Windows 10: CD/DVD Drive Missing in File Explorer And Device Manager.

Discus and support CD/DVD Drive Missing in File Explorer And Device Manager. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, title says it all. I'm having problems with my computer CD/DvD drive where its not shown in File Explorer As (D: ) or even shown in Device Manager.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kai82, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Kai82 Win User

CD/DVD Drive Missing in File Explorer And Device Manager.

Hi, title says it all. I'm having problems with my computer CD/DvD drive where its not shown in File Explorer As (D: ) or even shown in Device Manager. I have tried inserting a disk and ejecting it out and it works fine. However the drive is just missing from the computer.

Laptop: Sony Vaio S Series

CD/DVD Drive Missing in File Explorer And Device Manager. [​IMG]

I have tried most of the fixes I have found on google and on the forums such as registry editing, uninstalling IDE ATA Controllers. Also, I found out that in my IDE ATA Controllers section, unlike others who have ATA Channel, mine doesnt shows that and instead only display - intel 7 series chipset family sata ahci controller.
    Only found out today that my disk drive was missing as i wanted to listen to a cd on my laptop.

Anyone has any ideas? Thanks!

:)

Kai82, Dec 10, 2016

2. CD/DVD ROM not recognised in windows 10

Thank you for reply to my question.The problem is not solved.

Already in my reporting the problem I said that in the device manager itself CD/DVD ROM drive is not shown and hence it is not possible to expand the CD/DVD ROM drive and do the things as told by you.

Problem in a nutshell: CD/DVD ROM drive is not shown in the device manager

CD/DVD ROM drive icon is not there in file explorer

I will be grateful for further assistance

Natarajan Venkataraman, Dec 10, 2016
  3. ordsallad Win User
    CD & DVD Drive Not Recognised in Windows 10 (Sometimes Works!)

Device Manager & Disc Management both see my DVD & CD drives, but File Explore, most of the time, doesn't ..... Un-installing the drives gets them recognised by Device Manager again, but not by File Explorer. No Troubleshooters sort it out.

Any suggestions?

ordsallad, Dec 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, as I recall some many months ago it was the case the drive would not be shown unless an optical medium was present. That changed (for me at least) so it's always shown.

You could try this free cautious tool:

Tweaking.com's repair tool (easy to find). Select only repair 18.

dalchina, Dec 10, 2016
  5. spunk Win User
    Boot into Setup (Bios) under System Information or the Main window, it should show all of your drives. Is the Optical (CD/DVD) drive showing? If not, it is either not inserted fully into the laptop, or it has failed.

spunk, Dec 11, 2016
  6. Kai82 Win User
    Hi! I have tried repairing with repair 18 however it still didnt work. Thanks still!

Kai82, Dec 11, 2016
  7. Kai82 Win User
    Hi spunk, I booted into the bios but im not sure if the optical drive is meant to be found in the main page of the bios. I have took some pictures (of bad quality sorry) and uploaded on imgur here Imgur

I also found out that the optical drive is still recognised in the boot priority options, does that in anyway shows that the optical drive is recognised? Even so, my computer doesnt boot the optical drive at start up as the optical drive would always make a loud sound when its booted up during startup before this problem happened.

Hope you could review the images in that link, Thanks!

Kai82, Dec 11, 2016
  8. spunk Win User

The Optical drive listing under the Boot tab is set by default and does not reflect whether there is an Optical drive or not.
    On The Main tab page, under the Hard Drive should list your CD drive if it was working.
    Just for a laugh, In the Bios, Under Security, or the Boot tab, select UEFI Bios and change it to Legacy, Save and Exit. Reboot back into the Bios and see if the CD drive shows up again.

spunk, Dec 11, 2016
  9. Kai82 Win User
    Well i guess I dont see the cd drive as a hard disk in bios, does it mean that it might have failed? Havent really tried out the legacy boot yet. Will try it out later.

Kai82, Dec 11, 2016
  10. spunk Win User
    Then it has failed and needs to be replaced.

spunk, Dec 12, 2016
  11. enigma101 Win User
    Have you checked under Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management tool? It may simply not have a drive letter allocated. Just a thought......

enigma101, Dec 12, 2016
  12. spunk Win User
    a good thought enigma, but if the optical drive is not in the Bios, it will not be listed under Disk Management.

spunk, Dec 12, 2016
  13. Kai82 Win User

Yep looks like its not found in Disk Management. Any more ideas? Or the cd drive is fully broken or probs not inserted to the laptop

Kai82, Dec 12, 2016
  14. enigma101 Win User
    You could try removing the optical drive & re-fitting it. Should be just one screw holding it in place & this is located on the underside (or bottom) of the machine. Please be aware that is based on other portable PCs i have worked on & i am not familiar with this particular machine.

enigma101, Dec 12, 2016
  15. Kai82 Win User
    Thanks For Your Suggestion! However, I dont want to trouble myself taking apart the laptop as I have another laptop which is able to run cd disks, just curious to see if it was possible to fix it on this computer without having to risk taking anything apart. Thanks alot for your help still! *Smile

Kai82, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. CD/DVD Drive Missing in File Explorer And Device Manager. - Similar Threads - DVD Drive Missing

2. CD/DVD drive not appearing in device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CD/DVD drive not appearing in device manager: External USB CD/DVD drive not appearing in device manager or file explorer. All other USB devices work correctly. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive-not-appearing-in-device-manager/f6ef9a8e-fc9d-4952-994f-8c96f04105ad
  3. CD/DVD drive not appearing in device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CD/DVD drive not appearing in device manager: External USB CD/DVD drive not appearing in device manager or file explorer. All other USB devices work correctly. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive-not-appearing-in-device-manager/f6ef9a8e-fc9d-4952-994f-8c96f04105ad
  4. CD/DVD drive not appearing in device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. DVD/CD drive missing

DVD/CD drive missing: Unable to find all drives except my C: drive. Even went into registry to try and delete upper and lower filters. They dont exist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-drive-missing/68b6d901-97d0-430b-81bd-67aebafa94cc
  6. Dvd and cd drive missing in device manager after update

Dvd and cd drive missing in device manager after update: Anybody had this issue recently AFTER LATEST UPDATE TO WINDOWS 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-and-cd-drive-missing-in-device-manager-after/de93bf81-b4ca-4eb1-9b3e-8e9e5a5a26ab
  7. CD/DVD Drive is not showing in File Manager

CD/DVD Drive is not showing in File Manager: Hello. I recently encounter a problem where my CD/DVD drive does not appear in File Manager. I tired the following methods already: 1. Clicked "Show hidden devices" in Device Manager but the dvd drive properties said "This hardware device is not connected to the computer....
  8. DVD drive missing in Explorer visible in Device Manager

DVD drive missing in Explorer visible in Device Manager: I have a Dell Optiplex 7020 that I just recently purchased. The system is set up for EUFI as boot. I had contacted the seller because in a normal boot sequence, an option to boot from CD or USB did not appear. I had been using the optical drive to install programs that I had...
  9. DVD/CD-Rom drives missing from Device Manager list

DVD/CD-Rom drives missing from Device Manager list: I've searched for the past couple of days trying to find a solution, but none of them have worked. It was originally on my device manager list, but I had a code 45 error and one of the solutions was to uninstall the drive then reboot. When I did that, I guess my system did...
  10. CD/DVD Drive not showing in device manager

CD/DVD Drive not showing in device manager: Hi all, Im all out of options, hope someone can help! Hopefully you can see the laptop details as I just entered them when signing up, if not just ask. CD DVD drive has diappeared from explorer and device manager. Its still listed in BIOS as a boot device (though just...