Windows 10: CD/DVD drive not recognized

Discus and support CD/DVD drive not recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 8. My Dell laptop does not see the DVD drive. I had no success getting the drive to work in Windows 8... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nwfrog, Jan 27, 2015.

1. nwfrog Win User

CD/DVD drive not recognized

I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 8. My Dell laptop does not see the DVD drive. I had no success getting the drive to work in Windows 8 and (maybe of course) it doesnt see it now. This seems to be a common problem I have tried numerous fixes but have not had success. What is the latest and greatest solution?

:)

nwfrog, Jan 27, 2015
  2. Bill Smithers, Jan 27, 2015
  3. What is a WCD43-0XA error on my CD drive?

Hi,

There are various reasons why a CD or DVD drive is not detected. For a list of resolutions that may solve this issue, check out the link below to access the support article from Microsoft on why your CD or DVD drive is not recognized.

Your CD or DVD Drive is Not Recognized By Windows

Let us know how that went.

Joanna 777, Jan 27, 2015
  4. badrobot Win User

what is the brand and model of your dvd drive? perhaps we can help you look for the right driver.

did that come with the PC? If so, what is the brand and model of your pc?

badrobot, Jan 27, 2015
  5. Does the DVD drive show up in the device manager? Is there a yellow triangle next to it?

orlbuckeye, Feb 1, 2015
  6. GaryCN Win User
    Error message (Update build 10041 has corrected this issue)

GaryCN, Mar 7, 2015
  7. My drive works fine in Windows 7. I used the drive to burn the iso to install Win 10, and I used the resultant DVD in the drive to install win10.

The drive is detected in Windows 7 using Belarc Advisor as
    "HL=DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device [CD-ROM Drive]"

But as you can see from the attached screen shot it does not show up as a drive in Win 10 Technical Preview, build 10041.

gingertech, Mar 25, 2015
  8. CD/DVD drive not recognized

Same problem but worse. I've an Unknown Device in Device Manager. Cannot get it recognized.
    Successfully ran command as Admin in Command Prompt: "reg.exe add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0 /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001" (saw in an 8 forum)
    Rebooted. Nothing. Missing from DM altogether.
    Weird, because I installed 10 from a DVD in this PC.
    HP 15-d020dx TouchSmart Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)
    Mobo: Hewlett-Packard 2192
    CPU: AMD A6-5200 APU
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 8400
    8GB RAM
    CD/DVD drive not recognized [​IMG]

DellySheCorte, May 27, 2015
  9. First, try inserting a disc in the drive, does it spin up?
    Sometimes, it takes media in the device to be recognized, rare for an optical drive though.

A few other suggestions
    • Try uninstalling the device in Dev mgr, wait 2 or 3 minutes and if Windows doesn't cycle though hardware changes, right click any device and select Scan for Hardware changes.

• You might also want to check File and Folder options in File Explorer
      press the blue file menu,
      select Change folder and Serach options
      select the View tab
      is show empty drives selected?

• It would help members if you could post a screen shot of Dev mgr device properties (post the first 4 tabs)
      If it is an unknown device -post the General tab and the Details.
      On the Details tab, select Hardware IDs from the drop down box

I'm not sure if these suggestions will help. I had a similar issue with a CD drive on a Vista box, turned out to be a hardware issue on the Mobo. The optical drive is really controlled by a few settings (DVD, CD, Writer) and when it doesn't work, it is hard to diagnose.

If the device worked before (recently), it's a Win10 issue, and it might be version specific. There are known issues with AMD graphics drivers, this might extend to the chipset as well - those with Intel boards / CPUs can ignore this part. It's a guess anyway.

If you're comfortable with hardware, you might try removing the optical drive from the box, restarting without it attached, and then shut down, reinstall the optical drive and start up the machine.

Follow instructions in the service manual for your device or on the mfr website.

Slartybart, May 27, 2015
  10. ---I'm okay with opening latops. I've opened this one 3 times, adding SSD HD and upgrading RAM. I'll be able to try this later on, Friday, probably. With it spinning up when a CD is inserted, I'm not sure this would help. I'd appreciate advice on this.

DellySheCorte, May 27, 2015
  11. Great feedback Shelly,

Could you post the other events (420 & 430) - just one of each should do.

If the device is spinning up with a CD inserted, no need to re-seat it, you could still try it if you're up to it.
    Who knows, it might just wake up the device scanner !!!! I'll look up the hardware id and see if that sheds any light on the subject.

One suggestion: When you quote one of my posts - trim it down to just the information to which you're replying (this isn't a rule, it's a readability thing).

In my case, I'm very long winded and adding your information (the important information!) makes a post very very very long.
    You can simply say Hey Bill, here's the stuff you asked to see and add additional feedback from your side of the monitor as you see fit. *Wink

I'll let you know right now - this isn't going to be easy. I'm scratching my head thinking hard ... but I've got nothing really.

Slartybart, May 27, 2015
  12. Shelly,

The unknown device, ACPI\VEN_HPQ&DEV_6001, is HP Wireless Button Driver
    See: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp5850...0/sp58720.html

I'm having a bit of trouble correlating your machine to the softpaq list.
    It shouldn't hurt to try this driver:
    http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58720.exe

This should get rid of the unknown device in Dev mgr, but will not solve the optical drive issue *Wink

MS is doing a splendid job with hardware, but doesn't get everything. Two 'devices' (accelerator sensor and another one - can't recall, too lazy to look it up) are not updated through WU. I disabled both of them in Win7, Win8, Win8.1 anyway so I'm not concerned about the Win10 status in Dev mgr.

As long as you know what Dev mgr is telling you, you can decide to 'solve' the issue by installing the driver from the Mfr site - usually. Win10 isn't usually though - so some drivers might not work with it ... yet.

re: the Optical drive issue. I've read some information that points to the chipset drivers, I need to look a bit more.

+edit
    What does Dev mgr tell you about the following:
    Display adapters
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    System devices -> SM bus Controller
    Universal Serial Bus controllers

What I'm looking for is AMD (the USB 3.0 extensible host is supplied by MS and works well) but the others might clue me in on whether the other AMD chipset drivers are running things or MS drivers are running things.
    You don't need to post screenshots for all of that, just take a look and see if they are labeled AMD or not. Let members know if any are not AMD.

If you're up to the challenge (again, I'm not sure if this will fix the optical drive or not),
    you might try installing the AMD 14-12 chipset drivers
    AMD Chipset Drivers
    press the Optional downloads tab on the page to get to the chipset drivers.

Sometimes AMD drivers are a bit wonky to install.
    See: How-To Install AMD Catalyst Drivers For A Windows Based System
    if you find that the install isn't 'sticking'
    -edit

Slartybart, May 27, 2015
  13. CD/DVD drive not recognized

I've screen shots of everything in the Device Manager.
    Running that driver you input in your last post resolved the Device Manager, unkn device. So, thanks for that! Do you still want the “images of the other events (420 & 430)”?

I upgraded the Chipset driver you also posted. It's funny, but that is usually the first thing I run the install for, from the OEM site, but it wasn't there when I went to the HP site. Again, thanks for that!

So, looking at your comment about the "USB 3.0 extensible host", reminded me that I'd tried to install the 3 USB port replicator files on the HP Support site.
    I downloaded them all:
    SOFTPAQ NUMBER: SP65751 - TITLE: HP Universal Port Replicator Driver
    SOFTPAQ NUMBER: SP65159 - TITLE: HP 3005pr USB 3.0 Port Replicator Driver
    SOFTPAQ NUMBER: SP65752 - TITLE: HP 3001pr USB 3.0 Port Replicator Driver

All had failed to install because the .NET Framework 3.5 failed to install.(This included 2.0 and 3.0)
    Well, I ran the SP65751 and Lo!, and Behold!, the .NET Framework finally installed. (Kinda wondering if the Chipset install helped with that. Dunno.) Now, the 3 drivers above are throwing errors as pictured below. I've rebooted about 5 times, nothing.

OFF TOPIC! … On a side note, went into the Bios during one of the reboots, and turned off Virtualization. Funny thing, keyboard started working again. Figured I'd somehow messed it up with the cracking open of the Laptop and I was going back in again this weekend, reseating the cables. I'd been using a wireless keyboard in the interim. Hmmmmmm. Food for thought.

Images

DellySheCorte, May 28, 2015
  14. Ok, it looks as though the AMD chipset drivers are installed.

If the HP softpaqs are requiring .NET 3.5 - they're pretty old - your machine isn't that old *Wink
    I'll look around HP and see if there isn't a newer SP - they're terrible at keeping the support site up to date, but so are many other mfrs.

I'm not familiar with USB replicator software drivers, so there's another reason to take it slow.
    Do you know for a fact that you need those? Windows is very good now-a-days at supplying HW drivers - of course this is Win10 and there are exceptions. But as a general rule, since Windows 7, I only look for drivers that are either erred out in dev mgr or causing an issue.

You might try this - in Pgms & Feats press Turn Windows Features on or off - then select .NET 3.5 (SB the 1st one in the list). That might stop the errors from being thrown - not sure ... it might already be turned on.
    If it were my machine, I think I'd hold off hoping that a newer USB replicator set is available or uninstall those SPs - Dev mgr didn't flag them as errors did it?

Nope, don't need the evt logs for 420 & 430 - the device is no longer unknown - right? Finding that driver wasn't that hard, I searched for the hardware Id you provided, and then looked on the device support page - nothing! - but searching HP gave me the answer so I could give you the answer *Wink

I got a kick out out the title here ya go Bill

Sooooo , let's return to the optical drive ... I think that's where we started.

Try this:
    Launch an elevated Command prompt and type the following commands

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    SFC /SCANNOWNote: There's a space before each slash / in the command line

DISM uses Windows Update, so it's helpful be connected, otherwise I think it just uses the local WU information already on your machine, again ... not certain about that.
    SFC runs locally on your machine and puts system files in the correct location if needed. (SFC might be redundant - not sure if DISM updates only the store or also updates any other reference location - technically they should be the same)

If either reported any errors, please let members know. They'll tell you when they finish.
    The log is C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log and it might be useful to see - but only if there are errors.

Slartybart, May 28, 2015
  15. I went here: "in Pgms & Feats press Turn Windows Features on or off - then select .NET 3.5 (SB the 1st one in the list)."
    .net was checked, but not the two sub menu’s.
    I enabled/checked those and rebooted.

With Run as Admin Cmd Prompt, ran the following:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Once completed, ran SFC /SCANNOW

RESULTS:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10074]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10074.0

Image Version: 10.0.10074.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]
    The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>SFC /SCANNOW

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired
    them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\Windows\system32>

After both commands completed, then I rebooted. Neither hide nor hair of the DVD player.
    (Log file attached, as I know the geeks love to look at the logs. LOLZ)

DellySheCorte, May 28, 2015
Thema:

1. CD/DVD drive not recognized - Similar Threads - DVD drive recognized

2. CD/DVD not Recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD not Recognized: I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 desktop that doesn't see the DVD/CD player. I think this happened after one of one of the Windows Update. The CD/DVD is shown in the BIOS. When I go into device manager I see the CD/DVD. I then uninstalled the device, restarted the PC and it...
  3. DVD/CD player not recognized

DVD/CD player not recognized: After updating, my DVD/CD player is not recognized Win10/64bit. Why they removed them, is anybody's guess - what a pain - but that's a separate issue. Here's what I've done: 1 Updated all drivers in Device Manager. Made sure all hidden files are showing. Made sure...
  4. DVD/CD-Drive doesn't recognize any DVDs

DVD/CD-Drive doesn't recognize any DVDs: I have an HP 8300 Elite Small Form Factor Desktop Computer, Intel Core i5-3470 Quad core It came with a stock HP CDDVDW SH-216BB DVD/CD-Drive I am running Windows 10 I cannot get the drive to recognize ANY DVDs. When I insert the disc, it attempts to read for a while and...
  5. My CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized.

My CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized.: My CD/DVD drive is not recognized by my HP Elitebook. I tried uninstalling the driver and restarting the system several times. When I restart, the drivers are reinstalled and Device Manager reports that the drive is working correctly. However, the drive does not show up in...
  6. DVD/CD-ROM drive can't recognize disc

DVD/CD-ROM drive can't recognize disc: My optical drive is ATAPI iHAS124 F, and when I put a disc in, the disc doesn't show on File Explorer. When I try to open the disc in VLC Media Player, it doesn't load, and if I select DVD RW Drive (E:) when it has the disc, it would show the hourglass and then not respond....
  7. CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows

CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows: I have a Toshiba Satellite L755 Laptop, and when I bought it from my friend, it was still Windows 7 and the DVD/CD drive worked fine, but after I upgraded to Windows 10, when I put in any disc, it doesn't read. I've contacted support multiple times, they tried to help but...
  8. no recognizing the cd/dvd drive.

no recognizing the cd/dvd drive.: my new computeronly 2 weeks old will not see my cd/dvd player. i have tried several different disk and rebooted the computer but still no recognizing the drive...
  9. No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive

No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive: Since receiving the Win 10 Home upgrade my computer no longer recognizes the DVD drive. It doesn't show in Device Manger or in the device list in This PC although it does spin up if you insert media into it. I've tried all the suggested remedies except messing with the...
  10. CD/DVD ROM not recognized

CD/DVD ROM not recognized: Hello everyone! Yesterday I inserted a CD to install driver for my new headset. The CD-R open, close normally and I also heard the CD spinning. But not thing happened in my laptop at all. I checked This PC: no CD drive (before upgraded to win 10, I had installed win 8.1 and...