Windows 10: CD/DVD drives disapear after a Windows 10 update

Discus and support CD/DVD drives disapear after a Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro everything was fine on my desktop PC. Several days went by as I learned the new OS' interface.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by amcgall, Aug 29, 2015.

1. amcgall Win User

CD/DVD drives disapear after a Windows 10 update

After I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro everything was fine on my desktop PC. Several days went by as I learned the new OS' interface. Then I got an update message telling me that a reboot was required for the updates to take effect. Blindly I went ahead and rebooted as requested. To my astonishment after I rebooted my two DVD drives were no longer recognized by Windows 10. Mind you, they were working just fine after my initial upgrade from 7 to 10.

I tried using the registry hacks I had seen on so many of these forums. None worked.

My only fix was to do a restore to a date & time previous to the update. (Just go to control panel, select recovery and then select open system restore.)

Hopefully, Microsoft will come out with an update that fixes their bad update soon. As I write this I have received another request from Windows 10 for e reboot so as to install more updates. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

:)

amcgall, Aug 29, 2015

2. Windows 10 & the missing cd drive

I've just updated to windows 10 and my cd?dvd drive seems to have disapeared . not physically of course but according to the computer its not there

DavePalmer65, Aug 29, 2015
  3. My DVD Player disappeared after windows 10 upgrade

I have been trying to find a solution to my CD DVD Rom has disapeared. I am begining to think this is a registger problem. This may be stupid but this is what I did. Of course I tried a new drives first - no results.

So here is what I did I typed in as you instructed this

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

Windows 10 in device manager correctly identified the drive which is IHAS 124-14 this by model number.

The drive which is not recognized is this Lite-On 24x Sata internal DVD+/-RW Drive Optical Drive iHAS 124-14. It worked since April, then disapeared POOF.

Windows 10 assumed the drive I requested in windows regristry is an ATAPI. Naturally is does not read a DVD disk. The lite turned on when a disk was put in the drive - and then turned off. MY DRIVE IS A SATA. I have looked and looked can find no reference
    to a registry entry for SATA.

Do you have the registry entry for a SATA CD DVD drive. I think I will then have a solution. I said I think.

Ben Lamfers, Aug 29, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

Do they show up in Device Manager? Welcome to the Forum BTW*Smile

5. amcgall Win User
    Yes they do.

amcgall, Aug 29, 2015
  6. Gary Win User
    OK this happened to me once and I had The circled in red option unchecked. As soon as I checked it and rebooted they showed.

CD/DVD drives disapear after a Windows 10 update [​IMG]

Gary, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. CD/DVD drives disapear after a Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - DVD drives disapear

2. CD/DVD Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD Drive: Cannot get cd/dvd disc drive to be recognised https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/2738a7b0-563c-46a3-9a31-8aa6ce8c8e7d
  3. cd/dvd drive

cd/dvd drive: I can't find the D drive or a cd/dvd drive on my hp laptop running windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/1b318ed9-49d2-466a-a7f0-9983b5cec98d
  4. CD/DVD drive not recognized after Windows update

CD/DVD drive not recognized after Windows update: After windows installed the last update on my win 10 pro/64 it doesn't recognize my cd/dvd drive at all. Its not listed even in device manager or anywhere at all. It fails to find it when you ask it to locate it. I'm not a geek and have tried all the easier things I could on...
  5. cd/dvd drive

cd/dvd drive: although previously working ok, my HP pavilion will not run cd/dvd, I think since Windows 10 updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/2052dead-0253-46dc-a189-ffe263dd0d15
  6. Missing Cd DVD Drive after update to Windows 10

Missing Cd DVD Drive after update to Windows 10: I tried to burn a cd on my computer and kept getting the message that I don't have a cd burner. I looked in device manager and the cv dvd hard drive was missing. I went into the hidden devices and found the cd drive there but it says that its not connected to my computer...
  7. cd/dvd drive

cd/dvd drive: I have a new/used laptop and can't see the files from my cd/dvd drive. Device manager says drive is working properly, but it's not. Can someone help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/4a1c6a9a-0e94-4804-9a7f-b7f99b2d551a
  8. CD/DVD Drive

CD/DVD Drive: I am having problems with the CD/DVD Drive on my 5yr old (I think) Sony Vaio Laptop. When I put in a CD or DVD it will spin 3-4 times but will not load. I am using Windows 10 however I think it was working for a while after I got Windows 10. I have tried uninstalling and...
  9. DVD/CD DRIVE NOT READING MY DVD AFTER UPDATING LAST UPDATE OF WINDOW 10

DVD/CD DRIVE NOT READING MY DVD AFTER UPDATING LAST UPDATE OF WINDOW 10: I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with no Problems,When I push the button to open the cd/dvd drive it opens,but the disk does not spin every troubleshoot says there is no problem, , and the app associated with the disk just says "Please Insert Disk"... Under Explorer,...
  10. No CD/DVD drive

No CD/DVD drive: After installing Microsofts Windows 10 upgrade I have found that it does not see my CD/DVD drive, I did have this problem once before with Windows 7 but was able to download a program from Microsoft called MrFixit.dvd.exe, when I tried running the software it reported that my...