Windows 10: CD/DVD read taking forever

Discus and support CD/DVD read taking forever in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Ever since I upgraded to W10, I get this problem wherein if I insert a disk in either of my two optical drivers, it would take Windows forever to read... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by djdelarosa25, Oct 26, 2015.

1. CD/DVD read taking forever

Ever since I upgraded to W10, I get this problem wherein if I insert a disk in either of my two optical drivers, it would take Windows forever to read them and if I click them before they complete loading, Windows would become unresponsive and Explorer would crash. Mind you, it also happens even if the contents of the disk have already loaded. But even though the contents of the disk have showed, they all have blank white icons.

I already tried sfc /scannow and they it reported no issues.

Didn't have this issue back when I had W7 Ultimate.

:)

djdelarosa25, Oct 26, 2015

2. CD not reading Cds but reads and plays DVD's

Hi,

You may need to contact the original manufacturer of your PC since it is most likely a compatibility issue with the CD/DVD burner and Windows 10.

Thank you.

Jairit Bet, Oct 26, 2015
  3. BKMOATS Win User
    CD not reading Cds but reads and plays DVD's

Recently upgraded to Windows 10...my cd/dvd burner reads and plays DVDs and previously burned data discs and DVDS. It does not recognize store purchased music cds or software.

1. Yes I have good software installed..

2. Yes, it shows up correctly in Device Manager. (exactly how it appeared in Windows 7)

3. Yes it shows up correctly as the same thing in all views.

3. Yes, I have swapped cables around on the drive and even installed new cables.

4. Yes it reads everything from the cmd prompt.

5. YES, I have reset the Operating System to a clean install.

6. Yes, I have tried changing the drive letter.

7. Yes the drivers are correct. (Uninstall and reinstall does not work)

8. Yes, all the autoplay features and default apps are set correctly.

9. My CD worked as recently as 2 days before I upgraded. ( I double checked the functions of ALL my hardware, printer. webcam,

cd/dvd, etc. before the windows 10 install.

10. YES, the system WILL boot from a recovery CD, so I am assuming it is not the Hardware (laser lens or drive)

11. Nothing different in the Boot menu or bios.

I have the same make, just a little different model in my laptop with windows 10. It works just fine.

So I take a burner out of another PC (different brand) I have sitting around that is working on windows 7 and install it and guess what ? It does the same thing even with new cables. etc.

EVERYTHING else works just fine... I have no problem playing music from any other source, USB, external Hard drive, etc.

What gives ? Look, I need my CD.. I still use it for burning music and installing software, etc.

Thanks ahead of time...

So, here is how I solved it. I didn't change a thing except try two more drives..(newer ones.. Neither of the ones with M Disc capability worked on this PC with windows 10. I installed another older but new plain old cd/dvd burner and it works just fine
    so far. I'm not going into the model numbers or brand names, but this may be a solution for other people if they have one with M disc or just problems..I was just lucky to have some other computers and parts lying around to swap. We will see what happens
    if I install a BD drive, but right now this will work because my Windows 7 PC can continue to do my heavy burning...I still think it is a serious issue with windows 10, because Plug and Play is certainly not working.

BKMOATS, Oct 26, 2015
Thema:

CD/DVD read taking forever

1. CD/DVD read taking forever - Similar Threads - DVD read taking

2. Roofull cd dvd player works on cd's but won't read DVD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Roofull cd dvd player works on cd's but won't read DVD.: Roofull A41-su, cd dvd player won't recognize DVD-R, works great on CD's.*Moved from feedback. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/roofull-cd-dvd-player-works-on-cds-but-wont-read/6e352226-c0f5-4b99-8fb7-85985cf5203d
  3. Roofull cd dvd player works on cd's but won't read DVD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Roofull cd dvd player works on cd's but won't read DVD.: Roofull A41-su, cd dvd player won't recognize DVD-R, works great on CD's.*Moved from feedback. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/roofull-cd-dvd-player-works-on-cds-but-wont-read/6e352226-c0f5-4b99-8fb7-85985cf5203d
  4. Roofull cd dvd player works on cd's but won't read DVD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. dvd/CD rom not reading

dvd/CD rom not reading: operating system : win 10 64 bit dvd/cd rom drives: matshita dvd-ram uj8b0 device status: This device is working properly i uninstalled all antivirus programs still not reading discs i uninstalled and reinstalled still not reading any DVD OR CD I DID SEARCH FOR...
  6. CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs

CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs: My CD/DVD drive cannot read/write to DVD, yet it reads and writes to CDs! The Device Manages shows that the drive is working normally, yet when I insert a DVD, I get the error message "no media"! I have tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it, but the fault...
  7. Can't read CD/DVD

Can't read CD/DVD: Wanted to write some series of the Prison Break to a DVD-R 1x-16 4.7 GB/120min and i did it in my new PC. The disk is created for a laptop wich has a MATHSITA DVD-RAM UJ88D1 reader/writer. I have some other same type of disks with other series from the Prison Break and when I...
  8. cd/dvd not reading/writing

cd/dvd not reading/writing: I have a hp notebook series 2000 laptop and my computer recognizes drive E as the cd/dvd drive and opens tray and says please insert disc. but when a disc is inserted it still tells me to insert disc. I've tried a few different brands and none of them are registering and...
  9. DVD/CD-ROM Read Problems

DVD/CD-ROM Read Problems: Hi: I have just come across a funny one. I have a program that I wanted to install into my Win 10 Pro Machine (64 Bit) and have found that the disk can not be read by the DVD/CD-ROM Drive. I also tried it in another Windows 10 Computer (64 Bit) and it also can't read...
  10. CD/DVD Drive not reading discs

CD/DVD Drive not reading discs: Hello! Since upgrading to Windows 10 my PC has been unable to read any CD/DVD disc I put in. I hear it spinning so I doubt there's any problem with the CD/DVD Drive itself. [img] I was thinking it could be a driver issue, but there doesn't seem like there's any...