Windows 10: Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows

Discus and support Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "USB 3 Link Power Management" from Power Options in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows

How to: Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows

How to Add or Remove "USB 3 Link Power Management" from Power Options in Windows

The USB 3 Link Power Management setting in Power Options allows users to specify the power management policy to use for USB 3 links when they are idle.

Users can specify one of the following policies:

[table][tr][td]USB 3 Link Power Management policy[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Off[/td] [td]Do not enable the U1 U2 states.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Minimum power savings[/td] [td]Enable the U1 U2 states, but choose conservative timeout values to optimize for performance.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Moderate power savings[/td] [td]Enable the U1 U2 states, and choose optimal timeout values to balance power and performance.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Maximum power savings[/td] [td]Enable the U1 U2 states, and choose aggressive timeout values to optimize for power.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

For more information about USB 3 Link Power Management, see:
    This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the USB 3 Link Power Management under USB settings in Power Options for all users in Windows 8 and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to add or remove this setting in Power Options.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Add or Remove "USB 3 Link Power Management" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    • Option Two: Add or Remove "USB 3 Link Power Management" in Power Options using REG file

EXAMPLE: "USB 3 Link Power Management" in Power Options

Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Add or Remove "USB 3 Link Power Management" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    (Add)
    powercfg -attributes 2a737441-1930-4402-8d77-b2bebba308a3 d4e98f31-5ffe-4ce1-be31-1b38b384c009 -ATTRIB_HIDE

OR

(Remove - default)
    powercfg -attributes 2a737441-1930-4402-8d77-b2bebba308a3 d4e98f31-5ffe-4ce1-be31-1b38b384c009 +ATTRIB_HIDE
    3. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Add or Remove "USB 3 Link Power Management" in Power Options using REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\2a737441-1930-4402-8d77-b2bebba308a3\d4e98f31-5ffe-4ce1-be31-1b38b384c009

Attributes DWORD

1 = Remove
    2 = Add

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "USB 3 Link Power Management" to Power Options
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_USB_3_Link_Power_Management_to_Power_Options.reg

Download

3. To Remove "USB 3 Link Power Management" from Power Options
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_USB_3_Link_Power_Management_from_Power_Options.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 3, 2017
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Managing Power Options in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I will help you with the information that you are looking for. A Power Plan is a collection of hardware and the system settings that manages the power consumption done by the computer. The available Power Plan depends on the kind of PC that you are
    using.

However, below is the information about the options available in Power Plans:

Selective Suspend setting: This feature allows the Windows to suspend (put in to low-power mode) a particular USB port and keeps the other USB ports available. This helps in saving overall power consumption done at the
    USB level. If you enable this setting, it will help you in saving battery on the laptop.

Turn off hard disk after: This setting turns off the Hard Disk when the PC is idle for the configured time. This will turn off the hard drive and when any software accesses the drive, it will take some time to access the
    files. Since you are using a SSD, this option will not affect it, as SSD doesn’t have any spinning parts and they are more power efficient.

PCI Link State Power Management: It is a part of the PCIE Active State Power Management. The PCI Express takes stream of data from the PCI Express device to keep them coordinated. There are two options, Moderate and Maximum.

• If you select Moderate, the power saving is less, but the time to recover from sleep is shorter.
    • If you select Maximum, the power saving is more, but the time to recover from sleep is longer.

System Cooling Policy: The System Cooling Policy allows you to manage the cooling mode of the processor.

• If it is set to Active the fan speed will be increased before slowing the processor.
    • If it is set to Passive, it slows the processor before increasing the fan speed.

Multi-media settings: The sharing media option allows the user to define what the computer does when a device or a computer is playing media from the computer.

• Allow the computer to sleep will now allow other devices to play media from the computer while the computer is in sleep mode.
    • Prevent idling to sleep will allow other devices to play media from the computer until you put the computer to sleep.
    • Allow the computer to enter Away mode will allow other devices to play media from the computer when the computer is in Away mode. Away mode is similar to the sleep and hibernate mode.
    The Video playback quality bias allows the user to optimize the video streaming for battery usage or for video quality.

Wireless Adapter Settings: The Wireless Adapter Setting allows you to manage the strength and performance of the Wireless Network.

• The Maximum performance will give you maximum Wireless performance but there will be no power saving.
    • The Low Power Saving will only give minimum power saving.
    • The Medium Power Saving will balance between the performance and the power saving depending on the network traffic.
    • The Maximum Power Saving will give you the maximum power saving but less Wireless performance.

Ideally, changing the resolution will not make any change to the battery life. However, you may follow the steps mentioned in the article

Battery saving tips
    to extend the battery life.

For additional information, you can also refer the HP article
    HP Notebook PCs - Managing Power Options (Windows 10)

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 27, 2019
  3. No power at usb

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I am glad to assist you.

"I have checked and followed the instructions in Device Manager, Trouble shooting , settings, update driver and audio within the computer

Also various links within this forum with no success"

What troubleshooting steps did you try to resolve the issue?

I would suggest you to run the hardware and device troubleshooter and check:

Try these steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Click view all in the left panel.
    • Select ‘Hardware and devices' and follow the on-screen instructions.
    If you think that it is the power that is causing this, run the Power Troubleshooter.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.
    • Click on “Power”.
    • Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

I would suggest you to restore default settings of power plan and check if it helps.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click on the Power Options icon.
    • Click on Change advanced power settings.
    • Select the option “Restore default settings for this plan”.

Hope this post is helpful. Get back to us with the results. We are happy to help.

Joy Kemprai, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows

Platform Power Management CapabilitiesAdd USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows :pCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern with the battery report. Active State Power Management or ASPM is a power management protocol used to manage PCI Express-based serial link devices as links become less active over time. It is normally used on laptops and
    other mobile Internet devices to extend battery life.

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the make and model of the PC?
    • Are there any devices connected to the computer?

Please respond to the private message with the required information for further investigation. However, we would suggest you to perform these steps.

Change the advanced power plan settings.

1. Right click at Windows Start menu icon and select Control Panel.
    2. Set the View by to: Small icons.
    3. Click on Power Option, then click on Change plan setting.
    4. Select Changeadvanced power settings.
    5. Scroll down and expand PCI Express and
      Link State Power Management
    6. Change the option for both On battery
      and Plugged in to Maximum power savings.
    7. Then click Ok.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Xylee Del Win User
    Windows 10 power options

Hi Robert,

About your concern with Windows 10 power options, applied settings may not be recognized due to several reasons. We suggest that you run the Windows 10 Power troubleshooter. Here are the steps to follow:

• Go to Search, type troubleshoot, and click Troubleshooting.
    • Under System and Security, click Improve power usage.
    • The troubleshooting wizard will automatically start. It will try to solve any detected issues.

Let us know if you need further assistance regarding your concern.

Xylee Del, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Windows 10 Power Options Not working

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Use the hardware troubleshooter to fix the issue

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues with it and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.
    Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key to get the Start menu.
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search box right up corner and hit enter.
    • Click on Troubleshooting tab.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner.
    • Select the power options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the power Troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Also I suggest you to create a new power plan and check if it helps.

• Go to control panel and then click on power options.
    • Then click on create new power plan.
    • Change the power plan accordingly and check.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows

1. Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows - Similar Threads - Add USB Link

2. Can't find processor power management in power options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find processor power management in power options: How to fix this problem? And can I increase cpu speed with this option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-processor-power-management-in-power/5215cb1e-5c0c-4381-a150-850f1f7473b3
  3. Add AHCI Link Power Management

in Windows 10 Support
    Add AHCI Link Power Management: Add ACCI Link Power Management 175408
  4. power option processor power management

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    power option processor power management: i have problem when i put on maximum processor state to 100% fps drops and when it is on 80% there are no more fps drops pls can someone help me submitted by /u/Impuls45 [link] [comments]...
  5. CPU Power Management Option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU Power Management Option: Hello, I have a Dell G5 Gaming Laptop, my CPU doesn't seem to let me adjust it's performance in BIOS, so I have looked into the power plan and adjusted that. The system performs well and all, but some games need a faster individual CPU speed and my CPU isn't even trying to go...
  6. Power Management Options

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power Management Options: Hello, i am having an issue with a Dell all in one that i purchased recently. i use this computer as the main computer of my network where certain shared files are located. i have the power setting to turn off the display after 10 minutes but for the system i have it set to...
  7. Add shortcut to Power options?

in Windows 10 Support
    Add shortcut to Power options?: The Power options on the Start Menu has 3 items: Sleep, Shut down and Restart. I've created a shortcut to lock the screen, which is on the desktop. Is it possible to include it in the Power options? [img] 38547
  8. Add AHCI Link Power Management - Adaptive to Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add AHCI Link Power Management - Adaptive to Power Options in Windows: How to: Add AHCI Link Power Management - Adaptive to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "AHCI Link Power Management - Adaptive" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options allows users to configure the link power management mode for disk and storage...
  9. Remove 'Link State Power Management' in Power Options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove 'Link State Power Management' in Power Options in Windows 10: How to: Remove 'Link State Power Management' in Power Options in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Link State Power Management' from Power Options in Windows 10 Power Options that allows users to specify the Active State Power Management (ASPM) policy to use for capable...
  10. Add AHCI Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add AHCI Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows: How to: Add AHCI Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options allows users to configure the link power management mode for disk and storage devices that...