Windows 10: CD drive has disappeared, and new HDD partition has appeared (empty)

Discus and support CD drive has disappeared, and new HDD partition has appeared (empty) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Can I just un-install the upgrade? Why do I need it? Curious and time is too short to fiddle about with all the options i see re fixing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MRT-qq, Jul 8, 2018.

1. MRT-qq Win User

CD drive has disappeared, and new HDD partition has appeared (empty)

Can I just un-install the upgrade? Why do I need it?

Curious and time is too short to fiddle about with all the options i see re fixing

:)

MRT-qq, Jul 8, 2018
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jul 8, 2018
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    New partitions appear in my device (laptop)

Hi,

There are several reasons why a new partition appear in your laptop. To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes prior to this issue?
    • What other troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Can you send us a screenshot where you see the new partition?

Regards.

Eric Ber, Jul 8, 2018
  4. Testing Win User

HDD drive setting

I've added a new HDD to the system but it has not been given a drive label.

Device manager read the HDD after first O/S boot, and sees properly what it is. It also states the drive is working properly and drivers are most recent.

Yet I cannot see or access the drive (my computer, dos etc).

Physically the connections are well. The HDD has no jumpers and is running off the slave connection of the cable. Bios however, states that group 2 is CD drives, group 3 is HDD drives and group 4 is networking drives. It also states that the main HDD is on the the third controller, on it's own, while the new HDD is a slave to the second controller where the master is the CD drive.

Oddly enough, the group 3 HDD priority lists the new HDD as main, and the original HDD as secondary, yet the computer boots straight off the main(original) HDD without a hitch.

The main HDD is also paritioned (safety recovery partition) so effectively it's using C: and D:.

E: is for the CD. F,G,H,I are removable usb storage and J: is a virtual CD drive.

I tried to take a stab at command line with "K:" but invalid.

Testing, Jul 8, 2018
Thema:

1. CD drive has disappeared, and new HDD partition has appeared (empty) - Similar Threads - drive has disappeared

2. Hard drive partition has disappeared.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive partition has disappeared.: Hi everyone,All my partitions are gone except for the C drive; they are not shown in the disk management as well. The crazy part is that they come back sometimes in the day and I can use the data and software that are installed in those drives! they keep coming back and going...
  3. Hard drive partition has disappeared.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive partition has disappeared.: Hi everyone,All my partitions are gone except for the C drive; they are not shown in the disk management as well. The crazy part is that they come back sometimes in the day and I can use the data and software that are installed in those drives! they keep coming back and going...
  4. new "program" has appeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    new "program" has appeared: I have a Surface 3 with Windows 10. Now when I start up and the desktop displays I get a pop-up box saying there is a program named "program" on the C drive that may cause problems with opening apps unless I rename it "program1". There is a file recently modified not by me as...
  5. new "program" has appeared

new "program" has appeared: I have a Surface 3 with Windows 10. Now when I start up and the desktop displays I get a pop-up box saying there is a program named "program" on the C drive that may cause problems with opening apps unless I rename it "program1". There is a file recently modified not by me as...
  6. Drive F has disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive F has disappeared: drive F is missing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-f-has-disappeared/71d7fe33-744d-4540-9275-31b59f568ffc
  7. Drive F has disappeared

Drive F has disappeared: drive F is missing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-f-has-disappeared/71d7fe33-744d-4540-9275-31b59f568ffc
  8. Drive F has disappeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. DVD drive has disappeared

DVD drive has disappeared: DVD drive no longer appears as a device. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-drive-has-disappeared/3d6e93f2-a2d3-490e-a40e-a467b68b617a
  10. HDD disappeared showing two empty partitions

HDD disappeared showing two empty partitions: My D: disk disconnected and when I rebooted it showed up as two empty partitions. One of them I can't do anything with, the other I can't access without formatting, which I want to avoid if possible. No clue how this happened since it was working literally minutes ago, but...