Windows 10: CD/DVD Drive has become invisible - Win10 Home x64 and Pro x32

Discus and support CD/DVD Drive has become invisible - Win10 Home x64 and Pro x32 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Both my main workstation (Win10 Home x64 v 1803) and Laptop (Win 10 Pro x32 1709) have developed an issue with the CD/DVD Drive which they never had a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sam Vimes, May 15, 2018.

1. Sam Vimes Win User

CD/DVD Drive has become invisible - Win10 Home x64 and Pro x32

Both my main workstation (Win10 Home x64 v 1803) and Laptop (Win 10 Pro x32 1709) have developed an issue with the CD/DVD Drive which they never had a couple of weeks back prior to another round of unwanted updates.

One specific program - Makemkv - reports it cannot find any optical drives when launched, but if a disk is opened manually via File > Open it works ok. Of course this may be just a program specific problem and I've posted a question on the relevant forum, as all other programs work OK.

But things have become worse.

On the laptop, the CD/DVD drive is now totally invisible to any program and doesn't appear even in Windows Explorer - it does show in Device Manager. I've tried resetting Windows but the problem still exists.

I'm just about to do a clean install on the laptop to see if this fixes things but any other suggestions would be welcome. I don't really want to do a clean install on my Workstation but the laptop is only a 'play' machine so that's not a problem.

Thanks.
    PS: Just tried a another play machine with Home x64 v1709 and Makemkv works ok on this one.

:)

Sam Vimes, May 15, 2018
  2. Hilman_10 Win User

Problems with DVD/CD Drive

I've got a refurbished PC with Win7 Pro and updated it to Win10 Pro. When I've tried to install software through a DVD, the PC cannot read the DVD. I have tried almost all suggestions from the internet, like uninstall the drivers and delete the lower and
    upper filter from the registry (but I don't have those files, so I didn't do it) etc. but still no hope.

The driver is TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C.

In the command prompt, when I've entered `diskpart` and then `list volume`, it says my Volume 0 to be type of `CD-ROM` and not `DVD-ROM`. Is that the problem? What should I do to solve this? Do I need to downgrade back?

Could it mean the drive itself is a CD-ROM drive? But with nowadays standard, I don't think that is the case.

Hilman_10, May 15, 2018
  3. rvail317 Win User
    "upgrade in place" Win10 Home x64 TH2 (build 10586) to Win10 Home x64 AU

Thanks for your reply.

However, your linked page with the screen captures varies from what I'm seeing, after "Wait while Windows 10 setup checks your system." At that point, I'm getting a screen where the 25 character activation code
    must be entered, with no "skip" option. And: your set of screen captures example is for upgrading Windows 10
    Pro, where my issue is with upgrading Windows 10 Home x64. The upgrade procedure for Pro does not halt and require typing in the activation code, whereas the Home upgrade procedure does require, with no "skip" option.

Note: the PC originally came from the factory with Win7 Home x64 installed, and was subsequently upgraded by the customer to Win10 Home x64 TH2.

The 2 separate issues are:

1. What is the link for the proper .iso file recommended for creating the USB thumb drive which can then be used for "in place" ( not "clean install") update upgrading a Win10
    Home x64 TH2 system to Win 10 Home x64 AU (build 14393)?

2. Why does the .iso version [converted to a USB thumb drive, that's already proved capable of updating Win10
    Pro TH2 to AU (build 14393)] insist on being given a 25 character code when the
    Home version PC's Win10 TH2 version is already currently running & activated?

Note: AFAIK, a single USB thumb drive (of at least 8 Gb) could be created that would be able to update both Win10 Pro x64 and Home x64 to AU build 14393, and that could serve dual-duty as both a "clean install" media as well as an "update in place install"
    media. When used to "clean install", one could boot the system from the USB thumb drive, delete all existing HD/SSD partitions & create new partitions, install Win10 x64 AU build 14393, skip entering the 25 character code, then after eventually booting to
    the Windows desktop, type in the previously used 25 character code that was activated before doing the complete HD wipe and clean install. The particular 25 character code being used would then determine which Windows 10 version would become finalized: Pro
    vs. Home.

rvail317, May 15, 2018
Thema:

CD/DVD Drive has become invisible - Win10 Home x64 and Pro x32

1. CD/DVD Drive has become invisible - Win10 Home x64 and Pro x32 - Similar Threads - DVD Drive has

2. reinstalling Win10 x32 to x64

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reinstalling Win10 x32 to x64: When I purchased an old desktop years ago, it had win7 pro x32. When I went thorough the update, I then got win10 x32. There's no reason that I know of that this machine couldn't be running the x64 version. And given it's old, I would prefer that so I can recognize more...
  3. reinstalling Win10 x32 to x64

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    reinstalling Win10 x32 to x64: When I purchased an old desktop years ago, it had win7 pro x32. When I went thorough the update, I then got win10 x32. There's no reason that I know of that this machine couldn't be running the x64 version. And given it's old, I would prefer that so I can recognize more...
  4. reinstalling Win10 x32 to x64

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Win7 Enterprise x32 to win10 x64

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win7 Enterprise x32 to win10 x64: Hey guys. I was given a PC from a storage room. Got it starting and It runs windows 7 enterprise 32 bit. Since this OS is outdated, I want to install windows 10 x64 bit. The problem I'm having here is: windowsmediatool does not support Enterprise version. I want a clean...
  6. cd/dvd drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cd/dvd drive: although previously working ok, my HP pavilion will not run cd/dvd, I think since Windows 10 updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/2052dead-0253-46dc-a189-ffe263dd0d15
  7. cd/dvd drive

cd/dvd drive: I have a new/used laptop and can't see the files from my cd/dvd drive. Device manager says drive is working properly, but it's not. Can someone help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/4a1c6a9a-0e94-4804-9a7f-b7f99b2d551a
  8. Conversion of x64 to x32

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Conversion of x64 to x32: My system works slow on 64bit computer as the ram is 1.25GB so I want to convert it into 32bit.... Is there any option how I can convert x64 to x32 without using any CD or DVD Plzz help......
  9. CD/DVD Drive

CD/DVD Drive: I am having problems with the CD/DVD Drive on my 5yr old (I think) Sony Vaio Laptop. When I put in a CD or DVD it will spin 3-4 times but will not load. I am using Windows 10 however I think it was working for a while after I got Windows 10. I have tried uninstalling and...
  10. No CD/DVD drive

No CD/DVD drive: After installing Microsofts Windows 10 upgrade I have found that it does not see my CD/DVD drive, I did have this problem once before with Windows 7 but was able to download a program from Microsoft called MrFixit.dvd.exe, when I tried running the software it reported that my...