and CCleaner thinks Edge has to be closed to clean up those folders, If it was possible to uninstall Edge you would probably get the same message if other programs are using the database.

And yes unchecking all the Edge boxes in applications will more than likely get rid of that message

sml156, Apr 16, 2016
  14. JamesJoey Win User
    Ok.
    Sure makes for a lot of confusion.
    Maybe the message should read 'Edge and other programs'

Thanks to all for the help,
    James

JamesJoey, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. CCleaner Wants to Close Edge - Similar Threads - CCleaner Wants Close

2. edge closing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    edge closing: Edge closing unexpectedly and there is a Restore button. When I push it, it goes away. Its kind of annoying and I dont want it that way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-closing/9b27d03c-861f-4fe2-917c-3775a451244e
  3. edge closing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    edge closing: Edge closing unexpectedly and there is a Restore button. When I push it, it goes away. Its kind of annoying and I dont want it that way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-closing/9b27d03c-861f-4fe2-917c-3775a451244e
  4. CCleaner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CCleaner: when I select Ccleaner it's too big for the screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ccleaner/4d3f2c1b-8d6b-4184-bd8d-d2ce7a44e72d
  5. MS Edge Chromium and CCleaner

in Browsers and Email
    MS Edge Chromium and CCleaner: Not recognized, tried adding Custom Location in ini file but didn't work, anyone have it working? 147377
  6. Microsoft Edge and CCleaner (v5.42.6499).

Microsoft Edge and CCleaner (v5.42.6499).: I use W10 and IE10 and Firefox, not Edge. Just recently found CCleaner now skips IE Temp Int Files, History and Cookies. Reverted to earlier version, same. A Google search suggested this could be due to something running in the background. Looking in Task Manager, I found IE...
  7. Edge not closing

in Browsers and Email
    Edge not closing: I have windows 10 professional. Microsoft Edge is not closing properly. I press x and nothing happens. I have to use task manager to close edge. I can browse pages and some functions work. others dont, like i cannot open a new window and No history is being saved either....
  8. Microsoft Edge - Do You Want To Close All Tabs

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge - Do You Want To Close All Tabs: Hi All, I accidently put a tick in "Always Close All Tabs" when closing down Edge, how can I change this back as I don't want this setting, I thought it might be called "warnonclose" like IE within the Registry, however this is not the case. I cannot see within the...
  9. CCleaner needs to close microsoft edge and internet explorer?

CCleaner needs to close microsoft edge and internet explorer?: I ran CCleaner today (Great program by the way!), like I do every couple weeks, and it said that edge and internet explorer needed to close to finish. Thing is, I use neither. So Do they auto run in the background? How can I keep them from starting? 24555
  10. Ccleaner

Ccleaner: Each time I log into my user profile, Ccleaner asks for permissions to run. How can I stop this? Note: I could probably go to Google and research this problem, but I always like to hear something from this forum as I trust you guys and your solutions as they always...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ccleaner cant close edge

2. why must Ccleaner request to force close a browser

3. ccleaner edge not closed

4. ccleaner close edge,
  5. ccleaner says edge must be closed when it already is,
  6. ccleaner forced to close edge,
  7. cccleaner has to force close edge,
  8. why ccleaner sayes edge working,
  9. ccleaner wants to close edge,
  10. why cant ccleaner close edge,
  11. ccleaner says edge browser needs to be closed,